Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Coccidia How do I get rid of it

heidi elkinton
November 14th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I have been fighting coccidia in our moms and puppies for a long time. I bleach everything but just recently found out the bleach does not kill it. Amonia and heat do. Does anyone know how hot it needs to be. We are looking for a vapor steam cleaner but am having a hard time finding a reasonably priced one. Any suggestions? Heidi

Lise
November 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Take your dogs to your vet.They need to be treated.Coccidia is common in dogs and usually only causes major health issues in young puppies or dogs under stress.I would speak to your vet when you take the dogs in and use whatever they suggest.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 14th, 2006, 11:05 AM
The only person who can treat coccidia in your dogs is your vet.
It's easily treatable and there's no reason it should be recurring like that unless you haven't treated them in the first place.

My puppy had coccidia when we first got her and after treatment it was gone, the vet never said anything about bleaching items or heavily cleaning and sanitizing our house and it hasn't come back. It's not a serious thing unless left untreated.

Rob n Cody
November 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Coccidia?

MyBirdIsEvil
November 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
For Rob n Cody:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

As mentioned on the site, coccidia is killed off by your dogs immune system, not by the treatment. The treatment only helps the dogs immune system fight off the coccidia by stopping reproduction, so though it's a good idea to keep everything in your house clean the only thing that can kill the infection is the dogs immune system. A dog shouldn't repeatedly become reinfected unless they were never treated or they're otherwise sick causing their immune system to work insufficiently.

(To elaborate: When I say reinfected I mean to the point where the dog shows symptoms. Coccidia may be present in small numbers but your dogs own immune system should take care of that as long as they're healthy)

heidi elkinton
November 14th, 2006, 12:11 PM
For Rob n Cody:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_coccidia.html

As mentioned on the site, coccidia is killed off by your dogs immune system, not by the treatment. The treatment only helps the dogs immune system fight off the coccidia by stopping reproduction, so though it's a good idea to keep everything in your house clean the only thing that can kill the infection is the dogs immune system. A dog shouldn't repeatedly become reinfected unless they were never treated or they're otherwise sick causing their immune system to work insufficiently.

(To elaborate: When I say reinfected I mean to the point where the dog shows symptoms. Coccidia may be present in small numbers but your dogs own immune system should take care of that as long as they're healthy)

I hope I am answering properly. I am using the quote option. It is only reinfection my puppies, since i breed i have lots of puppies, and for some reason mom had it. She is better and yes I did take them to the vet. I know how to treat it and buy albon and mix it myself from revival. I am just trying to figure out how to stop it from happening again. Part of the problem was the ground the pupies were on. We graveled it with a layer of chain link on the bottom soe they can't dig down. The puppies were eating the dirt. But this time mom got coccidia and passed it to her two week puppies. All are fine now. I did take moms stool to the vet and she did test positive for coccidia. She does eat deer droppings so I wonder if that is the problem. Thanks for all the help. Heidi

Rob n Cody
November 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Never hurts to know too much!
R :thumbs up

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I guess for the sake of the puppies, you should stop breeding.

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with Prin. That would take care of the problem for sure:thumbs up

heidi elkinton
November 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
hey, I breed top quality golden retrievers and also it is my home business. No one can get me to stop breeding. I was hoping for some good advice. I also have seven children and one is diabetic so we really do need the income but i do want healthy dogs. I feed eagle pack and have extemely happy customers. I guess i will go elsewhere for advice. Heidi

Pike
November 14th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Full board rules can be found in the following forum:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=36&a=12
However please note this excerpt:
Most people on this forum are VERY pro spay/neuter, and are against backyard breeding.

The OP's original question has been answered, thread closed