- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Moving a 10 yr old cat from Montreal/Canada to Cologne/Germany

November 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
We are moving sometime in December or January from Montreal, Canada to Cologne, Germany and we are talking our 10 yr old Maine Coon with us. I am quite confused about the papers/documents/certificates required in order to have out cat accepted over there. I got a link to a EU website that indicates that a rabies vaccine and a microchip are mandatory and we also got a sample certificate that has to be filled out by our veterinary. Where I am getting confused is the validity of this certificate, it says that is should not be older than 4 months, however on another website it says that it should not be older than 10 days.
Has anyone moved with pets in Germany? Could you please share your experience?
Thank you very much

Angies Man
November 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM
mbassy of Germany
(202) 298-4000
Fax: (202) 298-4249 or 333-2653
4645 Reservoir Road, NW
Washington, DC 20007-1998
(202) 298-4000
Fax: (202) 298-4249 or 333-2653

Pets must have a Veterinary Vaccination Certificate stating they are in good health and have been
vaccinated against rabies (with an approved vaccine) not more than 12 months ago. This certificate is valid for 12 months, starting from the date of the last vaccination against rabies.

As clarification, we have taken the following information on pet importation directly from the German consulate's web site,

a) Principle
A permit under epizootic law shall be required for the importation and transit of dogs and domestic cats from the highest veterinary authority of the Land (State) which you enter first.

b) Exceptions
A permit shall not be required for the importation and transit of dogs and domestic cats,

(1) which are imported or transported in transit by travelers or being imported for reasons of moving to Germany provided:


not more than three animals are involved, in the case of falls of dogs or domestic cats the dam and the entire fall under three months.

these animals are not intended to be handed over to a third person, and it is proved that each animal has been vaccinated against rabies - or in case of litters the mother - and that the vaccination occurred at least 30 days, but not more than 12 months prior to entering the Federal Republic of Germany.

was renewed within 12 months of the previous vaccination against rabies, but not more than 12 months prior to entering the Federal Republic of Germany.

the vaccination must be certified by a veterinarian.

a valid International Vaccination Certificate or a veterinary vaccination certificate must be issued in German or must be accompanied by an officially certified German translation.
With multilingual documents including German, an official translation certification is not necessary. The seal or stamp must clearly state the agency or the address of the veterinary surgeon.

Please note:
A special regulation is applicable to dogs and domestic cats over three months of age from Great Britain and Ireland. Dogs and cats without vaccination against rabies are exceptionally permitted to be brought into Germany from these countries, if the animals are immediately vaccinated against rabies at their place of destination.

(1) They must comply with the requirements of sub-paragraph a) (be free of contagious diseases) and must be accompanied by an identification paper or a certificate in accordance with sub-paragraph b) (possess an international certificate of vaccination, a certificate in German or a translation certificate according to the pattern in Annex E of Directive 92/65/EEC).

(2) which are in transit between locations of a neighboring third country across the Federal Republic of Germany or between locations in Germany across the territory of a neighboring third country if there is an agreement between the Federal Republic of Germany and this third country to facilitate transit traffic.

(3) which are used for artistic performances

(4) dogs: which are used as guide dogs and official dogs of the Federal Armed Forces, the Federal Border Guard, customs authorities or police or in the rescue services

sledge dogs for the purposes of participating in races accompanied by a written confirmation of participation from the organizer of the race;

transported within or imported into the European Union accompanied by a vaccination certificate in accordance with para. (1).

November 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I moved two cats by car from France (within the EU where there are known caes of rabies) to Norway (utside the EU and no known cases of rabies).

Normally your vet knows what vaccines and shots your cat will need. For Norway it was rabies- and de-worming- shots (yes, a de-worming pill was not enough) as well as micro-chipping.

When we arrived at the border, there was no one there anyway, so the cats (Spoutnik and Zorro) passed as "clandestine" immigrants :D but they did have their papers had anyone asked.

I gave them half a sleeping tablet when we parked the car on the car deck of the ferry between Denmark and Norway, not enough to knock them out, just to calm them. Everything went just fine for both cats.

Good luck with your new life in Europe!

November 15th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Thank you both! You are very kind.
I have attached here what I have found on the net (EU site) as far as the veterinary certificate. My understanding is that, this is all we need. It includes reference to the micro-chip and the rabies vaccin which are mandatory for any animal to be imported to EU.
Thank you