Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat problem

FIREBALL16
November 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hi, I have two cats, one we have just adopted, he lived mostly outside and is about a year - a year and a half. Recently our other cat has gone in to the vet for major surgery, he's been in and out a few days at a time. When he went in our cat Thomas was loving being the man of the house but when our other cat SInder came back he started peeing in corners of rooms etc.
He isn't fixed(the cat that is peeing but our other one is).

He has always gone in the litter box until now and he actually did number two right in front of the box the other night.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him and we haven't taken him to the vet, we just spent a fortune there on our other cat. Could this be a male cat making his spot because of the fact that he's not nutured?

Is there anything that I can do until we get him nutured to make him go in the box? Should I get a litter box for him and leave it in the area that he hangs out mostly, so it's not near our other cat. He's still with stitches and a cone so he sticks to our spare room mostly.

Can anyone help?

MyBirdIsEvil
November 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him and we haven't taken him to the vet, we just spent a fortune there on our other cat. Could this be a male cat making his spot because of the fact that he's not nutured?

Is there a reason he's not fixed?

Is he standing up and spraying the wall (this would look like he's backed against the wall with his tail up and his tail would twitch), or is he actually squatting and peeing in the corner?

If he's peeing in the corner he may have a urinary tract infection. You say there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him, but if he has a urinary tract infection there may be no signs other than the fact that he's peeing in inappropriate places.
There's also a chance that he's ill in another way and it's causing him to pee in the wrong place. There's no way to know either of these things unless you take him to the vet and get him checked out and treated.

If he's actually spraying and marking his territory he needs to be fixed. Getting him fixed will also prevent many health problems in the long run.
IMO there's absolutely no reason to leave him intact unless you're breeding quality show cats, and the fact that he's allowed outside would imply you're not.

You also mentioned that he pooped in front of the litter box the other day, that definately could indicate there's something wrong, especially since he wasn't having accidents previously.
He may also be irritated because the litter box isn't clean enough for him, or he doesn't like the litter, so you may want to make sure you keep the box very clean and maybe even add another box.

LM1313
November 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
FIREBALL, I highly recommend the book Kittens for Dummies, it has a whole chapter on solving peeing problems. :) (I imagine Cats for Dummies does too, but I haven't actually read that one so I couldn't say.)

I would say that putting a litterbox in the area he hangs out is a GREAT idea.

Other thoughts regarding your current litterbox set up:

Is it covered or uncovered?
What kind of litter are you using?
Is it perfumed/scented?
How often is it cleaned?
How many litterboxes do you have in all?

If the cat is of the opinion that one of these aspects is "off", he may well choose not to use the litterbox. Also, get him checked for a urinary tract infection and get him neutered (which it sounds like your planning on doing anyway. :) )

Cats can have all kinds of quirks. Some won't poop in the same box as they pee. Some want a litterbox all to themself. Some hate scented litter. Try different setups, one at a time, and see if that helps.

Also, clean up places where he pees/poops with a cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Do not use cleaners that are ammonia based, because ammonia is also in pee, so he'll still think it smells like pee, which will make him more likely to pee there again.

coper
November 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Every solution given will help, but I think your problem is a bit of jealousy or dissatisfaction with what is going on at home. Our cat behaves like this if we go away and leave him for a few days. For days after he will deliberately go outside the litterbox or where ever it strikes him to. After he feels secure again, he goes back to using the box. If this behavior only has occurred since the visit to the vet, I'd say that's your problem.