Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help... dog Chewing EVERYTHING, AND Peeing on the Floor Still

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys... I need some help, I have recently adopted my dog from a shelter. He is approx. 10mnths old. He is Husky/Collie mix and VERY VERY hyper...
He hasnt had a very good life so far, we think hes been abused.
Anyways, he has a chewing problem.. So far hes chewed all my blinds, my baseboard on my walls, my walls themelves, my stairs, my coffee table, linoleum floors and my area rugs... We have tried EVERYTHING possible to make this stop, NOTHING is working!
ALSO, as soon as you reprimand him he pees on the floor... He was doing sooooo well with this up until a week ago and now hes scared of my husband and I and if you reach for him quickly he pee's (TRUST ME WE DONT BEAT HIM... Im a HUGE animal lover and would NEVER do it) sometimes he pees on the floor for nothing... I need help, Im at a loss, and tired of having my stuff ruined and things peed on... I hope its just marking that will stop when we have him fixed next mnth!
Thanks Everyone!!:confused:

P.s. As I was typing this my dog was chewing on the baseboard... I heard him doing it upstairs, and caught him b4 he could damage too much... Ive wiped them all down with vinegar... Actually quite heavily I wonder if this will deter him????

~michelle~
November 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
the urination is probably submissive urination, which you can find information about on this thread or on the web. have you purchased stuff from the petstore that can detere him from biting? bitter apple stuff?

~michelle~
November 14th, 2006, 04:01 PM
also its a husky they need lots and lots of excerise:) if they dont they tend to become destuctive (i have 2 husky crosses) try increasing the hard physical exercise (running) by 1/2 hour daily

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Thnx Very much for your help
I was going to try the bitter apple tonite(once hubby gets home)
I run him once a day, usually 6-7 times a week... and if for some reason i cant we usually have 1 hr play time in the yard
I was assuming that its bordom, but im not sure
I feel bad about him peeing on the floor i dont want him scared of me!!

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM
P.s. As I was typing this my dog was chewing on the baseboard... I heard him doing it upstairs, and caught him b4 he could damage too much... Ive wiped them all down with vinegar... Actually quite heavily I wonder if this will deter him????What would deter him is if you were watching him. He has free run of the house unsupervised. Even I'd chew under those circumstances.

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 04:38 PM
So let me get this straight, You want me to be at my dogs side ALL DAY LONG..... NOPE.... I had a rottweiler/pittbull mix for 6 years and she had free run and NEVER chewed anything....
I cant watch him all the time
My computer is in the basement and generally hes with me when im down here but if hes upstairs in the livingroom on his bed sleeping im not going to wake him to come down with me.
Thnx anyways

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
You said it yourself- your old dog never chewed. This one does and while you're home too! Your old dog might have been perfect, but this one isn't and needs help. You don't have to stick to his side all day, but you can keep him close to yours. Otherwise, no amount of bitter apple/vinegar, etc will help. He needs consistency. :shrug:

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I appreciate your trying to help. I still dont agree with you tho.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Good luck then. I don't think anybody can help you unless you can commit to helping your own dog.:shrug:

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 04:53 PM
unfortunately i dont think everyone would agree with you
neither does my dog trainer

jesse's mommy
November 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have a few comments. If your dog was abused, then you have to be careful with how you reprimand him. If you raise your voice, it could send the dog backwards. I'm sure you can do searches on here for training abused dogs.

As for the chewing, it's probably boredom or separation anxiety. For a ten month old collie/husky mix, one hour of playtime in the yard is definitely not enough. Huskies are a working breed and need to spend that energy. They probably need a good 3-4 hours of playtime a day. If there is a lot of chewing when you aren't there, have you considered crate training? In the past I was never a big advocate of it, but with my current dog, we HAD to crate her for a good six months before we could trust her to the run of the house. She's fine now, but when she was younger she chewed everything.

wdawson
November 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM
what has your trainer told you?.....it can't be working if your here asking for help.:rolleyes:

LavenderRott
November 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
So let me get this straight, You want me to be at my dogs side ALL DAY LONG..... NOPE.... I had a rottweiler/pittbull mix for 6 years and she had free run and NEVER chewed anything....
I cant watch him all the time
My computer is in the basement and generally hes with me when im down here but if hes upstairs in the livingroom on his bed sleeping im not going to wake him to come down with me.
Thnx anyways

I don't know how to tell you this but this is NOT your rottweiler/pitbull mix. This is a very different dog who has presumably not had any training what-so-ever.

If you can not directly supervise this dog then you need to crate it. It is beyond obvious that you can not give this dog free run of the house at this point.

If you are unwilling to strictly supervise or confine this dog then you might as well return it to the shelter. Maybe it will find a home with someone who understands the time and patience that goes into training a dog with issues.

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I have a few comments. If your dog was abused, then you have to be careful with how you reprimand him. If you raise your voice, it could send the dog backwards. I'm sure you can do searches on here for training abused dogs.

As for the chewing, it's probably boredom or separation anxiety. For a ten month old collie/husky mix, one hour of playtime in the yard is definitely not enough. Huskies are a working breed and need to spend that energy. They probably need a good 3-4 hours of playtime a day. If there is a lot of chewing when you aren't there, have you considered crate training? In the past I was never a big advocate of it, but with my current dog, we HAD to crate her for a good six months before we could trust her to the run of the house. She's fine now, but when she was younger she chewed everything.

Thanks for the advice, generally we jog in the AM and walk in the PM... and once a week I take him out to a location where there is no one so he can run free... I prob should play with him a little longer.... Also, we dont have a problem with him when were gone ANYMORE...(separation anxiety was BAD at first) but the problem tends to be during the day when im either cleaning or at night while were sleeping so weve discussed putting him in the crate at night, he generally sleeps under the stairs tho. (He was crate trained before we got him)
It is hard because he was abused, alot harder than any other dog ive owned... its pretty much trial and error
Just a side note.... you let yoru dog free run of the house.... Im glad im not the only one.....
Anyways thanks for your advice and positive comments I appreciate them

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I don't know how to tell you this but this is NOT your rottweiler/pitbull mix. This is a very different dog who has presumably not had any training what-so-ever.

If you can not directly supervise this dog then you need to crate it. It is beyond obvious that you can not give this dog free run of the house at this point.

If you are unwilling to strictly supervise or confine this dog then you might as well return it to the shelter. Maybe it will find a home with someone who understands the time and patience that goes into training a dog with issues.

Ok so Im a bad owner because i refuse to have my dog up my ass all day long?????
Dog you put your kids in a crate.. would you lock up your destructive teenager
IAM NOT a bad owner... he was abused in the shelter he was in... obviously he isnt any better going back there

White Wolf
November 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Rudeness is not tolerated on this board. Thread closed.