Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tucker has a yucky eye

doggy lover
November 15th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Tucker has yucky green stuff coming out of his eye:yuck: , it was a bit weepy yesterday so I used a little salt water on it but today its worse. He has a vet visit booked for tomorrow morning so we will see what is going on. He looks so sad, and it seems to bother him so hopefully with a little med he will be ok. I guess I get to try out his new insurance for the first time.;)

Hunter's_owner
November 15th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Oh, sorry to hear about Tucker:(

Hopefully tomorrow he will start to feel better. Good luck at the vet, and give him some extra cookies, they might make him feel a bit better;) lol

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Salt water in his eye? :eek: Homemade or from the store? I mean tears or saline, ok, but homemade would be a bit stingy...:o

Jemma had green goobs once and was given "BNPH" ointment from the vet. We had to put it on her eye for a week and head back after for a recheck. Never really knew what it was, whether it was a scratch in her eye, or cigarette smoke from going to a friend's house with the man... :shrug:

Good luck! :)

doggy lover
November 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I've been using a cup of boiled water to a few grains of salt, not strong. It doesn't seem to bother him when I do it he just sits there, its mostly to get the crusties out of his eye corner. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong, or hurting him.

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I just wouldn't put anything not sterile directly in his eye... You can buy sterile saline solution to flush his eye. Even if you boil the water, it won't get rid of the particles and things...:shrug:

doggy lover
November 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks Prin I'll pick up some at the drug store after the vet visit. Do you think it would be ok to just clean the corner of his eye with boiled water and a cotton ball until then? I don't want the crusties to dry and build up.

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, sure.. Not too hot of course.:)

doggy lover
November 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Oh no always just luke warm.

doggy lover
November 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Well Tucker has Conjunctivitis, yep I got the vet to check for scratchs on his eye as my daughter had him in the woods for 4 hours the other day. But his eyes are just fine so some cream and they should be better in a week. Prin I picked up some saline solution that is sterile when I was at the drug store, so I will use that instead of the boiled water, thanks for the idea.

jessi76
November 16th, 2006, 12:18 PM
my Tucker had that too when he was younger. I used a vet-prescribed opthalmic ointment (which I had on hand from when my cat had a mysterious eye issue). my vet said it was the same stuff for cats/dogs, and to keep using it for about 10 days. the conjunctivitis cleared up quickly in less than a week using the ointment.

I hope your Tucker is feeling better soon!

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I'm glad he's going to be ok. I don't know if you're supposed to flush it once you start with the ointment, but the saline will be handy for other things too (you can also use it to wash wounds and stuff too...).:shrug:

doggy lover
November 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I haven't been flushing it today just using it on the cotton ball to wipe the yucky stuff away. He was such a good boy for the vet just stood on the table and let him look into his eye and put the ointment in, I just hope he is that good for me when I have to do it soon.:D

gomez
November 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Gomez is having that now also, apparently it's environmental - he got cortisone drops 1 in each eye, 3x per day - it's not really bothering hime, just the gunky stuff in the eyes...

doggy lover
November 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Tucker has Tobrex medication. His eye bothers him as he squints and will rub at his eye. Well I got the ointment in with no problems. :thumbs up