Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am at my wits end!

friskymonster
November 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I have two cats, both females...both were gotten as kittens within 6 months of each other and both were fixed before they reached sexual maturity...they are now both approximately 3 years old. Up until 6 months ago they got along famously. Now they are constantly fighting. One cat does all of the hissing and sprays the floor with urine, but the other cat never hisses and seems to be the one doing all of the chasing around. Now one of the cats (I can't say which one because it is always done under the cover of darkness) has started to use my bathroom floor as her personal litter box. I'd like to add that both cats have their own litter boxes. Its gotten to the point that I don't want to go home after work. Other than separating them for the rest of their lives (I live alone in a huge home, so separating them forever is possible.) what else can I do?

chico2
November 15th, 2006, 04:48 PM
The first thing,would be to take the spraying cat to the vet,she could very well have UTI(urinary tract infection),is not feeling great and the other cat senses that and they'll fight.
Going potty out of the litter-box is often an indication something is wrong.
If she has UTI it needs to be taken care of right away,while it can still be cured with meds.Good Luck!

silly kitty
November 16th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hey there Frisky:)

I have been having somewhat the same problem with 2 of my three cats so I can understand the frustration you're going thru.

As with Chico2, definitely take the cat who sprays to the vet. I did that we our cat Lucy to rule out the UTI. It will relieve some of the stress you might be feeling and will put your mind at ease (partially).

With our cat Lucy, we have provided her with a "safe place" where she can go to get away from Buddy (our male aggressor). In this safe place she has her bed, some toys - scratch pad, food/water and her own litter box. Plus lots of places where she can hide when she's feeling extra stressed. Both my husband and I have found that spending extra "alone time" with Lucy is slowly easing some of her fears - for lack of a better word. We spend extra time talking to her, petting her and brushing her. You may want to try some of these to see if it'll work for you. But don't be fooled, it will take time and you may have to come to the realization that they may never be "friends" again.

Hope some of this will help you.:fingerscr