Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I put my cat down?

debmarglea
November 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
:sad: My cat needs pretty extensive treatment for liver disease (Feline Hepatic Lipidosis) and I just want to know if anybody has run into this condition with their cats and treated them with any success. I've heard conflicting stories about the practicality of putting my cat through this at her age (15) vs the amount of time and money it costs. At this point, she has completely lost her appetite, and barely moves. I cant afford to take time off work to care for her myself and I can't even imagine the vet bill to leave her there for 6-7 weeks. I think I know what I have to do but it's killing me. Does anyone have any words of wisdom-anything to help me justify the heart breaking decision im about to make.

~michelle~
November 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
alot of people here will say its all a matter of quality of life, would the surgery give her quality of life, or just a prolonged one? plus leaving her at the vet for 6-7 weeks would be very tramatic for her, you know whats best for your cat in you heart so listen to it. i wish you all the best and i am sorry for what has happened to your kitty. :candle: :pray:

debmarglea
November 16th, 2006, 02:57 PM
thanks michelle- this is awful. :sad: Its so hard when we have to do this.

Maya
November 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
If you feel like it is the kindest thing to do right now, you are probably right, you don't have to justify that. You won't regret letting her go if it was to set her free from her pain. I don't think that makes it any easier though.:sad: It was actually two years ago today that I had to make the same decision, and it's still very difficult. Take all the time you need to say good bye.

Rob n Cody
November 16th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Only you know what the right answer is for your baby, but know that we are all here to help you through it. Take your time to say goodbye if that is the decision you make, and you will know when the time has come. She looks to you for help, and to keep her happy and pain-free.
Be well, and go easy on yourself
R&C :candle:

debmarglea
November 17th, 2006, 07:44 AM
:cat:
thank you- it was the hardest thing I had to do but I know that I made the right decision for my Angelface.

Maya
November 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I'm so sorry.:sad: :candle: Angelface.

I was wondering how it went at the vet for you. I have to admit it was the hardest thing for me as well. There are not words to explain it.:sad: You did do the right thing, she is free now.

CyberKitten
November 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
It is expensive but imom.org has helped many ppl fund owners to treat kitties quite sucessfully with this disease. I would get as many opinions as you can before making such a critical decision. If the treatment will save her life so that she will have a good quality of life, it is worth every penny!

meb999
November 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
so sorry :candle:

Laurie1956
November 21st, 2006, 07:58 PM
Never question for a moment that she was in good hands with you and she is, yes, free of the pain now.:angel:

happycats
November 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
I am so sorry.
My cat was only 7 when she had this desease, and my vet is totally wonderful and honest. She told me Squeaky only had a 20% survival rate and if it were her cat she would have put her down, because the pain of the desease and treatment would have been horrible. So I had to make that awful decision, it was very difficult, but to this day I know the decision I made was the right one. (December 7, 2001 R.I.P)
Never question your decision, you did the right thing.

:rip: Angelface:candle: Squeaky will be there to greet you.

rainbow
November 22nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
So sorry for your loss. :grouphug: :candle: