Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs Getting Fixed!

brandynva
November 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Ok, so today is the big day, finally. Our dogs are off to get fixed so we can't have little mini Roscoe's and Mileva's running around. :thumbs up Just a couple of questions:

What can I expect the first couple of days? I know that there will be some pain. Any suggestions on how to keep them quiet and calm and how long do I have to do that for? What about pain? I'm sure there is pain involved, especially for the female. How long does the pain linger? I'm really new at this. I can't wait to baby them though. We pick them up at 2:30est. On a side note, it sure was fun explaining to my 8 and 10 year old what fixing means. :eek:

erykah1310
November 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I didnt know they were broken:eek:

that was corny I know...lol

Well I hope you opted for laser surgery, that is all i have experience with.
I know for Nikita she was her usual self about 3 days later. ( except they removed her brain during the surgery I think)

Its hard to keep them calm and quiet, but pee breaks and stuff should be on leash and preferably a short one.

Glad to hear they are being "fixed" its a great feeling to know that in no way your dogs are ever going to be adding to the "problem"...

:thumbs up

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Well, mine and fosters were ok the minute they came back home. The thing is to get them to be calm :D :yell: :frustrated: GOOD LUCK :p kidding (or not :rolleyes: ) when you put the cone on them they usually don't get too excited!

brandynva
November 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have never heard of laser surgery before! As we are taking them to a low cost spay/neuter place I doubt that's one of the options. I guess my greatest fear is tearing the stitches open, especially on our super hyper GSD. The leash will be our best friend for sure the next few days... Another question, does altering your pet change their behavior? ie.. make them calmer etc...

erykah1310
November 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I didnt find with Kita her behavior changed negativly, she was a very very mellow pup, who just kinda went with the flow, totally not what would be expected from a Rottie/Boxer mix, after her spay though, you could tell she felt great! She was more active, more energetic and turned into a big goof!

Shes the only one that the surgery did anything different to, the others all remained the same. But I have to say Mr.Floyd too acts more like a kitten again. He runs and plays more now. I guess its a great relief to not have biology telling them that they must mate NOW!

I prefer altered pets to non altered ones, not just for the obvious reasons like overpopulation and so on. But more for the fact that they seem so happy and not stressed.

There is so many reasons why speutering is good!

Golden Girls
November 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I doubt you'll have to worry the 1st day as their too groggy and will sleep. They might throw up today but other then that mine acted like nothing at all. I bought this spray from the vet to help the healing and itch but refused that cone thing ... that's just horrible. I just had to watch them carefully though as they can lick too much and cause an infection (then you'd have to choice but to put on that cone :shrug: )

Hope all goes well :fingerscr

brandynva
November 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I didn't even THINK about licking, and I have one that is an obsessive licker if he has the least little spot. I'll have to watch it.

As far as attitude, it will be so nice, since I have both male and female, not to worry about mating. Fortunately my male hasn't started the habit of humping. We don't let them run loose either. Anyway, I'll let ya'll know how things are when we get back home with them!

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Good luck! Hope everything goes well. :fingerscr

brandynva
November 14th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Well, they are home and awfully puny. Mileva is especially puny. She just wants to lean on someone and be petted on her ears. Right now she is downstairs on our bed konked out. She is one that has to be in the same room with me or her daddy and for her to be by herself is unusual. But it's quiet and dark and cool down there so she is probably happy. Roscoe is a little droopy but is following me around the house and aroooooing at his reflection in the front door. I may have pictures of some puny pets soon. Maybe this is a good time to stick a hat on them and get in on the november photo contest thingy thread. :evil:

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
omg poor doggies! :D:D:D

Glad they're ok though.

H.P.
November 14th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Glad to hear that they are home! Groggy would be a normal side effect of the anastisia. As far as pulling out the stitches, my Kayla (:rip: ) did that. She had three stitches, pulled one out the day after her surgery, I called the vet, they said not to worry as long as it wasn't oozing or bleeding, but that I could bring her in to be checked if I wanted to, it looked ok to me, so I did not. The next morning, she had pulled out another one, still no ozing or bleeding, but I took her straight to the vet anyway, she was fine. That afternoon, she pulled out her last stitch, we went back to the vet, she was fine. They explained that the stitches that we see just hold the outside skin together, there are also a couple of layers of interior stitches. If anything happens though, don't hesitate to take them into be checked, the worst they can do is tell you that you are an over protective mom (that is what they told me), it is not a bad thing and much better than not going if there is a something wrong.

HP

OntarioGreys
November 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM
The male is going to recover and heal a lot faster and may be ready for horse play in a couple of days the female shound be kept quiet for 10 days even though she may want to play around as well so you may need to keep them seperated, keeping her in a smaller room with babygate may be your best solution and leash walks

brandynva
November 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
"The male is going to recover and heal a lot faster and may be ready for horse play in a couple of days the female shound be kept quiet for 10 days even though she may want to play around as well so you may need to keep them seperated, keeping her in a smaller room with babygate may be your best solution and leash walks"

Hello all! Just thought I'd post a quick update. Roscoe was certainly more perky after a few hours of sleep. The next morning he was a little stumbly, but by evening wanted to play. Mileva just slept and slept and today is finally showing some sign of normalcy. We are definetly keeping her quiet and calm as she tends to be hyper anyway. This is difficult as I'm sure you can imagine! Their incisions look great though, nice and pink and healthy. No sign of bleeding or oozing and they are ignoring them for the most part! :D We didn't get a good picture of Mileva all groggy, but here is one of Roscoe. Thanks for all the advice and support!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/brandynva/IMG_0368.jpg

Prin
November 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
tee hee hee... looking so sappy.. He needs another cookie!! Oh wait... He's not allowed anymore... Ok.. How 'bout a big kiss on the jowlies then?

brandynva
November 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Oh believe me, he has had his share of cookies looking all sad and pitiful like. :sad: He conned one out of me after his last walk of the night tonight! He also had some chicken last night too poor baby. He liked it and was looking for more tonight. lol