Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

China's one dog policy resisted

Rick C
November 15th, 2006, 08:52 AM
China's new "One Dog Policy" is being resisted says this Washington Post story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15721402/

What would you do if the government mandated one dog per family?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Angies Man
November 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I'd have one dog.

LM1313
November 15th, 2006, 12:40 PM
To be fair, a lot of places in the US (and Canada, I imagine) have a limit to how many dogs you can have. I'm think we're allowed two dogs here. I know we're only allowed three cats. I'd be disappointed if I lived somewhere that didn't allow more than one dog, but this doesn't make me angry like the previous "clubbing for rabies" thing did. Obviously, I think dogs owned before the limit went into effect should be grandfathered in and allowed to stay with their families.

Edit: I do think that this is a silly thing for them to be wasting their resources on, though. Surely there are more pressing problems?

Also, I just noticed this:

and ban dogs taller than 14 inches.

Uh. What? So small dogs don't get rabies? Oh, WAIT, never mind . . .

A spokesman for the administrative office of the Agriculture Bureau, which helped draft the rules, said the height limit was the result of input from dog owners, the public and academics. Dogs higher than 14 inches "make those who don't own dogs psychologically afraid," said the spokesman, who identified himself only as Mr. Lu.

Clearly Mr. Lu has never seen a mellow, well-trained labrador compared to a spoiled, untrained, evil-tempered yorkie.

"More and more people own dogs. It is pointless to restrict dog-raising. The stricter the government is, the more people will love to own a dog," said Liu Tao, 26, who was at the unauthorized protest Saturday. "We are not blocked from the outside now. With the Internet, we can see how Western countries treat dogs well. It's hard to stop us from communicating with the outside."

He's so true about the change in communications. I think eventually the easy exchange of ideas will bring about massive changes to China.

I think it's very interesting seeing how the attitude towards dogs has changed, comparing "Gen Y" of China to the older officials.

Golden Girls
November 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I'd have one dog.

chico2
November 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
What do you think happens to the larger dogs??
Grandfathering? I think not,this is China we are talking about:evil:
Any dog larger than 14 inches,will be pulled from their owners and killed,probably not in a humane way.
I think it was mentioned close to 3.000 people have died of rabies in China,have they not heard of rabiesvaccine???
Heck,they are hosting the olympics in 2008,they don't know about rabies vaccine??
Judging by what goes on in the cat/dog fur and meatmarket,nothing surprises me about China any more,not to forget their human rights violations.