Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Necissary blood work?

ByronsDad
November 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I will be taking Byron in to the vets in a few weeks to have his boys snipped. There were a couple of the things that the vet had recommended, which I am unsure of. For starters, they recommended that we have his (I think just the rear) dew claws removed at the same time. They said that they can catch on things and tear later in life, and that it is best just to remove them now.

The other thing came in the mail yesterday. It was a recommendation by the vet to have blood work done, to make sure that all of Byronís organs are functioning properly, and that he is healthy enough to undergo the anesthesia for the surgery. Iím wondering how necessary it really is. He is about 5 months old, full of energy, and hasnít shown any signs of problems. I guess if we had lots of money, I wouldnít question it, but as it is, we canít really afford the neutering either (Iím putting off other bills to pay for it). The only reason we are doing the neutering is because of its great importance.

Any thoughts on these two issues? :confused:

Rottielover
November 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM
My vet does not give you an option about the blood test, it is included in the price of s/n.
They need to know your animal can handle the surgery. They do not want to play around with your pets life.
so if your vet is giving you an option, I say do it.

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM
With regard to the blood test, it wasn't an option when Hunter had his surgery, it was included. But if it was given as an option I would have chosen to have it done. It is a nice way to know if anything is going on that you should be aware of.

As for the dew claws, I don't know where I stand on it. Hunter doesn't have any rear dew claws:shrug: (he never did)

ByronsMum
November 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I seem to recall something about most puppies have their rear dew claws removed at birth?? So this would be something that should have been done when B was born and is only now being looked at??

(sorry to threadjack your thread, hunny! :o )

pitgrrl
November 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I chose to get bloodwork done before my two were neutered. I think it's really better to know if there's anything going on, before it causes complications in surgery.
As for the rear dewclaws, well I've known dogs who had them and never had any problems, aswell as dogs who have torn them, so I'd say it's really up to you. It seems like for an active dog who runs around in areas where they're likely to get caught on something, it would be a good precaution.

Lissa
November 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Dodger didn't get any bloodwork done before his neuter but he was taken to a spay/neuter clinic because of cost (and not wanting him to stay overnight).

With regards to dewclaws, a friend of mine is a breeder and used to remove dewclaws until by chance she realized that one of her dogs was actually using hers to pivot (they were pretty big!)...so she's refused to remove them since.
My friend had her pups dewclaws removed but her vet did an awful job - she couldn't walk without yelping for weeks and the scaring is awful.
I don't think I would remove dewclaws but A LOT depends on how you exercise your dog or where you walk them and if they are "accident prone":p.

technodoll
November 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM
i opted to have maika get the bloodwork before her spay to make sure there were no underlying problems and that anaesthesia would be OK, and also, we wanted confirmation that the raw diet was right on target and all her organ were functioning normally. :thumbs up also before dakotah's tooth surgery, we also did the bloodwork... i would never, ever forgive myself if something went wrong because we opted not to have the tests done, and it was our fault... you know? :o

Cathy1
November 16th, 2006, 12:10 PM
The vet wanted to do blood work before neutering also, so we said go ahead. Duke was about 2 yrs. old and she wanted to make sure he had no problems. It turned out that he had heartworm so we took care of that first. He had a heartworm test 2 months before that but it was negative. So I am very glad we had it done.

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I really don't think that Hunter ever did have rear dew claws. He has his front ones, but I am 99.9% sure that he was born without rear dew claws...Is this not normal?
I thought that this happened a lot...:confused:

Rob n Cody
November 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Cody had bloodwork done prior to her spaying, but again, it was included in the cost. I did have her rear dew claws removed, because i was told that if they get ripped off in an accident :eek: it can cause huge loss of blood. Guess someone scared me into it, but the procedure went fine, and have had no problems since.

jessi76
November 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I really don't think that Hunter ever did have rear dew claws. He has his front ones, but I am 99.9% sure that he was born without rear dew claws...Is this not normal?
I thought that this happened a lot...:confused:

my dog was born without rear dew claws also. I thought it was normal too. (in fact, I have yet to see a dog WITH rear dew claws, or maybe I've just never noticed) however, if he had rear dew's, I would opt to have them removed while he was already under for the neuter.

as other's mentioned, my dog's bloodwork was not optional, it was included in the cost of the neuter. had it been optional, and recommended, I wouldn't hesitate to have it done. IMO, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I was convinced to remove Boo's back dews at his neuter too.. I loved them. I had never had a dog with them before. But after the surgery, he ripped a stitch playing in the snow, and I can't help but wonder what would have happened if he had had a huge thumbie there instead... :eek:

Better safe than sorry and cheaper now than later.;)

And the pre-ops- I get them with a new dog, and then again as they get old. You just never know how Byron's doing on the inside.:shrug:

Waiiiit... Is this the same Byron we're used to? Do we have a Byron Couple now? :highfive:

Sariss
November 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Take a close look at his dewclaws, and make the decision based on how dangly they are.

As far as bloodwork, please get it done. No matter how healthy an animal may seem, they may have organ problems. Before we implemented mandatory bloodwork, we had a few animals die because they had compromised liver or kidney function.

ByronsMum
November 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Waiiiit... Is this the same Byron we're used to? Do we have a Byron Couple now? :highfive:

Yeeeeess..... (blush) it is hubby who started the thread...hence the name. :D

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 04:04 PM
tee hee hee... How romantic. We have two couples on here now...:cloud9:

chico2
November 16th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Here in Oakville at any of my vets,blood-work was never included in any surgery:sad:
I always had it done,but it adds quiet a chunk to a bill.
Still,better safe than sorry...
Byronsmom and Byronsdad,aww how sweet:love:

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
My vet does not include either but any time my dogs go under even for dental I have bloodwork done. It is not just to check organ health but also to check clotting times, when Sunny was adopted the agencies vet vet did the neuter and they did not do bloodwork, I picked him up the day after, he had severe bruising and his testicals were severely engorged with blood all because his clotting was very slow but does clot, I have read of other dogs who have had to get rushed to an evet because the testicles ruptured because of the bleeding and many females have died because it is harder to tell that they are not clotting since the blood pooling is internal, for dogs with blood clotting disorders they appear very normal, they can can often handle some bumps and scrapes that do not affect major veins, so most owners are not aware there is a problem, they can undergo surgeries but transfusions with healthy blood that has all the clotting factors are necessary, laser surgery can also be very helpful. With Maya I found out she had a clotting disorder when I had a heartworm test done, the vet took some blood and went went back a bit later to check one her and was shocked to see blood running down her legs and pooling on the floor, his comment to me was he was very glad not to be in the middle of a spay to find this out, but now that he knows a presurgery transfusion would be done on her

mummummum
November 17th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I'm feeling a little excessive now... I get a full blood panel/ chem screen for my gang done every year. I started when they were little because of the raw/ homecooked diet I wanted a baseline and continued because I wanted to make sure we were on target nutrition-wise. It wasn't an option with our spay-neuter (which is a good thing as I think too many people would do without and could face huge health and $$$$ issues down the way). Dew claws eh? I've never had a dog with rear dews. I would have likely have had this gang's removed since we tend to be "roaming across hill and dale" a lot.

ByronsMum
November 17th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks gang! needless to say, we will go ahead and approve the pre-op blood testing and all that stuff. Thanks for all your input.

21 days and counting till Byron loses his boys!!!! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM
so you'll have to post another thread in 19ish days to warn us and get some good luck and happy-neuter-vibes going.;)

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
:candle: for Byron!

As for the rear dew claws, I had my pups' removed when they were speutered due to the risks of tearing. I might not have if those rear thumbs hadn't been so floppy, but they were very loose and sticking out. Now I'm very glad I did because of the way they tear around and wrestle-I'd hate to think of what it would be like if the dew claws tore!:eek: When I had originally asked about the dew claws, the vet checked them out and showed me how little was actually connecting the dew-claws to the feet. Their front ones are much firmer and better attached.

ByronsMum
November 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM
so you'll have to post another thread in 19ish days to warn us and get some good luck and happy-neuter-vibes going.;)

LMAO!!! I had no idea that "happy-neuter-vibes" was an actual term, Prin. Good to know! LMAO!!!! I don't think it will be a "happy-neuter" day for the puppers though...Byron will probably be sore afterwards...And I know he'll give me that "what did I do to deserve this?" absolutely-100%-pathetic look....

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Byron will probably be sore afterwards...And I know he'll give me that "what did I do to deserve this?" absolutely-100%-pathetic look....lol hardly. Boy doggies have it easy. :rolleyes:

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM
You mean like this? :D

ByronsMum
November 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
(lip trembling)...oh no... I am done for...he is gonna be SOOOOOOOOOO spoiled during his recovery time!!! (not that he isn't already!!!)

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
This totally pathetic laying around lasted about 24 hours-then we had to try and stop them from wrestling with each other and running like there was nothing wrong with them :crazy: .

mafiaprincess
November 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Boy dogs totally have it easy. They manhandles Ciders insides enough she peed on the floor for a week after not able to make it into the litterbox before going :yuck:

They never asked us about pre op blood work till the day of as the ex roomie signed the papers.. they didn't talk about it make it seem important..

I'd like to see it included, least basic blood work, for more cost, but so it's there.

It was going to be an extra 100 for Cider's so it was declined..

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 08:50 PM
It wasn't even offered for my 2. I would have paid for it. :frustrated: Glad there wasn't a problem. Unless it was done as part of the procedure, and part of the cost.