Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog in heat for the first time.

cindyloulou
November 15th, 2006, 03:58 AM
My dog is in heat for the first time, how long does it last and do they act different toward the end of being in heat?

~michelle~
November 15th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I cant tell you much about your dog being in heat, however i urge you to get spayed ASAP. There are 112 261 dogs listed on petfinder and are looking for homes.

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 10:48 AM
hi, I dont know much about a dog's heat cycle either, but I believe it lasts approx 2 weeks---- OR she can get preggers after 2 weeks Im not sure.
I also dont know if they act any differently after the cycle is complete.

I hope you are going to be bringing her in to get spayed afterwards. an unaltered dog has a higher risk of certain life threatening illnesses and cancers than on who has been altered.

Definately keep her away from ALL males... regardless of the duration of time she is in contact with them. Sometimes things happen in a matter if a second.
Keep her by your side and dont take your eyes off of her.
It is EXREMELY dangerous and unethical to allow her to become pregnate this young.
PLEASE keep her away from other dogs.:pray:

Angies Man
November 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Estrus ("heat") is the mating period of female animals. When estrus occurs, animals are said to be "in heat" or "in season." Dogs generally have their first estrous cycle at 6-12 months of age. Some females of the large breeds, however, may not have their first estrus until they are 12-24 months of age.

The complete cycle takes about 6 months, resulting in 2 estrous periods each year. Individual variation occurs, but a given female's pattern tends to be repeated regularly.

The estrous cycle can be divided into 4 stages:

1. Proestrus: This stage begins with the appearance of vaginal bleeding. It normally lasts from 4 to 9 days. Male dogs become very interested in the female; however, she will not yet mate with them.

2. Estrus: This is the stage in which the female will accept the male and conception can occur. The vaginal discharge is more yellowish than bloody. Ordinarily, the stage lasts for 4 to 13 days. Your female will stand still and hold her tail to the side when you touch her back or a male dog tries to mount.

3. and 4. Metestrus and anestrus: These 2 stages are periods of ovarian activity, but with no significant outward signs. False pregnancies frequently occur during metestrus.

Some Important Points

* You should consider your pet to be "in season" for 21 days: 7 days coming into heat, 7 days in heat, 7 days going out. Though conception is most likely during the middle 7 days, Mother Nature doesn't always follow the rules. Confine your pet for the entire 3 weeks.

* Remember that the above information is general. Not all females follow these patterns. Consult with the doctor if your pet does not seem typical. Sometimes, cycling problems can be an early warning of more serious problems, and the sooner they are dealt with, the better.

End quote.

From "Longer Life for the Dog You Love" Michelle Welton 2004,

DO NOT SPAY DURING A HEAT PERIOD. With all the blood flowing to the reproductive organs, surgery is more risky. Wait . . . a month or two after heat period before you spay.

Hope this helps.:dog:

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
DO NOT SPAY DURING A HEAT PERIOD. With all the blood flowing to the reproductive organs, surgery is more risky. Wait . . . a month or two after heat period before you spay.

Hope this helps.:dog:

I agree with not spaying during a heat period, however I do not see a reason to wait a month or 2, IF your dog was mated during her cycle 2 months would result in puppies. My female was spayed the week after her cycle ended, some vets will do it and some will not. There was a good chance that she may have been caught during her heat so we did not waste any time.
However, YES the blood loss can be substatually more. It was recommended that we went with the laser spay, and we did, with no adverse effects.
I would recommend at least 2 weeks after the cycle. Give her time to adjust to the hormonal changes she has been through. But definately not 2 months.

Great post by the way Angies Man :thumbs up

coppperbelle
November 16th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I picked up a foster from a puppy mill and she immediately went into heat the following day. Spaying was not an option at that point and she went a full three weeks with bleeding and spotting. Our vet recommended that we wait two months after her heat before having her spayed.
Please keep her away from any males and do not allow her outside alone. A female in heat can attract dogs from long distances. They will also go to extremes to get to the female, even scaling high fences or digging deep holes under them.
After her heat has finished please contact your vet for an appointment to have her spayed.
There will be personality changes especially if she has a false pregnancy.

OntarioGreys
November 16th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Unless you are going to be showing your dogs, spaying prior to the first heat can reduce the chance of mammary cancer by about 12% allowing her to have a 2nd heat cycles increases her odds of mammary cancer to 20%.

Daizy
November 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM
"""DO NOT SPAY DURING A HEAT PERIOD. With all the blood flowing to the reproductive organs, surgery is more risky. Wait . . . a month or two after heat period before you spay."""

My vet won't spay during heat or until 2 months after as it takes that long for the hormones to get back to normal.

Angies Man
November 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Unless you are going to be showing your dogs, spaying prior to the first heat can reduce the chance of mammary cancer by about 12% allowing her to have a 2nd heat cycles increases her odds of mammary cancer to 20%.

The numbers I've read are 1 in 200 if spayed before the first heat, 1 in 15 if done after the first or second heat, and 1 in 4 if never spayed. I've read that these numbers are for mammary cancer, but somewhere I read that they were for all mammary tumors--both malignant and nonmalignant.

As it's a hysterectomy, tho, it does protect against uterine infections and false pregnancy, both serious conditions.

I've also read that spaying before the dog's first heat will keep their bodies more puppylike--rounded hips, etc. because the hormones from estrus help the dog's body move into adolescence and finish off the grow cycle.

It's the owner's choice, of course. I am going to let Angie have her first 'heat' and then have her spayed. (I've owned intact females before, tho and know what to expect as far a spotting, and her attractiveness to stray intact males.)