Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This may sound like a stupid question??

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Ok......so this may sound like a stupid question but what is the difference between kibble and dog food? Or is it the same?

Patty

Dogastrophe
November 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Kibble is generally described as 'dry' food in pellet type form. All dog kibble is dog food (although some far better quality than others) but not all dog food is kibble (i.e. wet food, raw, etc).

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Thanx for clearing that up. That is what I thought it was. I just never called it "kibble". I always called it dry food and mushy food.......lol.

So I'm assuming those big bags of dog food you buy in the supermarket (although I've read they are low quality) are considered "kibble" also?

mummummum
November 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Yup, if it's dry and in a bag ~ it's kibble. Not that it's recommended unless you need to resurface your driveway or patch some gyprock. :D

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Mum, I don't get that driveway bit...:o

But yeah look at the ingredients on the bag. Most, if not all, grocery store kibbles are terrible. A couple grocery stores apparently carry Holistic Blend (lower end of the holistic spectrum) according to Holistic Blend's website, but that's about it. :shrug:

A dog and cat food store would have much better options and even then, the big chain ones tend to have crap too.:rolleyes: :yell:

PetFriendly
November 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM
A dog and cat food store would have much better options and even then, the big chain ones tend to have crap too.:rolleyes: :yell:

Agreed, the smaller dog/cat food stores that are located in strip malls, and generally don't sell animals, tend to have the better selections of high quality foods.