Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

uncontrollable eater

muddymama
November 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I have a 7 month old Beagle who loves to eat everything ( I know this is a Beagle thing) and no matter how closely I watch him he still manages to find and get into things he shouldnt have, for example this summer while camping he found an absorbant pad from a steak package that someone littered and he swallowed it whole before I could grab it, luckily it passed and every thing was ok. last night he somehow got the lid off his food conainer and ate so much he made himself sick. I called the vet cause he was crying, vomiting and shaking but he is ok now. He has went to obedience classes but " leave it" is one comand he only follows if he wants to ( another Beagle thing I think) I am afraid someday his appetite will be the death of him. Does anyone have any suggestions?

we3beagles
November 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Mine ate everything from linoleum to drywall. Trust me it does get better. You need to teach him what is acceptable to chew and what isn't. When he goes for the socks give him a growl and toss him a toy and give him a good boy when he picks it up. If you cannot watch him he either needs to be crated or in a place where he cannot cause any damage surrounded with his toys. Make his toys more appetizing by picking up a kong and stuffing it with treats. You could also try tethering him to you by putting his leash through your belt loop. That way you can keep him in sight. Praise him mightily when he settles down to chew his own toys.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:15 PM
More dog proofing. And a shorter leash. :shrug:

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I have a 7 month old Beagle who loves to eat everything ( I know this is a Beagle thing) \ He has went to obedience classes but " leave it" is one comand he only follows if he wants to ( another Beagle thing I think)

Yes both are beagle traits, unforunately. My beagle Cassie has got to be about the most stubborn dog, but then so is her mother, and her sisters:rolleyes:
But like we3beagles said, it does get better. So for the time being, I agree with the others, leash him, crate him, etc unless you can watch and make sure he can't get into anything. Good luck with it:)

muddymama
November 14th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Thank you, it is nice to know it will get better, he is like one of my children but gets into twice as much trouble as all of them put together

OntarioGreys
November 15th, 2006, 09:23 AM
But are your 2 legged children entering their teenage years yet????
That opinion could yet reverse :D and at least the puppy terror time and eat everything in sight does not last as long.

tenderfoot
November 15th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Please also be sure that the dog food he got into is put away so that can't happen again. He came very close to bloating.

If you ever need to force him to be sick - have a plastic syringe available (no needle) and use either fresh hydrogen peroxide or a HIGH concentration of salt water and give him about 10cc's of the liquid. He should vomit in about 5 minutes. Only do this if you know what he swallowed is not going to cause more problems on the way back out.

we3beagles
November 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Yes, i have everything under lock and key. My garbages are all in vanities and cupboards, treats go way up in the cupboard, food is in an airtight container in the pantry and we are ever concious of things on the counters. One of mine clear jumped the counter (no scrambling) for a ham sandwich. There have been a lot of accomodations made to assure us that our dogs would be safe. I have even been known to duct tape the front door shut so the puppy sitters would remember to not open it.:crazy: I have also heard hydrogen peroxide is not safe to use to induce vomitting, but the salt water is sure fire.

muddymama
November 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
He came very close to bloating.

Thank you I have done that now, at risk of sounding like an idiot, I know what it means when I am bloated but is it different for a dog? I only spoke to a vet on the phone and she said it didn't sound like I needed to bring him in and he is fine now. How do I know when it is serious?

tenderfoot
November 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I am not a vet - but I would have encouraged you to make him vomit or taken him to the vet.

The classic symptoms you described were leading you down a bad road. Bloat occurs when the stomach gets engorged with too much food/gas. It can be caused by many different things but over eating in one session can do it very quickly. Sometimes the stomach can then twist on itself causing a great deal of pain for the dog, but then the dog suddenly has no pain at all and then death can follow. Basically the twisted gut (gastric torsion) pinches off the ends of the stomach which causes pain and then the tissue dies and the pain stops. By this point it is really too late.

A big mistake people make is they think 'oh, we will just be gone for the day (or weekend) and we can leave his food out for him. He'll be fine'. The dog then eats a whole days ration or worst - 2 days ration, drinks a ton of water on top of that and bloats. The people come home to a sick or dead dog.

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Here's everything you (and every dog owner) needs to know about bloat:
http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

muddymama
November 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Thank you, that web site was very helpful.