Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy is not feeling well

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Today is a sad day around here. Puppy cried alot last nite in his sleep.:sad: more of a wimper than an actual cry. So, since I am home alone I slept with him on the floor. Nikita too slept with us.

I was rubbing his belly and chest through out most of the night. He has alot of lumps on his chest which were diagnosed as fatty deposits. However he is really tender just below his ribs on his side. He hasnt been constipated by all means. ( Puppy is a great pooper :o ) But I am thouroghly concerned about his wimpering and "tossing and turning " last nite.
This morning when it was time to get up. He hopped up like it was no bodys buisness and "hopped" around at the door. :confused: He seems fine today...

Please dont post.. " see a vet..." We are schedeled to go in first thing tomorrow morning. I just wanted to say whats happening and this is the most appropriate area to post this.

So, tomorrow when we are gone could all of you Pets.ca members keep your :fingerscr that its nothing too serious....:pray:
Thank you...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hope he is okay Erykah - its a good sign that he seems to feel better this morning - let us know how he does :fingerscr :grouphug:

jawert1
November 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Good luck Erykah, I hope he was just having a really festive dream and not that there's something really wrong :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time the past few days... We'll be thinking of you here with fingers and paws crossed! Maybe he just has a bruise...taking after Mom! :fingerscr

Rottielover
November 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM
how old is he???, this is the rottweiler right?...Please do a thourough blood pannel when you are there. I do not even want to mention what it could be.
but a full blood pannel will show, as well as mention an xray
PM me if you want

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks Rottielover, He recently had a blood panel done for his 6 month check up. He had no signs of the nast C word.
I will request another one however, thanks for reminding me... things can change.:( I will also ask for an xray.

He is approx 8 years old now, and we all know he didnt have the best nutritional life before he came here. So needless to say it could be ANYTHING.

The "bump" appears to be right with his intestines.:( He is laying on the front porch right now outside, he doesnt want to come in.( not unusual for him, he gets hot in the house :confused: ) He is really tired looking though, I know I didnt sleep worth a crap last nite ( worried sick) and I dont think he had a "restfull sleep" either.

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr Hope all goes well tomorrow.

hazelrunpack
November 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM
How did the vet visit go, Erykah? :fingerscr Is Puppy feeling better today?

chico2
November 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Aww Erykah,there is a wave of positive vibes coming to you and Puppy:fingerscr

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I hope all is well, :fingerscr

erykah1310
November 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Well the worst is confirmed. :sad: it is the nasty C word.:sad:
The vet said that it is in the early stages. Puppy is doing great today however, its so great that they dont understand what that means. His spirits are high and is showing no discomfort.

I am returning to the vet on monday just at closing to discuss treatment options.
Please if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks for your support.

Hunter's_owner
November 16th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Oh No!!! Erykah I am so sorry for you and puppy.:sad: :grouphug:

jesse's mommy
November 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Erykah, I'm so sorry. :grouphug: I hope it was caught early enough.

TeriM
November 16th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry. This must be an absolutely horrible time for you. Puppy is in our thoughts and prayers and good luck with possible treatment. :pray: :fingerscr :love:

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Is it confined to a lump just under the skin? If below his ribs it is in a good area for operating since they will be able to take the wide margins that are necessary which makes it easier to get it all.
Wishing you and pup the best with this

Skryker
November 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
:grouphug: erykah! I'm so sorry it turned out to be bad news. :fingerscr that since it is so early, he can be sucessfully treated.

Frenchy
November 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I just saw your post Erykah, I am so sorry but there's is hope . :fingerscr :grouphug:

Ptrcmcc6
November 16th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Awwwww, erykah.......I'm so sorry to hear the news was bad news. Hopefully since it's in it's early stages they can get it in time and puppy will have another 8 years with you. No make that another 10 years!! I will be keeping my fingers crossed also and hope everything goes well for you and puppy. :fingerscr

erykah1310
November 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Is it confined to a lump just under the skin? If below his ribs it is in a good area for operating since they will be able to take the wide margins that are necessary which makes it easier to get it all.
Wishing you and pup the best with this

The lump that i felt behind his last rib on his left side is where it is. The vet did say that it was in a reasonable place which removal could prove successful. The lump is approx the size of ... well smaller than a billiard ball but larger than a golf ball. ( sorry I cant think of a better description) Thankfully due to his bi annual blood work, his pet insurance should cover some of the cost. I do not understand how it is that there are still some people out there who dont have this wonderful coverage. Also, it is in very early stages. I have spent most of my day sitting with him on his bed, just petting him... I have had him for 1 year and a month now, and I cant believe how painful this is for me. There was an immediate connection with me and him the second he hopped in my car to come home.:(

I'm hoping that we can get it removed and he can have another few good years yet.:pray:

On a bit of a plus side... the vet was VERY impressed with his weight and mobility... He said " He's one lucky boy that you took him" and placed his hand on my shoulder. Made me feel so warm and happy on such a dreary, devestating day... Sometimes we dont really realize how much of a difference we have really made... until someone points it out.

wdawson
November 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM
so sorry to here that....that really sucks :sad:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 16th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Aww Erykah I am sorry - it seems like it was caught early - so maybe he will surprise you - my sisters Golden was diagnosed with cancer when he was a puppy - he pulled through and now he is 13 and doing fine :fingerscr :grouphug:

Rottielover
November 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I am sooooooooooo sorry , That was the first thing I thought of, and I was really hoping I was wrong.
You and puppy are in my thoughts

hazelrunpack
November 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Oh, Erykah--I'm so sorry to hear that! Best of luck with the treatments--if it's early enough you can get Puppy through this! :fingerscr

I wish I could send you a better week. I think you deserve one after the past few days :grouphug:

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 08:10 PM
:sad: Oh, I'm so sorry, Erykah! :grouphug: It sounds like your vet is a great person. Puppy is in good hands with you and I think you're in good hands with your vet. I hope you find a good treatment option and that Puppy responds well.:fingerscr :fingerscr

brandynva
November 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I can't even imagine what you must be going through. I don't have any advice, but I am :sorry: .. It sounds like he is in a good home and you have a good vet to take care of you. You and Puppy are in my thoughts. :grouphug:

Rob n Cody
November 17th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Hey there
I'm so sorry...It sounds like it has been caught nice and early, and you appear to have a wonderful vet!
Cody and I will be sending good energy to you both...please keep us posted, and I hope that you have many many more years with him.
R&C

chico2
November 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Erykah,your vet is right,Puppy could not be in better hands:love:
Between you and what seems to be a wonderful vet,I am sure he'll get the best care possible and tons of loving,there is always hope:pray:

erykah1310
November 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Strangest thing right now, is last nite he didnt make a sound, hes his usual bubbly self, Im kinda happy he showed discomfort that night, and thankfully it was while i was home. If I had been out of town ( as I tend to be) this could have been unneccicarily dragged on.
Although I have lost faith in SO many vets I have to agree that Puppys vet is a great person. Very caring... He goes to the same clinic as the other dogs but for some reason he is seen by another vet!?!?! Kita and Meiks vet is amazing too though, she is compassionate as well.

I have recommended so many people to go there as well. IMO an excellent vet who really cares is hard to find.As we see first hand around here....

I am far more optomistic today... the inital shock of what I knew was innevitable for him ( due to his past) has worn off and now I see the plus side to everything a bit more today... Im confident that once its removed he will be alright for a little longer. ( thats what I have chosen to believe anyway)
Thanks to everyone who sent PM's and so many encouraging words. I will be keeping you all posted as I find things out...

There is an amazing support system here that I am greatful for, most of my "real life" friends dont understand the bond I have with the animals and live with the mentality that they " are just animals". But I cant knock them all, I suppose it's just ignorance.

Thanks everyone once again. :grouphug: :highfive:

Prin
November 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I know what you mean about the understanding here... They're our babies. :shrug:

So where do we go from here? :o

Frenchy
November 18th, 2006, 01:55 AM
I am far more optomistic today... the inital shock of what I knew was innevitable for him ( due to his past) has worn off and now I see the plus side to everything a bit more today... Im confident that once its removed he will be alright for a little longer. ( thats what I have chosen to believe anyway)

I do the same ! Every bad news (more than once for Daisy) and when I first find out Bailey was heartworm positive, I was freaking out. And the next morning I always felt better and optomistic. It will work out for him and he will be around for more than a little longer. As for the support we get here, I hear you. I can't believe all the nice pm I got for Daisy.:grouphug:

igauresh
November 18th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I hope your puppy gets well soon and I also hope that the lumps would disappear so you and your puppy could get a goodnight sleep every night. You are such a nice friend to your dog pet for being very concern about him.

jawert1
November 18th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Erykah, I'm so sorry to hear about Puppy but am eternally grateful that he helped you by giving you a sleepless night. Dogs fare so much better than we humans when it comes to battling C, I have faith that he'll come through everything and am so glad he has you. Hang in there :grouphug:

cpietra16
November 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Erykah...I too am sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I wish your baby and you all the positive healing vibes:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

erykah1310
November 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Well we just got back from the vet... he is going in for surgery wednesday morning..:fingerscr his vet also seems VERY optomistic about the whole situation and feels that Puppy could bounce back wonderfully ( but no guarantees of course)

Puppy came for the ride too, he just loves his veggie treats from the vets.

Im nervous but excited all at once... hopefully this can help Puppy keep up with a normal enough life ( considering)

So, wednesday morning, lets all keep our :fingerscr that Puppy does GREAT!

Rottielover
November 20th, 2006, 06:46 PM
keeping puppy in my thoughts for a very speedy recovery

rainbow
November 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Erykah, I haven't been here for a few days and just read this now. I am so sorry to hear about Puppy. :grouphug:

One of my last huskies had a four inch tumour removed from his intestines and then they were stretched and sewn back together. He was almost 10 yr. old at the time and his prognosis was 8 to 10 months but he lasted for 22 months and 4 days before I made the agonizing decision.

Many positive thoughts coming your way for Wednesday. :fingerscr :pray: :fingerscr

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
I should be proper here and post an update ( for those who stay away from the threadjack thread)

Puppy had his surgery today and he did wonderful!!!:thumbs up The "lump" was NOT in or on his intestines ( which was a concern) it was just under the skin.. Removal went well, apparently very smooth.. and puppy is expected to make a full recovery!!!!:thumbs up
Everyone at the vets is extremely optomistic so, so am I

He comes home tomorrow evening.. ( I cant wait.. I miss him so much)

thanks again to everyone with your good vibes and wonderful thoughts!

jiorji
November 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
yay BIG Puppy:cloud9: I knew you were tough for mommy and your old daddy:thumbs up

BusterBoo
November 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
I am so happy to hear that your Puppy did well with his surgery! I am not familiar with the big "C" in dogs.....do they need follow up treatments after surgery? Is there chemo? radiation?

I am asking because my Harley had a lump removed yesterday and I am worried it was "C". :sad:

Frenchy
November 22nd, 2006, 06:00 PM
I am so happy to hear that your Puppy did well with his surgery! I am not familiar with the big "C" in dogs.....do they need follow up treatments after surgery? Is there chemo? radiation?

I am asking because my Harley had a lump removed yesterday and I am worried it was "C". :sad:

You don't need any follow up but you will need to check Harley for other lumps, the sooner you find them,sooner your can do something about it :fingerscr for Harley.

Frenchy
November 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
I already told you Erykah but woooohooo again ! :highfive:

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM

actually there is going to be quite a bit of follow up with him, not treatments but keep a close eye on everything. He wont need chemo ( and frankly I dont think i would do that to him) but since he has had such a "shaky" past they really want to keep a close eye on him.

rainbow
November 22nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Three cheers for Puppy :highfive: and fingers crossed for continued progress. :fingerscr

technodoll
November 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
three cheers for Puppy!

Prin
November 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM
I already told you Erykah but woooohooo again ! :highfive:

Me too, again! WOO!! :highfive:

angeldogs
November 23rd, 2006, 03:12 AM
Just saw this thread now.I'm glad the surgery went good.And some strain off you i hope.:fingerscr for a speedy recovery

erykah1310
November 23rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
He's home now and its been a rough evening. :(
He has a bit of an upset stomache and a hacky cough ( like kita had from the intubation)
When i went to pick him up I think he heard me cause when I started talking he FREAKED, i could hear him barking and whining, they brought him out and he was hobbly ( still tender of course) He was SOOOO happy to see me and he cried and cried and cried... :love: Poor guy!
But he is sleeping good now ( snoring loudly)
Im suprised how small the insicion is:eek: I thought it would have been bigger but its only about 2.5 inches. ( I took a peek under his gauze, im bad I know)
I will see later if i can snap a pic of it ( tomorrow or something) I dont want to bother him with it.

Poor big bugger, but he's home!

Frenchy
November 23rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
Sleep tight Puppy ! :cloud9:

rainbow
November 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
I hope you both get a good night's sleep. :cloud9:

Prin
November 24th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Sleep well Puppy. Good luck for the recovery.:fingerscr

chico2
November 24th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Poor Puppy,but coming home to mom works wonders:love:

technodoll
November 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM
so how is Puppy today? :love:

erykah1310
November 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Good, he isnt coughing anymore so thats great!
This morning when it was pee time he wanted to play instead of pee, so it was a brief out side adventure this morning. He kinda hobbles around ( tender i suppose) but other than that, things are going good for him. ( so far:fingerscr )