Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help for itchy dog

anneh
November 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Last month I adopted a 10mo neut lab/shep/?. He is such a sweet boy but he does alot of biting/nibbling/licking of his rump/tail/hind legs/inside thighs. No hair missing or sore spots. No sign of anything there. Had him examined by vet for fleas/worms/anal glands/mites. I switched him to a homemade diet of fresh turkey/zuccinni at one meal and steamed white fish/pumpkin at another meal. His prior diet (kibble) included lamb/chicken/grains so avoiding those. I added salmon oil capsules/borage oil/vitamin b/c/e. I have been swabbing the areas before bedtime with herbal teas like calendula/plantain/etc with some aloe. He does not do it all the time and I think I may see some improvement but first thing in the morning he really goes at it which is very annoying:evil: I have looked up homeopathic remedies and mezereum seems to fit at least in Don Hamilton's book as the dog also received a 7in1 vaccination in May:eek: I would appreciate any help. He is a happy boy, sweet natured, a little shy in new surroundings but thats because he was never saw new things. He is a fast learner and so loving. Thanks
anneh

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Um... You pretty well did everything (and more) that I would have suggested... The only thing left would be maybe environmental allergies...:shrug: Oh and maybe a blood panel to be sure all the hormones are working properly.

ByronsMum
November 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
WOW!! I am impressed!

I agree with Prin in that it could also be environmental allergies. Maybe your puppy is allergic to the fabric detergent/softener you use on his blankie...

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
If he was having an allergic reaction to the food it may take a little longer than a month for his skin to repair. Sounds like you are doing a great job trying to help him. I would watch out for the homemade diet in the long term as there are some additional supplements that might be needed (calcium source, veggie variety etc - Food guru's in this forum could help you better with this). Also, if you could say what the prior kibble was and also where you live (for selection) we might be able to help a bit more.

My yellow lab had horrible skin allergies and about 8 years ago I switched her to raw food which cleared everything up. I did recently try her on some Timberwolf Organic (Ocean Blue, Wilderness Elk) products and they do not seem to bother her.

Good Luck