Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

beagle with sore paws

leo burke
February 28th, 2004, 02:36 PM
While hunting with my beagle last week i noticed he would lie down occasionally and lick his paws. But it was not until at the end of the day that i noticed his paws were sort of red and a bit bloody around the nails.
I have not had him hunting since and will not until next october because rabbit season is now over for the year.
I do not leave him out of doors during the night as it is quite cold here in newfoundland during winter.
did i do right by not hunting with him since last week or should i have continued?
We have a fair bit of snow on the ground at this time of year and i worry about injuring him further.
He is not limping but still continues to lick his paws when outdoors.
Any help or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.
thanks
Leo

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2004, 02:51 PM
If the ground is icy and frozen, I suggest you put boots on him in the winter.

My dog's paws bleed too if I take her out in the winter with no boots on.

Short haired dogs like yours and mine have no protection from sharp ice and do get cut. Let his feet heal, and if it's still icy when you take him out, get boots first.

leo burke
February 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
George, is basically a hunting dog.
How would i keep boots on his feet in the woods when he is chasing rabbits?
Leo

Luba
February 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Basically a hunting dog? So not a family member?

The Husky's wear them when they pull sled, no reason your dog can't.

Put some vitamin e on the pads.

Carina
February 28th, 2004, 09:01 PM
I was actually at a huge outdoors/hunting store today (Cabelas) looking for some training dumbells for one of my dogs. They had an entire wall of hunting dog protective wear - lots of booties, vests, all kids of stuff.
I bet if you go to Cabelas, Outdoor World, or a big hunting supply place either online or to the store, you'll find something for George's feet - it seems many hunters do this.
Also vaseline helps. It prevents ice from forming little chunks between the toes, which can cut & abrade the dog's feet (speaking from experience.)

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2004, 09:25 PM
My dog runs through very deep snow in the woods and these boots don't come off, and as Luba said, sled dogs wear them too and they run all day.

The boots I got come from Toronto. YOu can order them online (get the fleece lined ones) and they are worth every penny. I've tried other kinds, but they all came off in deep snow.

Carina, you might want to take a look also - since your US bucks go a lot further!;)

These are the best booties on the market!!

Muttluks (www.muttluks.com)

Luba
February 28th, 2004, 09:46 PM
When Sadie finishes her growing she's getting a pair for sure!

Carina
February 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM
LR, I may get those for next year! The dogs love taking long snowy walks, even when it's bitterly cold out. (Rottweilers tend to be extremely tolerant of cold weather.)

My regular coated Rottweilers do fine. But Cooper with his long hair quickly forms ice chunks between his toes and they can bleed & quite uncomfortable. I trimmed the hair on his feet, but it was tough to get it real short between his toes.

Lucky Rescue
February 29th, 2004, 10:16 AM
I cannot rave about these boots enough. Everything said on the site is true. My dog hates to have hers put on, (she looks like I"m beating her) but LOVES to wear them outside and not freeze and cut her feet.:)

Just make sure you size the fitting chart correctly before you download it. The boots must be snug.

Also, you can sometimes get them on Ebay for very low prices!

leo burke
February 29th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Luba
Basically a hunting dog? So not a family member?

The Husky's wear them when they pull sled, no reason your dog can't.

Put some vitamin e on the pads.

Sorry for the choice of words luba.
George is most definitly a family member.
My family continually kids me about how i am going to ruin a good hunting dog by having him live indoors.
But i say if your dog has the instincts born in to him, it should not matter how SOFT his life is.
I enjoy George's company and would not have it any other way.
By the way thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try some dog boots on George this winter.
Leo

Lucky Rescue
February 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM
But i say if your dog has the instincts born in to him, it should not matter how SOFT his life is

That is so right, and I'm glad you aren't going with outdated notions! Kindness does not harm a dog's instincts, in fact it makes him bond more closely with you and want to please you even more!

I had a greyhound who would lie around in a stupor on my sofa all day, but once outside, he was on High Alert, and if he saw as much as a piece of paper blowing in the distance he was ready to GO!

Luba
March 1st, 2004, 01:03 AM
:D

Glad to see you aren't listening to the ole farts who think you'll ruin your dog!!

LOVE THAT PUPPY!!