Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Special needs kitten

Cory
November 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Hello to the cat and dog parents
We are the foster care givers for a special need kitten of 8 months. He has a disability called Hepatic Encephalopothy. His vet has recommended a low protein diet. While we know that this is the accepted treatment for an adult cat with liver problems, we are questioning if this will provide the proper nourishment for a growing kitten. The chances for Cory living a long life is slim. What we want to provide is the best care for him as long as he choses to remain with us. If anyone has a suggestion to help him remain as happy and healthy as he can be please contact us

Cory's Mom & Dad
Sandra & Ian

~michelle~
November 15th, 2006, 07:22 PM
it sounds like there is not too much of an alternative. since the liver is not able to detoxified the proteins. so they would do more damage than good. but thank you for fostering a special needs kitten the world needs more people like you

meb999
November 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hi and Welcome to the board! You may want to post your question on the 'pet health' forum....it'll get viewed more htere, and you may get more answers...I wish I had some helpfull info for you :shrug:

Maya
November 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi that's wonderful that you are giving him a home and a chance. I've seen a few sites that are specifically for disabled pets. Quite a few come up with a Google search. One thing that stood out when I was reading about special needs pets is that it can be very difficult to get the extra support you need from your vet. I know this is often the case with people as well but don't give up, sometimes there are little "miracles" with a lot of work.:) Also you may like to include contact info in your profile in case someone wants to pm you.:cat:

[edit] Did the vet say what the cause was? Spelling is hepatic encephalopathy I believe, makes it easier to find info.:P

White Wolf
November 15th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Moved to health forum.

Maya
November 17th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Any updates on your little one? I found some interesting information about shunts and liver disease.:shrug: