Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We have a Girl!!!!

heidiho
November 15th, 2006, 02:01 PM
:usa: :usa: He just called,its a girl,so her name is gonna be Roxy,got her first set of shots,she is between 5 to 6 weeks old,a few fleas,which can someone tell me what to do in our house because she has been everywhere,looks like she eats well they said,poop was tested no worms.All around healthy i am so happy,the only thing i dont get is she said we ahve to wait til she is 6 months old to spay,is it really that long you have to wait??I thought it was younger.And will she start bleeding before then??I cant contain my happiness:cat: :cat: :cat:

H.P.
November 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Congrats on your new baby girl! :thumbs up Most vets around here suggest spaying around 6 months of age, though some will do it younger. I am not sure, but I think that they are usually about 1 year before they go into heat the first time.

heidiho
November 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Thank you,i thought waiting til 6 months sounded long,but i guess it is correct..Just didnt know if she would go into heat(bleed) before then and that would suck..

chico2
November 15th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Congrats on the baby-girl:thumbs up
My vet neutered all my male cats at 6 months,but I believe nowadays it can be done much earlier.
I could be wrong,but I believe she could get pregnant way before 1yr old:sad: and a female cat in heat,is definetly no fun.

heidiho
November 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
There is only one vet on our side of the islland,so i guess i will have to wait til she is 6 months would of liked to do it sooner but what r u gonna do.She will NEVER be going outside....I swore it was a buy with the fiesty personality but i was wrong...She is a handful when she is in her playful mood wow nothing stops her,and the issue with her attacking our feet and hands i try and tell her no loudly then i move her away she jsut comes right back and thinks i am playing...But god i love her,she is so much fun.......:cat:

heidiho
November 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Oh yeah he also told me she was so good at the vet didnt make a sound,she was the same in the car this morning not a peep,also showed him how to clip her nails..God i feel like i just had a baby....

Frenchy
November 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM
A girl ! wooohooo ! We will be expecting pics to see her grow up to become a lady...ahem,I mean a nice kitty ! :cat:

heidiho
November 15th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Oh you know there will be lots of pics as she grows,i have been here about 2years and only 6 months of those did i have a pet,so now i finally have a pet again..So i am sure iwill be posting lots

dogmelissa
November 15th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Congrats on your new arrival!!!

Talk to your vet, because kitties can be spayed as soon as they weigh 800g (not sure what that is in ounces). If your vet wants to wait until she's 6 months old, then I guess you have no choice, though.

One thing about kitties, though, they don't bleed like dogs. They do have quite amazing heat cycles which usually result in them being as completely un-lady-like as possible, making all sorts of horrible sounds (like they're dying!), rub up against things, wiggle their bums, and generally give you a hard time. If at all possible, try to fib to your vet and take her in when she's no more than 4 months old; you'll probably avoid the first heat cycle, avoid the risk of her accidentally getting out and getting pregnant (you can't always stop a cat in heat from getting out!), and will give you less time to wait.

Hope that helps. I wish I could have found a video or recording for you, but I wasn't able to.

Melissa

H.P.
November 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry, I did not pay attention to the little kitties, and was thinking of puppies. The vets here will spay the kitties if they are over 8 weeks old and atleast 2 lbs.

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Congratulations on your sweet little girl, heidiho! She really is a doll! when are you going to post more pics? ;)

joeysmama
November 15th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Oh YAY YOU !!! You really DO sound like a proud parent. How cute are you ?? I love that you're this happy about your new baby.

Roxy sounds like the perfect name for her.

Now you'r ejust going to have to prove how cute she is with pics, pics and more pics !!!;)

MyBirdIsEvil
November 16th, 2006, 11:52 AM
All around healthy i am so happy,the only thing i dont get is she said we ahve to wait til she is 6 months old to spay

Cats CAN be spayed much younger than that but it's harder because they're so much smaller.
My vet will spay and neuter as young as 4 months old, but with a female cat I would wait until 6 months because unlike with a neuter on a male cat, a spay requires internal surgery which is more risky.
Also, the smaller the cat is physically and the younger they are the worse the anesthesia will effect them.

Cats can go into heat at 4 months old. IF your cat goes into heat this young you may want to get her spayed as soon as her heat cycle is complete depending on how difficult she is. Some cats will do ANYTHING to get outside when they're in heat and sometimes they'll find a way out that you never would have even thought of. They can also be VERY loud, and the meowing often will go on all day and all night until the heat cycle is over.

Depending on how much you want to spend, laser surgery is the best option as it causes less bleeding. I've had it done on all my animals and it definately speeds up the recovery time IMO. I'm pretty sure it also makes it less likely for the wound to reopen, but I can't remember.

heidiho
November 16th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Thank you,i will see if our vet does that and how much it would be...You always have great advice.Any advice on the flea thing,vet found a few on her and told us we could give a warm bath which we did and believe it or not she loves it,but we didnt find anymore,gave us Revolution for her but said to wait a few days before we start it,cleaned carpet sheets everything hope there are no eggs...Kind of confused i think she said she is a little young to start the flea stuff but what else are u suppoesd to do if you have a kitten that is indoors and has fleas let them lay eggs in your house,no///

MyBirdIsEvil
November 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM
We use Frontline plus, and I'm pretty sure you can use it on 8 weeks or above.
The websites I looked at say Revolution shouldn't be used on cats under 8 weeks of age. Until then there's not much you can do as far as medication, but you can pick any fleas you see off, and maybe get a flea comb to brush some of the fleas and eggs out. Any of the fleas you pick out should be put into water with some kind of detergent soap so they're not just hopping around your house.

This site has a lot of good info:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1333&articleid=590

heidiho
November 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM
We are gonna get flea comb,that kind of sucks she is only 6 weeks.But i really dont think there are to many left on her..Which i guess even one is not good..

MyBirdIsEvil
November 16th, 2006, 04:56 PM
We are gonna get flea comb,that kind of sucks she is only 6 weeks.But i really dont think there are to many left on her..Which i guess even one is not good..

She'll be ok for a couple more weeks as long as you comb her and stuff.

As far as your house, I've only had a flea infestation in my house one time, and they died off pretty quick because they need a host and my cats were being treated with frontline.
Just vaccuum a lot, it's unlikely you have many fleas or eggs in your rugs from the few fleas on the kitten, and that will get rid of most if not all of them.
I wouldn't use any cleaners or sprays unless you start getting flea bites and know for sure you have them in your rugs and upholstery. Until that point you may be using them for nothing, and those chemicals tend to be harmful to kittens.

heidiho
November 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
tHE ONE GOOD THING IS THE WHOLE PLACE IS TILE,WE HAVE A RUG IN THE LIVING ROOM AND BEDROOM,WE DID VACCUUM COUCH,RUGS,I WASHED THE BLANKETS SHE LAYS ON AND WASHED BATHROOM RUGS TO.I dont think she really has any more but who knows,And i did get pics when we washed her yesterday will post next week....She is the coolest pet ever.

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 02:41 PM
OK We got the flea comb and found 3 on her,this morning we combed her again and found none,what do i do wbout the house now???I dont want to wash everything again if we cant put the flea stuff on her .

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Ok i just called vet and she said we could put the revolution on her tihs weekend,she said it was because of her getttinf vaccinations that we had to wait a few days...

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM
This is a little late to help, but as strange as it sounds, lemon juice will repel fleas. We used to rub it into our indoor cats' fur before taking them outside and they never got any fleas or ticks. :shrug: The cats don't particularly like the process but they don't lick it off either.

Might be an idea until you can put the revolution on her. And hooray for Roxy getting her name! :cat:

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:17 PM
SO for the ones that could be on her,lemon juice wont help??But it will keep others off her???I am kind of lost of what to do..Like how to get rid og them if they are in our house,which i am sure they are at this point..The vet lady said it is ok to put the rev on her ,then i see she is to young,i dont want to wash everything again,if there are still more,and how do i clean floors,if you seen pics of our place our floor is like mexican tile.And to get in the crevices everywhere will be a project,,ahhh this stinksssssss

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM
The lemon juice should repel the ones that are already on her, too. Make 'em jump off.

There are sprays for fleas, but you'd have to keep Roxy out of the room for a few hours. I took in a foster-kitten once that had fleas galore. I used the spray on the carpets and couch and the kitten was treated and I never saw another flea on the kitten, our cat or the furniture. I think it was Hartz brand spray.

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I do have some hartz spray i bought for our stray cats outside,so i can spray that on our carpet and stuff ??That would be great,i will also get some lemon juice today,Is it that lemon juice you can buy in teh produce area that comes in a thing that looks like a lemo??ANd just put some on a rag and wipe her down?? Damp rag or dry

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The Hartz spray I'm thinking of is specifically for the furniture and carpets but it should be right next to the other stuff at the store.

Yep, fake squeezy lemon works fine! I'd dilute it a little for the kitten, so a damp rag and just rub it into her fur. It makes her fur nice and shiny, too.

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Thank you got it,on a brighter note she is now starting the getting into everything phase and learning now she can jump on dining room chair which leads her to the dining room table,which leads to the kitchen counter,found her in the trash can in the bathroom closet this morning.She is just so much fun fleas and all,//

Skryker
November 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Aw, I know! Kittens are wonderful. I got my tabby cat at around 8 months old or so, so I never got to see her kitten-phase. Enjoy Roxy!

heidiho
November 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM
God i am , i get up an hour and a half earlier just so we can hang out before work.She comes into the shower when i walk out,she loves water,i just cant say enough about her,i am sad she is away from her mom so young ,but i wouldnt change a thing ,the bonding is awesome...I have to catch her in her calm moments though so i can love on her,cause when she is ready to play no one is safe(ha ha) meaning feet,hands etc

dogmelissa
November 20th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Yes, kittens are fun.... as long as they stay small enough that you dont mind being chewed on. My little rascal (Taz) came to me when he was about 4 weeks old. No choice, as he was found all alone under a shop saw at work--no momma cat around and too dangerous to leave him to try to be found by her. So he came home with me, so young that he hadn't yet mastered walking. Thankfully, he never did learn to jump up on the kitchen counters (perhaps it was my house set up), but he used to sleep in the bathroom sink--when he could fit!

Now my little monkey is 3.5 yrs old, and weighs 21 lbs. He's 3" taller at the shoulders than my 9 yr old girls, and I can't believe he grew all of that out of a kitten who could fit (and loved to!) his whole body in one of my hands. At least he's 99% a giant suck and would rather be petted and cuddle than just about anything else. But he sure is mean when he's not fed on time!!!!

Pics yet? Kitten pics are so cute.

Melissa

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM
OH yeah when she wants to play you better watch yor hands feet legs.any body part,bit she is a sweetheart,ok i got more pics give me a minute to get them up..These are great

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Melissa,I like to see that 21lb cat,I thought mine were big at 16-17lbs:D

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM
here are 2 of like 15

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 04:56 PM
there is no other cuter kitten

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Awwwwww,I am getting kitten-sick:love:
Please don't give her many baths,cats don't need it.:sad:
I've never bathed any of my cats,except little white Vinnie who was very dirty when he was found:cat:

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
For some reason she was licking the condo..

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Awwww,again,she is just too cute:cat:

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM
We had to i called Humane society and they said a warm bath with a mild detergent is what i needed to do for the fleas,believe me she was wrapped in a towel fresh from teh dryed til she was completley dry,and loved the water.We have founf a few fleas it had to be done.Toyoung for the Revolution.

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Just a few more

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM
awww just love her ok only one more

chico2
November 20th, 2006, 05:26 PM
That makes sense Heidi,forgot you suspected fleas:cat:

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM
ok thats all ,well i do have more but it could go on forever

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM
We found 3 on her and the vet found 2,i think we got all of them

dogmelissa
November 20th, 2006, 08:17 PM
You can bathe your kitty, there's nothing that's going to harm the kitty unless you don't rinse all the shampoo off or do it so often that it dries out the skin. In fact, a doctor-supervised study found that allergens on cats are decreased by up to 80% when they are bathed every week for 4 weeks and then once every 4 weeks after that (they were studying whether or not cats cause worse asthma in kids and found this out as a byproduct of bathing the cats).

I'll find some pictures of Taz--when I got him I didn't have a digital camera, so I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I have a few. I'll see if I can get one of him standing next to one of the girls (or next to my dog).

Funniest thing ever was to see my 21 lb cat running away from my (then) 6 lb dog. Like, dude, you outweigh him 4 to 1, you *really* don't need to worry about it! The dog now weighs 9 lbs so has a bit more fight in him, but still the cats all run from him. Funny!

Roxy is cute, but I know you're biased... everyone thinks their kitten is the cutest. :P I wish I would have had Rusty when she was a kitten, she would have been *adorable* with her giant polydactyl feet!

Melissa

heidiho
November 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I would love to see pics..I am a picture junkie..She is so fun rihgt now,does not listen for nothing,but damn she is just so cute i can live with it.....

MyBirdIsEvil
November 20th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Awww, SO cute!!:D

The second before last picture is THE classic kitten pose, I always think it's so funny the way they get their back and fur up like that, looking all wigged out then run away really fast. Of course they come right back to attack you. :)

It's torture for me to look at kitten pictures since I've raised so many, and they all have different personalities that you see come out as they grow up.

:frustrated: My b/f isn't helping, he loves kittens too and he keeps suggesting we adopt one. I have to say no though, or else I'd end up one of those cat ladies with like 50 cats (all well taken care of though of course!)

heidiho
November 21st, 2006, 01:45 PM
MyBIRDISEVIL THAT IS SO TRUE,AND I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT ME,BUT I AM THE ONE WHO IS ALWAYS GETTING ATTACKED,I GET UP AT 6:00 SO I CAN PLAY WITH HER FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE I AHVE TO GET READY,AND WHEN I AM IN THE BATHROOM GETTING READY IT IS A CONSTANT BATTLE TO KEEP HER FROM DOING THAT POSITION THEN ATTACKING MY LEG,I GET HER OFF SHE JUMPS RIGHT BACK ON,THEN MY BOYFRIEND FIANLLY GETS UP AND WHEN HE IS GETTING READY DO YOU THINK SHE WOULD GO IN TEH BATHROOM AND JUMP ALL OVER HIM.NOPE,SHE TERROIZES ME,I WAS DITTING ON THE COUCH WHILE HE WAS GETTING READY,AND SHE KEPT JUMPING ON MY LEG AND TAKING BITES,I MEAN SHE WOULD NOT STOP,SO I PUT HER IN TEH BATHROOM WITH HIM AND SHE DOESNT DO ANYTHING TO HIM,I DONT GET IT....BUT GOD LOVE HER SHE IS SO CUTE...EVEN WITH MY FRIENDS THAT HAD DOGS WHEN I CAME AROUND THEY WOULD ALWAYS TRY AND KNAW ON MY ARM LIKE IT WAS A BONE BUT NEVER DID IT TO THEM..

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
Awww, Roxy is just soooo adorable. :cloud9: And, I love her little kitty condo. :thumbs up

heidiho
November 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Thank you,we think so to,she now sleeps in between us by our heads ,i just love it..But man when she gets going she can be a terror...........Condo was on sale 50.00 at petco.com

dogmelissa
November 23rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Ok.... I have some pictures of Taz as a kitten, but it's been difficult to get him to sit still near one of the girls so that I can take a picture of him now. I have other pictures of him now, but none that really show how big he is.

I'm working on it.... don't worry!

(sorry, all baby pictures of him are on another computer, will put the whole set up when it's available)

Melissa