Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lethargic boxer

boxermom77
November 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Hey all! Never posted before, glad to be a part of your community! We're very worried about our boxer girl. she has had a hacking, retching cough after exerting herself (intermittently) and is generally lethargic, tacchypnic (fast respiratory rate), and has decreased appetite. she is only 2 and a half years old. visited the vet today and have gotten a clean bill of health so far (no heartworm, diabetes, cushings, etc., and negative urine and stool screen). we know she is not right and we're wondering what step to take next
thanks for your help!

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I would consider getting a second opinion from another vet.

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Definitely. She's not ok.

OntarioGreys
November 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Tick disease, heart disease, a thyroid problem -- which can be common in boxers, a dog does not have to be overweight to have the lethargy is one symptom, and the coughing could be a sign of laryngeal paralysis and even 2 year old can have

Rob n Cody
November 15th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Has she been near any strange or stray dogs? It could be Kennel cough which is nasty and very contagious. I would definitely get a second opinion
R

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I agree with the others, a second opinion is in order!! A 2 year old boxer that is lethargic is a Very unhappy/ill boxer.... at this age a healthy Boxer should have "springs" under her feet. Bouncing around and being a typical energetic boxer.

I hope you get a second opinion and she gets better soon :fingerscr

SnowDancer
November 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Would get a second opinion. Actually - and it probably isn't this - but I know a 1 1/2 year old Boxer who was in perfect health until he breathed in some sort of pollen and now has a form of pneumonia/bronchitis - is on meds now - was very lethargic etc. She has been like this for a couple of months despite getting treatment very fast - and is now perking up. It did at first sound like Kennel Cough.

boskat
November 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM
Never posted before but bred and showed boxers in England and while it may be a simple kennel cough we have a problem with hearts over here and coughing can be one of the symptoms. Did your vet do a heart check. I would definitely get a second opinion

rainbow
November 21st, 2006, 05:32 PM
boxermom77, do you have an update for us? Did you get a second opinion? :fingerscr