Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potential causual agent for Hyperthyroidism?

GUARDIAN3D
November 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Hello All!, My name is Woody, I am new here! Thanks to all who have created this awesome resource!

My cat "PATCH" has just been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. He is olny 5 years old so I am told this is unusual (he has a noticibly enlarged thyroid gland) The tests confirmed and I have started him on Tapazole 5mg/day. My Question is: Since this is an unusually early presentation of H.T. (hyperthyroidism) I believe there was a causual agent in his diet. BECAUSE

1) There is a well known connection between H.T. and iodine (in fact it's called: "Iodine Induced Hyperthyroidism")

2) The biggest source of IODINE in anyones diet would likely be from FISH.

3) My cat only eats fish! (not anymore! I will get him on chicken and turkey immediately)

4) In addition I have (had...) been buying him dental treats from C.E.T. called oral chews (they are tubes of Freeze Dried Fish. They used to be light in color but they have been getting progressively darker every batch. I BELIEVE These 'Treats' have a massive amount of Iodine. I believe these (and his all fish diet) caused his problem! Does this sound at all reasonable?

I have half a bag left, Does aybody know where I could get them tested for IODINE content (without spending a fortune?)

I would like to find a way to get this crappy compan6y from Texas to be more responsible. They do not even put an expiration date on their products, even freeze dried food expires (especially FISH!!) I believe they require a kick in their complacency.

THANK YOU!!

Woody.

Mahealani770
November 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Hopefully Prin will come along and see this. She knows a lot about the quality of pet food. Good luck!

doggy lover
November 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
My Mums cat has H.T., she has 4 cats all on the same diet. Only one has HT, another has turned diabetic, but their vet said it has nothing to do with their diet. I'm not sure if their diets have been changed since the change in their health, but both cats are on meds and the one with HT is doing just fine.

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM
There are many different reasons for hyperthyroidism, and blaming iodine might not be the best solution.

Honestly, I know more about it in humans than in pets, but the ideas should be the same. ;) In humans, they test for antibodies as well as TSH and the thyroid hormones (T3 and T4). Depending on which levels are high, and which are not, you can better predict the source of the hyperthyroidism (i.e. if it's related to high iodine, overproduction of TSH or an autoimmune disorder).

That to me is where to start before attacking food companies.:shrug:

GUARDIAN3D
November 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I do plan (I just purchased Iodine and Iodide testing kits) to test relative amounts of iodine (in parts per million) based upon 1 gram of test material put into a liter of pure distilled water.

Then I will test the relative amounts of iodine and iodide in:

1 gram plain tap water

1 gram of IODIZED Salt

1 gram of Non-Iodized Salt

1 Gram of Feline Prescription C/D - Fish Flavor

1 gram of Science Diet - Fish Flavor

1 gram of Fancy Feast Ocean Whitefish (or the 'Cod, Sole & Shrimp flavor'...)

and finally 1 gram of C.E.T. Feline Dental treats of (steadily darkening batch by batch) freeze dried fish.

Scientists do not attack they simply uncover truth. For all time. I will post my exact results and procedures here you can be sure:)

Maya
November 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Yay for science.:thumbs up Fancy Feast isn't so good, i've heard the tuna one is also very high in murcury.:sad:

GUARDIAN3D
November 15th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Maya! Thanks, yeah, not so good Ash and Magnesium profiles either, I only give him a couple spoonfuls (to get him to take his Tapazole otherwise it is Science Diet (now that they have improved the formula and it is no longer a gray tasteless paste! ;) I will be buying the chicken / beef / turkey (if there is one) flavors from now on though. No more fish for my little guys except to take medicine (that greatly decreased amount should I hope eliminate a lot of the Iodine if that is indeed the problem) I like to run with logic though and this all seems to be fitting together like puzzle pieces, whenever that happens in my Science or my Art I Know I am on a good bent. I want to eliminate the sources now even if it isnt the problem I would kick my self if I hadn't acted preemtively and I found out say the Dental Treats were indeed HIGH in Iodine (as i suspect)

Thanks again!

GUARDIAN3D
November 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM
My Mums cat has H.T., she has 4 cats all on the same diet. Only one has HT, another has turned diabetic, but their vet said it has nothing to do with their diet. I'm not sure if their diets have been changed since the change in their health, but both cats are on meds and the one with HT is doing just fine.

Hello, sorry I did not mean to ignore your post, Thanks for the info, it's heartening to know that another kitty was able to fight this off and continue it's life unabated, I hope mine will follow suit:)
While you raise a valid point about the four cats on the same diet, I would bet they are all older than 4-5yrs like mine. Patch has very early onset of a severe and sudden case. That says to me 'causual agent forcing the issue early, whether he has an existing propensity for the disease or not'. The only agent WOULD be his diet. I believe the Vet said diet was not the issue because Your Mom's cat was both Older (no early onset) and didn't have an unusually severe case. That is pretty common in cats I hear. There are a LOT of diseases in Humans too. BUT an awfully large number of them can be mitigated or even circumvented Entirely by changes in Diet. Why would it be so different for Animals? Vets can SAY anything. We have to Filter those words with our own Logic to defend our little friends (as I'm sure you always intend to do as well:)

Woody

Maya
November 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I like to run with logic though and this all seems to be fitting together like puzzle pieces, whenever that happens in my Science or my Art I Know I am on a good bent
:highfive: Art&Science :)

Dr's/vets tend to push drugs before diet, it's more profitable. Not that drugs aren't also very helpful sometimes. I think you're on the right track to be investigating.

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I only give him a couple spoonfuls (to get him to take his Tapazole otherwise it is Science Diet (now that they have improved the formula and it is no longer a gray tasteless paste! ;) I will be buying the chicken / beef / turkey (if there is one) flavors from now on though.Umm... why "otherwise Science diet"? There are WAYYY better foods out there on the market.

Maya
November 16th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I agree. I'd also try to avoid the Fancy Feast completely if you can.

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Results should be interesting, should also check any new foods ingredient list even chicken and turkey formulas, some pet food companies do add extra salt for flavour enhancing. Thyroid disease is also known to be genetically based.

GUARDIAN3D
November 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Umm... why "otherwise Science diet"? There are WAYYY better foods out there on the market.

THANKS!
IF YOU WOULD IMPART THE NAMES OF A FEW IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I DO KNOW I HAVE TO TRY TO AVOID ASH AND MAGNESIUM BECAUSE HE TENDS TO GET UTI'S AND CRYSTALS (STRUVITE I AM PRETTY SURE) ANY FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE FOR THAT WOULD BE GREAT. I ONLY WENT TO SCIENCE DIET BECAUSE MY OLD VET SAID THAT WHEN I WANT TO TRANSITION OFF THE 'PRESCRIPTION C/D', I SHOULD BUY HILL'S BRAND (SHE WAS PROBABLY GETTING A KICKBACK FROM HILL'S NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT WHILST NOT IN EMOTIONAL TURMOIL BECAUSE MY CAT'S SICK...)

I GOT A QUOTE FROM THIS CRAPPY VET TODAY FOR A TEETH CLEANING (NO EXTRACTIONS, JUST CLEANING) THEY SAID BETWEEN $438 AND $789 HAHAH JERKS. tHE OTHER PLACE i CALLED SAID $140. NO "ESTIMATE". THIS VET I WAS DEALING WITH IS ABOUT TO LOSE A CLIENT.

THANK YOU ALL FOR SO MUCH HELP!! THIS IS AN AWESOME PLACE I NEVER DID 'FORUMS' BEFORE!

Woody.

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM
What's the ash % and Mg% in the food you're feeding now?

GUARDIAN3D
November 16th, 2006, 10:11 PM
What's the ash % and Mg% in the food you're feeding now?

the C/D prescription is: ASH= 2.0% and Magnesium= 0.02%

the Science Diet is: ASH= 2.0% and Magnesium= 0.023%

and the fancy feast (of which he has now had his last can ever!;) lists ASH at 3.5% and no listing of magnesium on the can!!

I hope I can figure this out, Patch and Stile (not 'fashion' its a british term for an interconnecting bridge between pastures) love their food and since I have to keep Patch indoors most of the day I feel guilty not giving him everything he wants and more... I want it to be the best available though I have been listening to the wrong people, the people SELLING Stuff LOLOLOL

^THANKS!!!!!

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 10:16 PM
It's all wet food you're looking at, right?

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Here are some comparable in ash and Mg, but way better in quality (check out the ingredients):

Merrick Ocean Breeze (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=52&s=20240)
Merrick California Roll (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=52&s=20249)
Merrick Cowboy Cookout (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=52&s=20246)
Merrick Granny's Pot Pie (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=52&s=20247)
uhh, they're pretty well all the same as far as Mg and ash, so just surf around here:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_cat_food.php
;)

Innova Cat (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%2734%27%5D) also has 1.9% ash and 0.025% Mg...

The DVP ones don't have the ash content but the Mg is at 0.025%
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/NB_CatCanned.html#Guaranteed

Just a few examples...;)