Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Was Mortified

Lukka'sma
November 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I took Lukka to the off leash park today which is something I rarely do. She is only nine months and wants to play but her size makes it tough because she overpowers the other dogs and I don't want them getting hurt. Anyway she was running towards a dog and suddenly turned to the man standing on her left and out of the blue jumped up on him. She knows better than to jump on people and I don't know what possessed her to do so but it was totaly uncalled for. She wasn't being aggressive or anything and did a bunch of play bows around him and his dog. The problem was this poor fellow went flying backwards and rolled down the incline. Like I said, I was mortified, embarrassed, apologetic (you get the picture). He said he was fine and didn't get hurt however I wouldn't have blamed him in the least if he had torn a strip off me and my dog. Needless-to-say I was very dissappointed in Lukka and her play date was cut short. Never again will I take her there!!!!!!!!

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
It seems like she must have gotten over excited, lol. I guess she really wanted to play and was overwhelmed by everything around her so her manners flew out the window:D

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I second that,she is still young, maybe wait a bit for her to mature :D and then try again ?

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I don't think you should ban Lukka from the dog park....it's a great place to get your dog socialized and exercised without you getting too tired.

Try taking her there and keeping her on her leash (if you have a retractable one that's even better) that way you can maintain some control over her. Walk her around a little bit to let her explore and meet other people and dogs. Once she's over the intial excitement, try taking her off the leash and see if she behaves better.

Plus, whenever I go to the dog park, I wear a pair of old jeans and a sweatshirt. I don't wear nice/clean/brand new clothes, I know there are bound to a few dogs who will jump on me to say hi. It just happens. Most people don't mind.

skeetsh00ter
November 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
don't let that one accident keep you from going back. Everyone that takes their dogs to an off leash park knows (or should know) that they run the risk of being jumped on. At the park i go to, there is a boxer who just loves to jump on people, nobody gets upset (well, maybe a little, but not angry) at the owner, they just learn to get ready to dodge him next time.

Lukka'sma
November 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I just don't want to cause any hard feeling at the dog park by having Lukka jump on people. Maybe keeping her on leash for a while is the best solution and I will pick my times very carefully, maybe early when only a few people and dogs are there.

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I just don't want to cause any hard feeling at the dog park

Go to a different park every week ;)

Dogastrophe
November 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I've been at the park and have had other people's dogs either jump on me or run into me so hard that they've taken the legs out from under me (which requires a very hard hit given my size). Never once did I think ill of the dog or the owner - if it happened when I was mowing my lawn I might get a bit upset but at the park, with all the excitment of new dogs, new smellls, etc, it can and will occur. It is a risk that humans need to be prepared for. Don't let this incident prevent you from taking her to the park for a run.

Lukka'sma
November 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Go to a different park every week
Today 12:50 PM
I wish it was that simple Frenchy. We only have two off leash parks where I live. I have never been to the second one and have been told that it is not completely fenced. I would never risk taking Lukka there, she doens't go off leash in any area that I could not retrieve her from.

phoenix
November 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I don't think you should ban Lukka from the dog park....it's a great place to get your dog socialized and exercised without you getting too tired.

Try taking her there and keeping her on her leash (if you have a retractable one that's even better) that way you can maintain some control over her. Walk her around a little bit to let her explore and meet other people and dogs. Once she's over the intial excitement, try taking her off the leash and see if she behaves better.

Plus, whenever I go to the dog park, I wear a pair of old jeans and a sweatshirt. I don't wear nice/clean/brand new clothes, I know there are bound to a few dogs who will jump on me to say hi. It just happens. Most people don't mind.

I agree and disagree with this...
First, I completely agree that you should keep going. It is wonderful for the dogs. People expect to be jumped on, etc, just work with her on recall and if you see her doing something you don't like, hold on to her for a little while and give her a 'time out'. What people get annoyed with is when dogs misbehave and the owner doesn't do anything about it.

Second, I completely DISAGREE with keeping Lukka on leash. This can cause aggression. I have seen too many dog fights due to one dog on leash and a bunch off... the one on the leash feels he can't "flight" so the only choice is "fight".

Good luck! As she gets used to the place, lukka will get better at it!

amyk
November 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
i get jumped on, drooled on by other dogs at the dog park. it doesnt bother me. that's what i expect to happen there.

my biggest vent about the dog park is all the little kids running around :yuck:
my dog isnt used to kids running around and it makes me and him nervous. there's probably like 50 'kid parks' in the area. why cant the kids go to a different park???

~Amy

Golden Girls
November 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Plus, whenever I go to the dog park, I wear a pair of old jeans and a sweatshirt. I don't wear nice/clean/brand new clothes, I know there are bound to a few dogs who will jump on me to say hi. It just happens. Most people don't mind.I have to agree - most people who take their dogs out are wearing dog clothes. I understand you might be embarassed a little but an apology usually covers it. Lukka's just a pup she'll mature in time. I'd still take her even more so because she's a baby still and will learn bounderies before you know it. It's just so exciting to them :)

Lukka'sma
November 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I guess I should also ask the members if I should only resume taking Lukka to the off leash park when she is completely trained at recall. I noticed the other dogs stayed with their owners for the most part but Lukka doesn't even look around to see if I am in sight and I don't know if off leash parks have an unwritten rule that dogs need to be recall trained before entering

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying. When you go to a dog park you shouldn't expect all dogs to have perfect manners and behave in all that excitement.

I expect to be jumped on, etc when I go and I dress for the occasion. If I get knocked down, I laugh and get back up. The only time I feel anger towards a pet owner is when aggression is being displayed and they laugh at it, etc.
So when Lukka did this as a play behaviour, it is perfectly natural.

I also don;t like it when little kids are in the dog park. The last time Hunter went there was a little girl there about 9 or 10, and she would run up to the dogs and turn and run away. So all the dogs thought it was a game and decided to give chase. When the girl stopped, she started crying because she was afraid of dogs, apparently, and the mother tried to get mad at me and a couple fellow dog owners for "allowing our dogs to run after her little girl". That is the behaviour I don't like to see in a dog park.

As for a dog, no matter the size, jumping up and playing, the more the merrier, lol:D

Golden Girls
November 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I guess I should also ask the members if I should only resume taking Lukka to the off leash park when she is completely trained at recall. I noticed the other dogs stayed with their owners for the most part but Lukka doesn't even look around to see if I am in sight and I don't know if off leash parks have an unwritten rule that dogs need to be recall trained before enteringIt's not a school it's a park. This is probably the only place your dog can be completely goofy and you don't have to worry other then if dogs don't get along. I wouldnt worry too much nor would I ask the members - as far as I know it's a public place where you just hope the members are as responsible as you are.

I'm always getting jumped on and knocked down ... I think they can smell who's who :highfive:

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I get jumped on by super excited, badly behaved dogs at the park all the time... (no offense :D) If you go to a dog park, you have to expect to get dirty, slobbered on, jumped on and bruised a little bit. It's a DOG PARK. It's like going to play football in a suit. :rolleyes:

But I agree with Phoenix. Leashed dogs tend to be MORE aggressive than off leash dogs, especially in the presence of off leash dogs. (i.e. never leash a dog in a dog park)

amyk
November 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM
are there any dog parks with a 'no-kids allowed' ban? that'd be nice. there should be a sign that says "four-legged kids ONLY!" it's not fair imo. bubba only gets 2 or so hours at the dog park per month, and most of the time there are kids running around screaming (playing touch-tag or whatever). so i end up putting bubba on the leash until the kids leave. but sometimes they stay for a long time, and we have to head home before they leave :mad:.

~Amy

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM
At my old park, kids under 12 without parents are "not recommended". Whenever kids were running around alone like that, I'd go up and say, "You know, if you run around fast with your arms in the air like that, my dog will follow you, tackle you to the ground and rip your arms off." :evil:

They usually left after that. :D

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Been there, been embarassed (Riley jumped at some lady in a walker yesterday - although she was the one who was waving the treat around up in the air). Besides the guy sounds like he was a klutz :D .

One thing I have been working on with Riley is getting him to practice some self-control (hard with puppies). The trainer suggests that I let him play for a bit then go and get him and put him on the leash for a few minutes, distract, give cookies etc to calm him down and then let him go back and play. This way they learn that being put on the leash doesn't always mean that the fun stuff is over.

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
haha that's funny and possibly a great way to get a kid not to run.

I never noticed much aggresion in my dog on a leash at the park but I have noticed other dogs who have been....

scratch the leashind idea...that was a bad one. oops!

I like the idea of putting your dog in a time out. :thumbs up

When I first went to the park and my dog was not fully reinforced on the come command....I would bring small treats with me and a way to entice her a little more. Worked every time.

Some ppl dont like to use too many treats but my dog is a treat monster.

Golden Girls
November 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Been there, been embarassed (Riley jumped at some lady in a walker yesterday - although she was the one who was waving the treat around up in the air)I'm sorry but LMFHO <-- F=freagin :angel:

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
He started off sitting nicely asking for the treat but when she wasn't fast enough (waving around over his head) he jumped for it. Luckily he just got a few muddy foot prints on her and didn't really connect to bad. I was very embarrassed - Riley definately got a time out for that. :o

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM
lol the best is when you get "tag teamed". Once Jemma was standing behind my knees and Boo pushed me backward so I rolled over Jemma and ended up flat on my back.:D

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
And I'm sure that looked at you like you were a klutz! Those doggie halos are a little off center sometimes. :D

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, and I'm sure it was an accident on their part too.:rolleyes:

angeldogs
November 15th, 2006, 03:54 AM
My first time to the dog park.Jag took some lady down from behind her legs.And there was this child there must have been less then 2years of age in a busy park.jag knocked him down with his tail.The kid cried for a bit then picked a flower and gave it to me.

~michelle~
November 15th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Ive been to both dog parks in london and they are both completely fenced in. i dont know what ones you have been to but pottersburg has alot of tall trees and it can be more difficult to see him, and adelaide and windemere its easier to see them (however there is a mud puddle there that i know brax likes to play in) just so you know most dogs i have seen there dont stay too close to their owners for the first 10-15 mins, you just have to follow them abit. i know brax and logan usually run around, but then they will follow or stay really close once the initial excitement wears off. I constantly get slobbered and jumped on and i dont mind a bit ;) i dont wear pretty cloths and heels there though. If you're worried about lukka's size and the smaller dogs, at the one on adelaide there is a specified small dog area that is separately fenced. if there are small dogs there that can roll with the big pups,they can go there. but my 30 lbs spaniel likes to play with the big ones :) hope to see you at the dog parks soon.

SARAH
November 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Our near-by park has aspecial dog-run in one "corner" by the woods, where all the dogs can run around freely. No kids are allowed in on their own (no written rule, it's just the way it is). Dani is happy there and loves to play with other dogs. Only once did we have to drag her out of there, when one dog was getting too agressive with anyone in sight and the owner just stood there smoking and laughing. We went for a brisk walk around the lake instead, with the retractable leash (because of the squirrels, Dani loves to chase them).

All the owners are in the enclosure and stand along the fence talking about... their dog :thumbs up (big surprise) and of course we all get jumped up on by every happy dog in the dog-run!

Outside of the fenced area, dogs are usually kept on a leash but can go free if they are well behaved. How many times have I been to the park without being jumped on? Once in 7 weeks? Maybe ...

So what? A sad dog will not jump and want to play, a happy dog will. Let them jump! At least within reason, like at a dog park.

Lukka'sma
November 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM
~michelle~ is there any specific times of the day that you know of when the Adelaide St. park is the least busy. I would love to take Lukka more frequently but I would like to start off when the fewest number dogs are in the park

~michelle~
November 15th, 2006, 05:42 PM
lukka'sma im not sure about when the adelaide st one and when its busy or not, i go on the weekends so its usually busy but im sure early AM it shouldnt be as busy. we usually go on icky days so its not too too busy, but there are always going to be other dogs there.

tarasmom
November 15th, 2006, 11:21 PM
personally I have never been to a dog park ( yet) mind you if I was to go it would most definitely be my expectationt that I would be over run by dogs, hell to expect anything otherwise would be like coming to my house and not be over run by children asking for a dollar( have 4 sons) or having to listen to constant fighing ( ok that scenerio was years ago, they are grown now) but none the less, anyone who came to my house knew we had kids and expected it, if you didnt like it, the door rotated both ways, see ya bye bye
dog parks are the same, you dont like dogs all over ya, entrance gate swings both ways see ya bye bye

tarasmom
November 15th, 2006, 11:26 PM
my opinion:
do not go to a playground and get mad cause you cant read a book in silence, dont go to a dog park and complain you cant walk without getting jumped on, never let your dog off its leash in a playground and never let your kid off its leash in a dog park DUHHHH
dont go to your friends house who has kids and expect a nice quiet night of wine drinking, dont go to a batchelor pad and expect a night of baking
helllllooooo
its common sense.
sheesh

Rob n Cody
November 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I agree with everyone so far....and want to re-iterate what Phoenix said about lead agression. Cody is fine in an off leash area with other dogs...plays nicely and everything is good....sometimes though, if she meets the same dogs when she's on lead, she can become quite aggressive - I think she's protecting me.
I've been taken out more times than i can count in a doggie park, or on the beach (i'm just a little thing) and it makes me laugh. Just nice to see that they're happy and playing, and sometimes when you're down, you get some nice sloppy kisses while you're down there!! :dog:

~michelle~
November 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
lukka's mom im going to the dog park this afternoon (when its all nice and muddy.... i dont mind giving a couple of baths though.) ill let you know how it was on a thurs around 330- 4 ishif you dont mind your pup getting muddy, i dont since they dont get to go there all the time icky days would probably be the best. or if you dont mind the cold, cold days wouldnt be as bad either..... its the really nice days everyone is out.

Lukka'sma
November 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I saw by your pics on another thread that you and the doggies had loads of fun ~michelle~. I don't mind going on cold days, a winter lover am I, also Lukka is a mountain dog and she will love the winter. When there is a nip in the air Lukka comes alive. Hope to see you there

Lukka'sma
November 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM
[ and sometimes when you're down, you get some nice sloppy kisses while you're down there!! :dog:[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with that Rob n Cody, I like the way you think.