Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adopted Calico throws up daily.

broncocandy
November 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Around three months ago I adopted a 1yr old Calico cat named Marmalade from the local pet store. She is the best cat I have ever had but she throws up her food at least once a day. Shes not skinny or loosing weight at all. Most of the time she eats what she throws up unless I can catch it in time and I dont let her. But she doesnt act like this effects her at all because she is very active and like I said before no where near being skinny. I have tried multiple foods anything from kitten food to adult including wet and dry foods. But nothing seems to help her she usually throws it up what ever it is that she has eaten. Please let me know what you think could be the problem im not sure what else to try. Thanks in advance...

erykah1310
November 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
I would try taking her to the vet. Chances are that something could be wrong with her and it could be causeing some severe discomfort or even pain.
I would definately get her checked out.

Too much food switching also could upset her belly but since this is a daily thing definately time for a visit with the DR.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Definitely needs a vet. Pet shops are often full of bugs and viruses.

abudamunky
November 16th, 2006, 12:12 AM
my 7yr old does that. i figured out that at his old house (my mother-in-law's) that he was only fed twice a day and then moving into my now old house where i "free fed"(left the dishes full most of the day) he pretty much ate more than his belly could handle and he didn't really chew his food much either.
try limiting how much u feed your calico and how often. i use a shot glass looking thing (i think it holds about a 1/4 cup) and put one of those in each bowl at night and in the morning and then half of that in each bowl mid-day. our 2yr old doesn't like the food being cut down, but perseus hasn't throw up since i set up this schedual about a month ago. u might just want to try it for a week or so..... but the vet is always the final opinion....

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 12:29 AM
but the vet is always the final opinion....Or the first... depending... ;)

abudamunky
November 16th, 2006, 01:25 AM
strike "final" and replace with "best" :D :p

Maya
November 16th, 2006, 02:06 AM
And if the first vet is no help get a second opinion and so on.

I have tried multiple foods anything from kitten food to adult including wet and dry foods.

After you have her cleared of medical problems from the vet you could continue to look into food allergies to specific ingredients. Definitley get the vets opinion first though, she could be quite sick. Do they give info to you about if or what shots the cat has had when you adopt from a pet store? If you have any info i'd bring it with you to the visit.