Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat has liver disease (Feline Hepatic Lipidosis)

debmarglea
November 16th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Hi there my 15 year old female cat has developed Feline Hepatic Lipidosis. Im torn about putting her through the hell of treatment at her age and wondering as well how much this treatment might end up costing. I know she would have to be force fed three to four times a day for 6-7 weeks. Help. She hasnt moved, eaten or drank in a a few days now. She is also weak and a little jaundiced.
Deb

Maya
November 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM
You need a vet right now, she won't last much longer if she hasn't eaten, moved or drank in three days.:confused: Like i'd go right now.

debmarglea
November 16th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Hi Maya
Ive been already and am going again tonight I just cant decide what to do? I hate the thought of putting her through a stomach tube and force feeding her and I'm just wondering do you know if this is curable and do you have any idea how much all of the treament will cost:confused: :sad:

Maya
November 16th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry I don't know too much about it, I was just reading up a bit on it yesterday. Generally older cats do have trouble recovering from serious illness. Your vet should be honest and talk with you and discuss what the likely outcomes are in her situation before deciding treatment or not. I hope someone who's had first hand experience with this can offer better advice.:fingerscr :grouphug:

Hepatic lipidosis

This is a condition where fats infiltrate the liver, causing widespread damage and dysfunction. It occurs when, for some reason a cat stops eating. This results in a change in the cats metabolism and release of fats from stored fatty tissue into the bloodstream. Overweight cats are most at risk of developing this if they stop eating, and often there may be another ‘stress factor' that initiates the disease, for example a concurrent disease, or a change in the cats' environment.

The disease may be suspected if an overweight cat has stopped eating and then become ill. It can be confirmed on a fine needle aspirate (inserting a small needle into the liver and extracting just a few cells) of the liver which will show lots of fat cells within the liver. A larger biopsy of the liver will also be required to look for underlying liver disease, since fatty infiltration can also occur secondarily to other diseases within the liver.

Hepatic lipidosis is a very severe disease and many cats will die if treatment is not initiated promptly. The most important treatment for the disease is provision of adequate nutrition. This needs to be provided by a feeding tube. Most commonly a gastrotomy tube (a tube inserted through the body wall directly into the stomach) is used as these are well tolerated by cats, owners can use them at home, and they can be left in for a long period of time. This is important as, although many cats do recover with aggressive therapy, recovery usually takes months. A special diet will be recommended to feed down the tube, and often other nutritional supplements and vitamins are also recommended.

Feline Advisory Bureau

debmarglea
November 16th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Thanx Maya im just going crazy here I think I need someone to tell me Im doing the right thing. This is so hard. I pretty much know the answer --like I said I want someone else to tell me they would do the same thing. Its hard to get that feeling from your vet sometimes.

Maya
November 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
It's okay you're not going crazy. It's an overwhelmingly painful and difficult decision for some people.:grouphug:

Blathach
November 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Closed to avoid confusion:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32936