Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat behavior problems

britp
November 15th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hello Everyone,
I found this site looking for other people that may have some issues with their kitty's. I am hoping someone has some answers or ideas for me.
We have a problem with some of our kitty's spraying and peeing in our home. It varies as to where they go. We are considering moving them into a cat house outside. I would appreciate any input that will help us.
Thank you.
Brit

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 01:34 PM
How many cats do you have?
How many males?
Are they neutered?
What is the cat to litter box ratio?

Some very important questions that popped in my head instantly.

Also, I dont really like the idea of an outdoor cathouse. They are social animals and need human companionship. I think it would be best to fix the problem instead of moving the cats.

With a bit more insight many of the members here will be able to offer up some wonderful suggestions.

Please try to figure this out first.
We're here to help you if you want us to and are willing to try some of the suggestions we offer!

:grouphug:

SARAH
November 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I agree with those immediate questions, they popped into my mind too. I don't have cats at the moment, but have grown up with them and always had at least one in the house at all times.

Cats are great animals. People call them independent, and to a certain extent they are, but at the same time they are so dependent on company and on having and knowing their place in their own group, that I have a hard time realy considering them independent to be honest with you.

The myth that a cat can't be taught anything is just that, a myth. I have known cats who could sit on command, hold out their paw like any dog would, give you a kiss if asked, come (and my cats always came quicker than my dogs, lol), etc.

Why are your cats spraying the house? I think, without knowing the number of cats you have, it's a question of authority and territory. Whether they are fixed or not isn't that important. I once had a fixed cat and rescued a non-fixed one; the fixed was the one who sprayed the house, not the new cat. Topaze felt his house was being invaded by this new Spoutnik and made sure his scent was all over the place so the newbie would learn his place at once!

You have two options to try right off, the first is to ignore the problem and put up with the smell until the cats have settled their rank-situation between them (:yuck: ).
The other is to wash the sprayed areas at once after scolding the cat (no physical violence, just a stern and displeased voice) IF YOU CATCH HIM IN THE ACT. Oh, and do not use bleach! I know, it disinfects very well, but it is also a scent cats love and will attract them right back to that area :o Amonia is ok though, if you can stand the smell yourself, lol.

There are also products you can buy, cat-repeller smells, that you could try spraying on the area after cleaning it.

I would think your cats are just trying to find their place in the group. This could therefore pass quickly if one cat is decidedly more dominant than the other(s) or drag on if they are of the same authority (two Alpha-cadidates).

Good luck, and let us know how you and the cats handle this passage.

:cat: :pawprint: :dog: :love:

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Although I do not have any cats now either, I have to agree with Bella. It could be a territorial thing. They are all good questions that were asked also. I once had 3 cats which one of them would not go in the litter box until I bought a separate litter box for him. I also had a cat that would spray all over the house until i got him neutered. The smell is absolutely horrible..:yuck: ....and I found it took some time to get rid of it (the smell, that is). I even tried those cat-repell things but he would just spray somewhere else. Funny thing was, I think he sensed there was going to be a new addition to the family. At the time, my youngest son was 4 years old and I was pregnant with my 2nd son. I came home one day to find he had sprayed right in the seat of the baby carriage my SIL had given me. I had to throw the thing out because I couldn't get the smell out of the board they used to make the seat.

Good luck and I hope you find what's causing this.

Patty