Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cut paw

pitgrrl
November 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Basil got this tiny cut on his foot, only about 3mm or so, but it's a bit deep and will not close up and heal.
I put a boot on it when we go for walks, so all the nasty street germs don't get in there, but it bleeds a bit every single time and it's been about 4 days since it happened.
Does anyone have any really great tricks that would help? Anything to encourage healing or keep the cut closed so it can do it's thing, but still lets me take them for walks so I don't have to live with a crazy beast just because of a tiny cut?

coper
November 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Try liquid bandaid that you would use on a human. Works great.

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 06:10 PM
The liquid bandage I have used on myself before and it stings pretty bad so I am not comfortable with putting on a dog for that reason plus it can seal in any dirt which could lead to infection.

Maya just recently had a similiar cut in her foot behind the toe pad but was fairly deep more of a punture which does not get air easily , first thing I do is add epsom salts to warm water and soak the foot which will help clean. Then make up yarrow tea and let cool and soak the foot in that for a few minute it will help to start drying the wound and help prevent infection, then apply bag balm and cover before head outside. I keep a close eye on the wound to ensure no infection hers scabbed up in about 4 days any signs of infection(pus, swelling warm) a vet visit asap is in order

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah liquid band aid is good and all, but for a cut such as this, I wouldn't advise using it, because as OntarioGreys stated, it will seal in any bacteria, etc and could likely lead to infection.

Because the cut is not healing that fast, you really do have to watch for signs of infection.