Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is it cheap to make movies in Canada??

heidiho
November 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
But yet it is so expensive to live there??Always wondered about that??

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM
The movie people coming from the states used to have a blast because one US dollar was worth a third more here. Now it's evening out a bit more, so it's less advantageous from that stand point, so instead, they get massive subsidies from the government. :shrug:

And it's so expensive to live here because we have to pay half our salaries (ok, not mine because I'm still unemployed, but you know...) to the taxman so he can pay the big rich movie people to shoot their movies here (among other things, like free health care and things like that...).

:shrug:

OntarioGreys
November 17th, 2006, 05:15 AM
The movie people coming from the states used to have a blast because one US dollar was worth a third more here. Now it's evening out a bit more, so it's less advantageous from that stand point, so instead, they get massive subsidies from the government. :shrug:

And it's so expensive to live here because we have to pay half our salaries (ok, not mine because I'm still unemployed, but you know...) to the taxman so he can pay the big rich movie people to shoot their movies here (among other things, like free health care and things like that...).

:shrug:

Compare industry wages for camera personm technical staff, stages crews, lower end actors in the 2 countries and in the US much of the industry is all unionized, here it less so, therefore the film companies don't have to offer all the benefits and wages

It is really no different than asking why is General Motors building cars in China, mexico etc it is about maximizing profits

Rick C
November 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
But yet it is so expensive to live there??Always wondered about that??

Well, I don't think it's as expensive to live here as it would be to live on Maui!!! :sorry:

Until recently, Calgary was one of the lowest cost of living major cities in North America . . . . . that's changed in the last few years with the oil boom obviously.

I think you would find that the proportion of income dedicated to taxes might be higher in Canada BUT those taxes, in theory, produce services you would have to pay out of pocket in the USA. Prescription drugs, health care, etc.

Canadians can't agree on much but it would be fair to say the overwhelming majority wouldn't want anything to do with American style health care . . . . yet Americans themselves would probably have the opposite view.

A movie like Open Range by Kevin Costner (great movie) was made in Canada, not so far from our house actually, primarily because of the currency differential at the time and labour costs more flexible than the highly unionized film industry in California.

Costner, on his DVD, flat out states that he wanted to make the movie in America but the extra $3 million to $5 million he saved on the budget in Canada was the sole reason the film became possible . . . . and therefore Canada was where it had to be filmed.

The same story is true of Brokeback Mountain, also filmed nearby.

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/open_range/04.jpeg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah!? (lol like it's a contest..).. We had "The Score" with Robert DeNiro and "The Red Violin" with Samuel L Jackson... Ooo and Barney's Big Adventure... Among others of course.:D

Vancouver gets a lot of tv shows... (like the X files maybe?) Men in Trees (new show) is filmed near Squamish, BC I think...

Rick C
November 17th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Oh yeah!? (lol like it's a contest..)..

Vancouver gets a lot of tv shows... (like the X files maybe?) Men in Trees (new show) is filmed near Squamish, BC I think...

How could you forget Battlestar Galactica, filmed in Vancouver . . . . . and an upcoming episode filmed outside of Kamloops.

For shame!!!

South of Calgary, in Longview, population about 500, there's a little place called "Memories Inn," a favourite, out of the way, watering hole and buffet place where you can find autographed pictures from guys like Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven) and Robert Duvall on the wall. I think Brad Pitt ("Legends of the Fall" and the upcoming "Jesse James") is also up there. . . . . . it's the closest civilization to where these westerns are usually filmed.

In answer to Heidiho, an interesting link regarding cost differentials between Canada and the USA:

http://www.albertafilm.ca/web/ab_costs.php

The original Superman movie was filmed here. Scenes for Dr. Zhivago. Jackie Chan's Shanghai Noon. The television series Lonesome Dove.

A list of Alberta production credits:

http://www.albertafilm.ca/web/productions_highlights.php

Here's a recent, underrated one, that the ladies would probably love, sometimes showing up on the movie channels these days: "The Magic Of Ordinary Days." Really, a wonderful film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406046/

You might recognize Skeech Ulrich from the new hit "Jericho" . . . . and he's in People Magazine this week I think.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
OK THANKS AND YEAH LIVING HERE IS NOT CHEAP,BUT LIKE THE PLACE WE BOUGHT IS ONLY 600 SQUARE FEET ONE BEDROOM ACROSS STREET FROM BEACH IN A SO SO NEIGHBORHOOD WITH NICE NEIGHBORHOODS SURROUNDING IT.What would that cost there?? And besides being here i have to say CANADA IS JUST PERFECT LOOKING IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL THERE,I WOULD LOVE TO LIVE THERE EXCEPT FOR THE COLD

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I Thought Legend Was Filmed In Montana???

Rick C
November 17th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I Thought Legend Was Filmed In Montana???

Locations for Legends Of The Fall:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110322/locations

OK THANKS AND YEAH LIVING HERE IS NOT CHEAP,BUT LIKE THE PLACE WE BOUGHT IS ONLY 600 SQUARE FEET ONE BEDROOM ACROSS STREET FROM BEACH IN A SO SO NEIGHBORHOOD WITH NICE NEIGHBORHOODS SURROUNDING IT.What would that cost there??

You're not going to find a lot of beaches where I live!!! Got to go north or west for that.

If you're talking Vancouver, Victoria, etc on the Pacific coast, the the costs are probably fairly comparable. If you're talking 4000 miles away on the Atlantic, in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, etc then Maui would probably be a lot more expensive. If you're talking lakefront in southern Ontario, Quebec or some of the lakes in mid-Alberta then you're getting expensive in Canada again.

It's a big place.

Maui real estate comparables:

http://www.mauirealestate.net/

Lastly, have a blast of winter, beachfront, in a place that's in Brokeback Mountain (only in the summer):

http://www.goldentales.ca/10370120_edited-1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:41 PM
See that is just beautiful,wow........More pics

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM
How could you forget Battlestar Galactica, filmed in Vancouver . . . . . and an upcoming episode filmed outside of Kamloops.

For shame!!!
[...]
The original Superman movie was filmed here. Scenes for Dr. Zhivago. Jackie Chan's Shanghai Noon. The television series Lonesome Dove.
Oh, Jackie Chan? You win.:D

As for BG... For shame? I don't think so.:D ;)

Rick C
November 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM
See that is just beautiful,wow........More pics

Since its your thread to hijack if you want, a couple more . . . . but only winter shots . . . .

On the beach at Lake Louise, Alberta in February . . . . skating around an ice castle beneath Victoria Glacier . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/09230086_edited-1.jpg

Winter sunrise at our place . . . . cattle on the far slope.

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1020265_edited-3.jpg

Keeper emerges from the forest, the foothills and the Rockies in front of her . . . . near our home.

http://www.goldentales.ca/07770138_edited-1.jpg

The bleakness of a prairie winter . . . . but lots to do if you're a dog.

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1010693_edited-2.jpg

Lots more pics for you to peruse, Heidiho, at www.goldentales.ca, if you wish . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

technodoll
November 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM
rick, you *almost* make me want winter to be here... almost! :D

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Other than suggesting the Cdn dollar and fewer actors who need to be paid rates because they do not belong to Actors Guild - same for other professions but that is changing - (I have a cousin in Mtl in the movie biz and with the increase in the dollar, they are worried). of course, some provinces provide incentives - but so do some states.

As for living in Canada being more expensive, it is too diverse of a country (like the US) to make that assessment or observation. I'm with Rick on that issue. Real Estate values vary widely tho I must say my parents' home in Fla (not all that unsimilar from their home in NB) is worth much more and both are located in upscale sections of the community. It is really too long to explain here - for me anyway, lol (I am too long winded, sigh). I have lived in the US and Canada (Mass and Vt and know Fla) and well, Mass is called Taxachusetts for a reason and it is sort of similar to Canada. We have higher taxes. Think of NH with no sales tax and Fla counties where one county is 6 cents /$1 and another 7 cents. We have more centralized provincial govts. But the other taxes vary - just like they do in the US.

I found Boston an expensive city - more so than the Maritimes or Quebec. Quebec is actually not all that bad in comparison to some parts of the Maritimes. (So I always shopped in NH, Brookline and Cambridge where I lived being expsnisve!)

That said, what we lose in taxes is compensated by the public services. My parents pay taxes to a privatized company (likely someone who has a contract or possibly he ran for the position, can't recall offhand - I do know they elect the mosquito Control Board but hire the "dogcatcher" - hate that term!! Americans pay more in taxes for e health system many of them essentially do not even have access to. They pay more taxes than we do yet we have "universal health care" - the greater admin costs so much more. I always recall a visiting health care administrator who asked where our insurance and admin section was - we pointed to the few clerks and accountants we had (maybe a few offices, not counting the people who work when patients check in who ask for their "Medicare" (MSI, etc) card (not the same as Medicare in the US which is a system for people who need help and qualify b/c their income is below a certain level. Here, a medicare or MSI (what it's called in NS), it is administered by the provinces - card is given to every Canadian citizen - tho you do have to apply. (Just like applying for your SIN). That's just one example.

I do think overall, it is cheaper to live in the US but you lose certain benefits if you move there as a Canadian - which is one reason I have turned down numerous recruiters. (Now, I do like the warm weather in the south tho, lol)
I have found food prices to be inconsistent - cereal is the same price for example - which makes it more expensive if you are paying it based on a Cdn dollar.

I grew up next to the border so we always went to shop in Maine and Vermont. Even if the US dollar was higher (and I can recall when it was at par in the 80's), there were bargains on certain items.

It's too bad we could not have the best of both countries!! <g>

Rick C
November 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Another key difference in housing prices is that in America you can deduct mortgage interest from your taxes . . . . . this has the effect of inflating house prices, even encouraging long term debt.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca