Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

18 yr old cat died after enema

lightningfromth
November 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
My 18 year-old cat was having trouble pooping. The vet gave me an enema and fiber pills (to mix in the food). I gave her the pet enema, then went back to work; came home 4 hours later and she was extremely distressed. I ran her up to the vet and she died right there in my arms. Why? What happened to her? I did it correctly (I hope). There was no poop on the floor or anywhere, just oily places. After she died (yesterday) she passed some gooey poop with some blood. I am sick about this and wanted everyone to know so they can avoid this.

~michelle~
November 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I am terribly sorry for your loss. the enema and the not pooping was probably just too much for the poor old (and already ill cat) to handel, but dont blame yourself. howver for future pet owners if your animal requires an enema have the vet (or vet assistant) do it. enemas can cause tearing of the intestinal lining which can lead to bacteria getting in to the bloodstream.

chico2
November 14th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I am so sorry:sad:your cat died,I don't know why,maybe the enema was just too much for an 18yr old cat,or maybe she had another medical problem?
We all feel guilt when a pet dies and keep asking ourselves if we did the right thing.
Maybe,if you have a good vet,he can explain to you what happened and put your mind at ease.
She lived a long happy life with you and you'll miss her terribly,but rest assure she is ok now and very grateful she had you in her life.
:rip: little girl

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Maybe it was too much, or maybe your cat was already shutting down, and wasn't pooping as a result of the shutting down.

Ptrcmcc6
November 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :sorry: :sad: . Our pets become part of our families and it's always hard when one passes on. I hope you find comfort in knowing you've had a long 18 years with her and those memories nobody can ever take away. I don't think you did anything wrong. You saw your baby was sick and did what any responsible "parent" would have done. You tried to make her better. At 18 years of age, she probably had other underlying conditions that usually set in with old age. Please don't blame yourself........:grouphug:

Patty

cpietra16
November 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I am really sorry for your loss. I am sure you did everything you were told to do, but at 18 so many things can go wrong with their system. I'm just sorry you had witness her passing they way it was. :rip: little one.18 years is a good long life