Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet nicknames

ByronsMum
November 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
What have people nicknamed their pet(s)?

Byron is called "little beanie", "boo-boo" and "little baby".

The cats are called "Mr. [insert cat's name]"; Paddy is called Pad-Pad; Eoin is called Owen-Bowen.

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Jemma responds to: cutie, Jemmie, good girl, baby girl, kitty, crabby girl....

Boo responds (most) to: Boobie, Biggie, Big Boo (only that comes out like "Bee-Boo"), Bad dog, good boy.. Oh and sometimes he's my Biggally Boogally...

Oh and both of them understand "you guys"... Like "don't run away you guys" or "where'd you guys go" or "come back you guys!!!"... Ok maybe they don't know that one so well afterall.:D

dogcatharmony
November 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
My dog zoe responds to boo bear and zubanov, she knows when we call her by her name it either means business or to mind her manners. my cat amos' nickname is bigcat( which comes from him being 21 lbs) or mussy. And last cat but not least is phoebe, and her nickname is bee bee ( she is a queenbee lol). oh i should include my hubby in here too ( he is on of my pets too:evil: ) and he responds to anything i call him, except his NAME!!! But i have heard that this is a genetic thing :shrug: LOL

joeysmama
November 16th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Cooper is Coop Doggie Dog, Cooper Duper Dog, Duper Dog, The Coop, Coops de Ville, and Poopie Coopie.

Prin, when my son was little I sometimes called him Bee-boo. Also, Boomby Bear--don't ask me why.:shrug: Maybe I should have named my daughter Jemma--then we'd have a matched set.:)

technodoll
November 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM
funny enough, the only nicknames here are "cody" (mostly used for recall when i can't see them anymore in the woods or the fields), and they understand "kids", as in "come on kids, let's go". they don't know they're beanies, that's only talk between hubby and I :)

dtbmnec
November 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Leo: Little Leo, baby, Leo baby, cat

Pawz: baby, cat....

Dart: doesn't ahve any...

I do call all three of them my little demons....but that's just me....

Megan

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Well Hunter is...most usually just Hunter, but my father coined "Hunt-choo" I guess that is how it is spelled, lol. Don't ask, but it stuck. And to my he is my pupper:cloud9: .

Cassie's nickname is Chicken (self explanatory), other than that she is baby but it comes out as beebee i guess(awwww, lol).

So silly:D

~michelle~
November 16th, 2006, 05:47 PM
logan gets loogey or chris niece calls him loogan
braxton brack-a-wack, or baby babe, or lil one
moe, is mr moe, or two toes, or moosh
maggie and aiden dont have nick names

kmjx65
November 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Both of my dogs respond to baby, kids, [dog name] monster or monster.

Ebie has Eebster, Eeb, or Eeber.

Cookie has Cook and Cookster - she just recently learned her name.

:offtopic: but how did everyone come up with their names for their dogs? and how long did it take you?

With Ebie we knew right away. Cookie was decided on at least 2 weeks after she got her.

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
It took us forever to come up with a name for Hunter. We had him picked out in early April and didn't get to take him home until April 27, but he was born in March and we knew we were getting a male.
So that is when we started coming up with ideas. I got a book with baby names in it and thats how we started picking out faves.
We were still undecided until about a week before we got him and the man said "what about Hunter" and when we went to pick him up and said his name and he waddled over to us, it was decided.

Cassie's name was decided by me and my brother. He was being very picky and when I said Cassie he agreed, so that was it. She was his dog, but now he spends most of his time in Alberta so she became mine, with no hesitation from me, lol.

TeriM
November 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Lucy is LucyLoos, Lulu, Lulubell, pretty girl
Riley is Riley-Rie, Brat, Monster, baby boy
Desi is snotty girl, Desiree
Fred is handsome boy, scaredy cat, Frederick

I was going for a theme with the names Lucy, Desi, Fred and .. Ethel .. but I figured that Riley would end up with issues if I gave hime a girl name.

brandynva
November 16th, 2006, 06:36 PM
We call Mileva, (pronounced ma-lay-vah) Leva, or baby girl, or my puppy. Roscoe is generally Roscums or Roscurs or stumpy, cuz his legs are so short. hehe

wdawson
November 16th, 2006, 07:01 PM
ozzy.....girlie girl........nicknamed after we found out he was a girl:D
beathoven.....monkey....nicknamed for stealing off tables\counters as a pup
tigger.....tiggy,tiglette
felix....none
george...none

normag
November 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Shani for some reason my grand kids call her Shani-Banni
Cant do much with Murphy except sometimes we just call him Murph.

Skryker
November 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM
So many! I rarely call (or have ever called) a pet by its name.

Collectively, the dogs are puppers, puppies, goobers, doggy-dogs, slobber-dogs, fiends, nutbars, goofs, etc depending on what they are doing at the time.

Fingal is Mr. Fing most often, or my puppy-boy, mamma's boy, mom's big boy :o , crazy boy, weirdo dog, destructo-dog...or if I use a Mom-voice and say "Fingal Padfoot Ourlastname! You get over here!" he knows he's in trouble! :p

Bronwyn is Bronny, Miss Bronny, Bronny-girl, little girl, kisser, whiner-girl, girlie-dog- Bronwyn Undertoe Ourlastname if she's in trouble.

Dancer gets Dancer-at, Dance, Dancer-Prancer, Prancer, Prance, kitty girl, Dancer-kitten...

They always look surprised when I call them by name. :D

erykah1310
November 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Nikita ... aka... Kangaroo Kita, Kita, Nikki ( my dad's name for her) , Gurlie, Wiggles

Meiko... aka... Sneaky Meikey, Little Buddy, Meik, Freaky Meikey, hey hey hey ~with a tone of urgence~ ( my dads name for him :D)

Puppy...aka... Puppers, Fat man ( he's cool with it), Big Guy, Grizzly,Big Bear, Mr.Demanding, Big ol Guy.

Im not gonna get into the cats for I could be here all nite on this thread alone.;)

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Since I have read the others, I have found myself saying "oh yeah, I say that too". I guess I have more nicknames for them than I thought:D

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Nikki -- trouble

Winnie -- Munchkin

Maya -- Baby

Sunny -- Bozo or Bozie

Frenchy
November 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Right now I'm only doing my best to call them by their own names (not always easy with 4) I call the girls Daisy sometimes.....:shrug: then I have to stop and think....oh yes,Molly ! Come here Molly !

heidiho
November 16th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Brat,Spaz,Foxy Roxy,Baby doll

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Joey mostly gets Joey Woey :D he also gets called Little Fella and Joey Toenail -cause there is a Joey Tomatoes near us and my kids started calling it Joey Toenails so that is why Joey gets called that too :D

hazelrunpack
November 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM
We don't have many nicknames...we have alter egos (yes, not just me--the dogs, too:crazy: )

Ember is the King; Cass is the Princess-Queen; Lil Belle is the Princess; Ms Macie is a princess, too, but her crown is too heavy when she's on patrol so she doesn't wear it...it would get dirty, too, because she is the Muddy Mossy Messy Macie (she's sometimes mucky, too); Cole is the Sheriff (though he does have a nickname: the melon-headed boy); and Ridge is the Lady (in Waiting).

We used to have a setter that was the worst little hellion imaginable when he was a puppy. He thought he was Russian because he heard "Evan Dammit Knockitoff" so often...he thought that was his name :p

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
We used to have a setter that was the worst little hellion imaginable when he was a puppy. He thought he was Russian because he heard "Evan Dammit Knockitoff" so often...he thought that was his name :p

LMAO that is really funny!!!:D

faith10
November 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM
My Chihuahua, Nikko will respond to:
"Nika-taro"
"Nikkars"
"Nikko Charles"
"Nikky Bear"
"Bunny"

My Husky X Chow, Keiko will respond to:
"K-Girl"
"Miss K"
"Kal-a-ee-key"
"Baby Cakes"

:thumbs up Faith

angeldogs
November 17th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Jag-jiggers,jigger jagger.mr.floppy ears.Ben-benalyn dm.He responds better to that then ben.

ByronsMum
November 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM
We searched high and low for about a week for the perfect name for Byron. His original name was Piper, but hubby and I thought that was more of a girl's name....so finally in an act of desperation, I was flipping through an old England calendar that we'd gotten for Xmas (it had pictures of different places in England, castles, etc etc)....and I came across a mini write up about Lord Byron...:D And the rest is history!

Paddy's name was the one he had at the animal shelter because he was picked up on St Paddy's Day. We liked it, so we kept it. Eoin (pronounced Owen) didn't have a name at the shelter because he was brought in with his bros and sisters as kittens...So in keeping with the Irish theme, we called him Eoin. Previous to him, we had Shamus (Irish name as well), who we had to put down because he was very very sick :sick: :sad: :rip: Shamus.

And no....we don't have any irish in either of us...oh wait...I do! Some far away ancestor of mine was an irish pirate!

meb999
November 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM
well, Buster has alot of nicknames....but the one I use all the time is Tootie i don't know why :shrug: it's just one of names that came up and never went away!

Esaunders
November 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Amos: Famous Amos, Sniffy McGee & Mr. Nose
Maddy: Mad Cat, Fuzzbutt & Little Miss Tailfeather
Klein: Sneaky, Mr. Peepers, Fat Cat & (formerly Fat Butt, retired due to my calling him Fat Butt as he jumped on the bed & my bf sleepily replying "But I LIKE your butt :eek: ... he meant well but it kinda went downhill from there :D )

Mocha's mum
November 20th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Mocha responds to: Mochie, Mokes, Mookie, Floofer, Flopper, Pooper, Hey You, No No, Baby, Poopy. Whatever. As long as I'm paying attention to him! :D

Dog Dancer
November 20th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Well Shadow is commonly called Shads or ShadowShadowDancer and one friends calls her A**hole which she responds to quite nicely if you say it with a friendly tone to it (they all think that's hilarious...) We don't call her that (well unless she's had a SA attack and destroyed the house again... but that's another issue entirely:rolleyes: )

Halo gets LoLo, Lolo girl, Lola Belle and stinker belle.

Both also respond to let's go girls.

TMac
November 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
So many! I rarely call (or have ever called) a pet by its name.

Collectively, the dogs are puppers, puppies, goobers, doggy-dogs, slobber-dogs, fiends, nutbars, goofs, etc depending on what they are doing at the time.

:D

I love those Skryker!!!

Oh boy...my husband and I actually counted all the nicknames once and there was well over 100 - I am serious. We need to get some hobbies :crazy:

Some of our favourites for Toby are:

Tobes (his fave vet called him that...she moved to the US..sigh)
Tobester
Tobo (my 3-year old niece likes to say "Hello Tobo" as in the Motorola commercials 'Hello Moto')
T-mac (hence my nickname on this board - its also the name of one of our fave singers, Toby Mac)
Toby Mac
Orange dog
Big Red
Fancy Face
Mr. Pants (he has a lot of fur on his backside!)
Billabobe
Big Dawg
Tobiah
Dingo (as in wild dog)

...okay this is getting embarassing so I'll stop now :o

TMac
November 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
:offtopic: but how did everyone come up with their names for their dogs? and how long did it take you?

Forgot to answer this part...

Toby was named that when we adopted him. We really didn't love the name but it seemed to suit him better than anything else we came up with. Besides which, we thought it was funny that his father was named Toby so he's a 'junior'. Oh yeah - add 'Junior' to his nickname list!

As for the nicknames, he is so goofy that they just came to us so easily...

Bushfire2000
November 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Lacey sometimes gets shortened to "Lace" - She was named Lacey because I like to name my dogs after people.

Buster also answers to "Lacey" because he thinks she's getting something good and he wants some too. He was named Buster because my grandfather always had a Buster on his farm. Either a horse or a dog and sometimes both at the same time.

Cocoa answered to "Lacey" as well, see above. Cocoa was named Cocoa when we got her and I convinced the kids that we should keep that name because they wanted to name her something awful.

Mavis started out as Stacey but I kept calling her Tracey and my husband suggested "Mavis" because it was so far from "Stacey" Mavis also answers to "Lacey"

Actually all of them will answer to each others names in fear that they will miss something good.

HunterXHunter
November 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
I call Hunter a "chunky monkey" sometimes :crazy: :D

Hunter's_owner
November 21st, 2006, 08:48 AM
Actually all of them will answer to each others names in fear that they will miss something good.

I know what this is like;)
Actually Cassie answers to us calling Hunter more than she does her own name, lol...stubborn beagles:rolleyes:
Hunter will only answer to Cassie if he thinks it is worth his while. He is pretty lazy and very perceptive of what is on the go:o He don't want to come if she is getting a nail trim for instance.

Some other names I realized I have been using are:
Hunter is "my boy"
Cassie is "girly", "princess", and "cookie" (only because she will always answer to this, lol)

ItsMurphy'sLaw
November 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Dallas gets nicknamed to Dali, Daliwag(funny she wags her tail superfast)
it all started as a puppy trick..easy for all dogs to do...Get them to wag their tail!... a trick that works every time., Dalidal, beauty, Dall
Murphy gets Murph, Murman, Murrrrs, Murmees, My man, Snugglybear
Charlie gets Charliebear, chars, charchar...
and like my children they get their FULL NAME if caught in the act..haha

I'm pretty sure within the next year, the list will go on for me :thumbs up

jawert1
November 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Peaches is Peachey, PeacherCreature, Peacheykeenjellybean and Peacherbutt

Simon is SimonFoo the Destroyer, FooFooPeeDoo, LilFoo, and Simonizzle

LynLyn
November 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Bowser mostly gets called by name, except when he's bad then I call him Booger. He also responds to "My Son" and boogaboo

we3beagles
November 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Callie - Princess, Sausage, Callie lou, Lou / had her 2 year and took us about 1 to come up with them
Bugsey - Bubba, Big Man / 3 years to come up with them because he got so big.
Soozie - Brat, Soozie Poo Poo Pants, Scoozie Principesa / Brat was instant, Poo Poo Pants came later when we realized she had a penchant for pooping in the dining room and when he sits on her haunches she looks like she is wearing pants.
Polly - Polly Pocket (just got her, more will follow i'm sure)

BusterBoo
November 22nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
I picked the name Harley because my tzu was a little guy with big attitude and it suited him! My hubby picked Buster's name and I agreed because hubby didn't really want another dog in the house.. :D so I figured if he named the little guy, he couldn't dislike him! :crazy:

Harley = The Dude, HarleyDude, Beau Dude, Duddie, Momma's BabyBoy
Buster = BusterBoo, Trouble, Beau Buster, Momma's BabyBoy. Buster also thinks this name is "leave it".