Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skin Tags again???

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I posted this topic before, awhile back, and not many people knew what I was talking about, so I don't think that this is very common...

Hunter had a skin tag back then, and it went away a day after I found it. So nothing was odne about it, and it never did bother him.

Yesterday I was petting him on his hip, and found a bump, and when I touched it, he tensed and moved around towards my hand. I looked at it, and it seems to be 2 skin tags, and it seems like it is bothering him somewhat.
I am bringing him to the vet on Saturday, but wanted to know in the meatime if anyone has had any experiences with this sort of thing???

jawert1
November 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Yep, I just had 2 removed from Simon - one was black and had actually started to bleed, but wasn't cancerous (yay!), and he had a second normal flesh colored one on the same leg. The vet removed both, and told me that given that he's had them already, he may develop future ones, but to just keep an eye out on him. Simon wound up with 6 stitches total - 4 at the larger bleeding one and 2 at the smaller pinkish one. In and out procedure, though he wasn't happy about his blue cone.

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realize that they could be cancerous...:eek: , and I guess was being naive thinking that stitches weren't going to be needed. I guess Saturday will be a bad day:(

Hunter is such a wimp too, so that makes it even worse. Last winter he cracked a toenail and needed the quick cauterized and he didn't take the procedure very well. He normally loves the vet and gives him lots of kisses, but after that procedure he was very cautious the next few times and it was only after some pleading did he give him a kiss. Like I said he is a wimp, :rolleyes: cutting his nails, cleaning his ears, etc., are all major events in his life, so now I am really nervous...:(

Thanks for the info though, were the 2 that Simon had together, or in seperate areas? The two that Hunter have are completely together. He can't get at the spot himself though, so atleast we will not need to e-collar him, because that would really be a need for anti-depressants, lol (jk)

jawert1
November 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Let me see if I can find a picture of the patient as he convalesced (gives me an excuse to post it too! hehe) The stitches were in his front left leg at the "elbow" joint (facing the camera, under the t-shirt - he was bonking Peaches in the head with the cone, so rather than have her dragging him around by it, I removed it and followed the vet's instructions on dressing him) :p The vet did tell me that melanomas were relatively rare in dogs (unlike humans) with the minor exception of white doggies with pink skin, like my Simon. So I'm to be watchful of any other growths on him, and have them removed when I find them. He didn't react well to the anaesthesia, so I wound up carrying him from the car into our apartment (whole lotta stairs). He was fine the next day and oblivious to the stitches (I was more freaked than he was).

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks jawert1 for the info.

Hunter's is on his hip, about 2-3 cms or so from the base of the tail.
When it is bothering him, he tries his hardest to get at it (he is a major licker), but he can't reach.

Like I said, he had one before, but it went away on its own. So I guess that this will be a recurring thing for him. I have read about them, but there isn't too much info out there. But I did read that if a dog gets one they are likely to reoccur.

Hopefully I won't need to carry Hunter, because that would be next to impossible, lol.

jawert1
November 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I was kind of surprised, since Simon's were close together on the elbow, that he never fussed with them and the only thing that clued me off was the blood on his leg (he and Peach were wrestling - no teethies but it still got rough). Unless the vet insists on doing the removal while he's awake (which goodness I hope not), he shouldn't remember a thing, but may be slightly annoyed with you once it's all said and done. Simon hasn't had any lasting negative effects, but then he's sorta not right in a cute and clueless way. I hope Hunter comes through ok, tons of cookies and kisses afterwards should help him forget :) Keep me posted, I'm curious to see what other procedures are out there and done for this sort of thing, since I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be dealing with it in the future.

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah I don't think the vet will insist on doing it while he is awake...especially since he knows how big of a wimp Hunter is, lol. I am thinking now that he will have to go back and get it done the next week. I will be very surprised if they will be able to do it the same day...But I really hope so. :fingerscr Just as well to get it over with.

I am sure Hunter will come through it fine, he came through his surgery when he was neutered okay. It was definetly harder on me than him, lol, and I am sure that he will be annoyed with us:rolleyes: that you can always be sure of, lol

I will keep you posted, thanks again.

jawert1
November 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Just a side note, if you take him in on an empty stomach and they have availability to do the excisement right then, go for it. I had given Simon breakfast, so he had to wait for a few hours until they could put him under. It only took them 25 minutes for the procedure and another 3 hours till they were comfy sending him home, so he was there while I was at work. I know the next time, I'll just not feed him so it's quicker and he can be home resting rather than at the vets.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Good luck! :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Prin.
Now I have to count down the days to Saturday. It feels like it is a doctor appointment for me, not Hunter, lol.:rolleyes: