Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Clothes???

jessymoka
November 14th, 2006, 02:52 PM
:dog: I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion is on dog clothes??? :dog:

I'm torn... I am more for a functional dog sweater for warmth purposes as opposed to a tank top and skirt (I have a brother in law who dresses his mini dacshie like this and it disturbs me... maybe because it's a man dressing a dog for fun, if it was his wife I would be less shocked :eek: , LOL)

But I am torn about buying a thick jacket/sweater for my dog for winter.
She is only outside long enough to do her business, and than I (who is standing at the door waiting for her) immediately let her back in.

We live in the Chicago area and winters can be unpredictable here... Ice storms, snow storms, 60 degrees ,anything goes.
But she has fur, fur keeps her warm.

Should I buy one? To me it seems frivelous (I'm a tight wad)
Deep down inside, I secretly want to buy one, but am having a hard time justifying it... probably because my husband keeps saying "She has fur"

So... I am polling. What do you all think of doggie clothes? Functional or not?

:)

erykah1310
November 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I like you am torn on this subject as well, i think if its functional then yes its alright, but you still have to add some flare to it right?

I am still looking for Kitas Roots hoodie, she doesnt need a wardrobe but I think a cute little red hoodie would be awesome for her ( and me)

It kinda irritates me when EVERY time you see a certain dog it is wearing something different for no apparent reason. I think dog clothes are alright as long as they dont end up with more than you have

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I have to say I was completely against dog clothes for the longest time. My mini eskie never had the problem of being too cold (obviously).

However, my new puppy who is a half rat/boston gets cold really easliy. I finally gave up and bought her a puffy coat to keep her warm. It's functional....nothing flashy.

I really don't like this picture they have on Petco...but mine looks something like this: http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_5337_PC_productlist_Nav_176_rpp_51 _N_22+149_sku_207551_familyID_12641.aspx

I'm against getting dog clothes as a fashion statement. I mean what is the point of getting a tutu for your dog?!??! I just don't understand it. I feel like some ppl do it because they think their dog is an accessory....you know the type I'm talking about...

Recently, I have taken on the challenge of making her clothes....I ended up creating this fleece shawl/wrap which worked out pretty well. It keeps her warm and stays on and only cost about $5 plus and some time.

~michelle~
November 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
i think non functional dog clothes look silly. but to each their own. id rather see someone dressing their pup up to be cute than some jerk who misuses a prong collar to make their dog look tougher. Although i dont understand some of the paris hilton wannabe's and the "dog purse" your dog can walk, and if it needs to be carried hold it dont shove it in a "designer" bag because some dingbat celebrity does it

pug lover
November 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
i have a whole collection of dog clothing from winter coats boots sweater t-shirts and rain wear

fashion yes needed yes but most important rosie loves to get dressed

jessymoka
November 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
and the "dog purse" your dog can walk, and if it needs to be carried hold it dont shove it in a "designer" bag because some dingbat celebrity does it

Sorry, I am going off topic here :offtopic: ...
The Dog purse BUGS me! My brother in laws wife has a dog purse.

I was watching on Animal planet one day while doing laundry an animal products convention and they were showing all the things they had out...
And then they show the pet strollers.
Is it not bad enough that society is lazy, but now we have to make our dogs lazy???
If I had a disabled dog, this might be something that is nice.

But DOGS NEED EXCERSISE!!!!!!

It's like in the movie Over the Hedge, when the racoon tells the other animals...

"And this is an SUV, humans are slowly losing their ability to walk"

If anybody ever see's me pushing my dog in a stroller, please stop me and beat me up!

Back on subject...
I really think I am going to pick up a warm sweater for Abby. My husband can jest if he wishes.

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Actually, I have never thought I would dress a dog, but Cassie do get cold in the winter and my Mother just finished knitting a nice warm sweater for her. It is very cute, and practical at the same time. She will never wear any trendy unecessary clothes, but I have now stepped into the dog clothes territory for the first time:D

jessymoka
November 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Well... I did it.

I went to Old Navy last night and Bought Abby a doggie jacket.

It's actually quite nice (though I paid more than I would have prefered)
The outside is brown (same color brown as her papillon fur patches) and the inside is that white chunky warm sheepy looking stuff. and you can adjust the size with the side straps, I'm happy with it.

However she will only be wearing it to go out when the weather is dreadful.

So I am now among those who own dog clothes. :dog:

SnowDancer
November 15th, 2006, 11:29 AM
When my mini Dachshunds were alive they had fleece type coats that were excellent - and manly - and these guys were super Alpha - I think they would have rebelled had I tried to dress them up in something frou frou. Now we have the American Eskimo. His hair is thick, but it is more like furry hair - like Persian cat hair. He does have a short fleet jacket - leaving room for him to do his business - it is not a fussy coat and he only wears it when it is really cold. A couple of weeks ago I bought him a raincoat - it was hard because he doesn't like things that are hard to put on - it is called the Cosmopolitan Raincoat - modelled of course by a mini Dachshund - Murphy's Law it would seem. But it is good - easy to get on and off - and it shields the top part of his fur from the rain - but not the bottom. This is a dog who LOVES the rain while I get soaked. As for a tutu - well my guy is feminine looking and on the very odd occasion he does lift his leg, it is at a 90 degree angle and people have asked "where is HER tutu"?

erykah1310
November 15th, 2006, 12:30 PM
It's like in the movie Over the Hedge, when the racoon tells the other animals...

"And this is an SUV, humans are slowly losing their ability to walk"

"WOW, how many of them can fit in there?" " Usually just one"

that was hilarious but Oh so true!

pug lover
November 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM
rosie is only 2.5 and i am considering getting a stroller 4 her he had a hard start to life and it really catching up to her but she loves to just sit and look

fashionalble and useful

never thought of a purse though:rolleyes:

PetFriendly
November 15th, 2006, 06:33 PM
My dog has a wardrobe, but its all home made (by me) and he only wears clothing when its needed, to keep him dry (he has long fur that tends to knot if it gets soaked) or to keep him warm (he's small so he has a hard time retaining his body heat if its too cold) or to make him more visible (like the jackets joggers wear with reflective bands). He also has boots to protect his feet from the salt in the winter, and a life jacket for our white-water canoe trips.

I was thinking about getting his a sling type carrier, because sometimes I just know he's tired of walking but I might want to continue, and I find I loose my momentum if I stop at home to drop him off. A stroller though is something I would not do though...

tarasmom
November 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM
ok the stoller thing gets me, cant imagine that, the purse though, well when I first got tara I put her in my purse and she loves it, as soon as it went on the floor in she went, she knew we were going out. It was great cause I could take her into any store and no one knew, didnt have to leave her in the car ( new puppy didnt want accidents on the seats ect..0 of course now that we know she isnt the chiuaua we thought she was, and has gotten a hell of a lot bigger than we planned she doesnt fit in the purse anymore, she stays in the car for short jaunts, if i am gonna be any longer than a few minutes she stays at home and i go back and get her.
as far as clothes, tara loves them, she knows that when I pull out her sweaters or shirts we are either going out or to work and she come right over and puts her head out to get dressed. they keep her warm and she looks great. and its her que for out now., She stays nekkid at home usually. and really some people dress up their kids in some really stupid outfits when they are babies, for their own pleasure( the babies dont care what they are wearing) so whats the diff??
My tara rides on the motorcycle with me and has her full gear the same as me, and I like to get girly once in a while and she does with me. She is my best friend and my fun includes her in all ways.( and she knows it)

tarasmom
November 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Oh forgot to add, if you do want clothes ( for small breeds only mind you) if you can find a build-a-bear workshop( I go to square one, mississauga) the bear clothes also fit most small breed dogs and are cheap!
and the selection is amazing

Lissa
November 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Dodger and Minnow have a bike trailer and I LOVE IT!:D But let me explain LOL...It was bought to transport them from our campsite to the main road because pets aren't allowed to walk on the campsite roads (and 2 years ago my car battery died from all the stopping and starting to take Dodger for a walk).
It's come in real handy because Dodger pulls Minnow in it...and its more convenient to bring Minnow on walks around the neighbourhood - she just rides (or hides!) until she gets her second wind!

*I do hate to see them used in replace of walk*

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/23/biketrailer.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

PetFriendly
November 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I was thinking of soemthing similar to get charley to the nature trails around here... They are a little too far for him to walk to, but would be a nice bike ride for me, and once we'd get there he'd still have energy to explore with!

:sorry: that's :offtopic: , but I couldn't help it :o .

Mocha's mum
November 18th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I bought little booties for my Lhasa. He loves to be outside, and I was just a little concerned in the winter with ice, and gravel, etc. It took him a while to get used to them, but I think they're quite practical. :thumbs up