Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Jim G

Jim G
November 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hi to everyone !!!
Firstly, I'm going to drop the G ....my name's Jim.
I need info about my 8 month old Schitzus Lucy and Benny.
My wife and I just love them beyond belief !! Talk about 8 legs of attitude.
Lucy has that "in your face" straight at you personality while her brother is just a big old easy going teddy bear.
I came for quick info but glad I stayed.
Little Lucy came down with a urinary infection and has been on medication for the last 2 weeks. My wife has known our vet. and her family for the last 20 years so we trust her however she instructed us to switch from Canadae dry food to Royal Canin SO. That was 2 weeks ago.
After a couple of days I observed Lucy passing very small amounts of hard stooles. I wondered if this food was any good.
My wife and I ended up at Pet food store dealing in high end brands of food.
Several people in this store are very helpful but when my wife mentioned the switch to RC SO they were mortified !!! Absolute garbage....recalls this year on the canned SO ...Corn is no good for them....questionable meat content and cellulose which they stated was basically wood sawdust.

So back to the Canadae we went, but this morning our vet did another urine sample and the crystals have gotten worse. Did she blast us for switching.
She stakes her reputation on the vet-line of Canin food and was very concerned about the state of our puppy.
Please forgive me for being long winded, but we are supposed to start Lucy back on the Roya Canin SO in the morning and a urine sample to follow in 2 weeks. But with all the negative stuff I've read about Royal Canin I just don't know what to do.
Thanks for the taking the time to read this.
Jim ( and Gloria,Lucy and Benny):o

Jim G
November 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I guess I'm not starting off very well. I was so anxious I didn't read the rules very well and posted my health question in the wrong location.

Blathach
November 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Moved to health forum.

Sariss
November 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I believe the diet you are being given is used to dissolve the crystals, and it not a diet that your dog needs to be on the rest of her life. Your best bet is to keep on that food until the infection is cleared up. As much as everyone hates the food, in most cases it has good results.

Angies Man
November 17th, 2006, 12:17 AM
A little corn isn't going to hurt your dog--Royal Canin SO is a special diet to treat your dog's urinary tract problem. If you don't trust your vet's judgement, you should discuss this with her and then, if necessary, find another veterinarian that makes you feel more confident.

Your vet has years and years of training, reading, and experience to help her make informed decisions. Those folks at the high end pet food store, while probably meaning well, don't have the benefit of those years of training, reading, and experience. I know who I'd be more likely to trust.

My best to you and your pup, hope she gets better real soon!