Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

does anyone else have to deal with this?!?!

~michelle~
November 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM
ok so Braxton and Aiden are attention sucks..... they have no credentials for who they get their attention from so long as they have at least one arm to pet them with. When i am out walking them they try to pull towards everone and stick their noses under their hands looking for a pat. so i am tring to curb this behaviour because its rude and not everyone loves dogs (crazy people). so i ask several people not to pet the dogs when we are walking, especially the people who without even asking bend down and do a high pitched voice and get them all worked up (if people ask me i usually tell the dogs to sit and then they can get some attention). so there have been a few occassions where I'd ask that they please dont pet the dogs. (sometimes ill tell them because i am training, but i think that much like pets of i told someone not to touch my child they should listen and i dont have to give them a reason) and people call me a bitch and tell me to F-Off,.... or they try and pet the dogs anyways!!!!! this can be especially alarming because I just got Aiden a few days ago and i cannot gaurentee his reation to some people (although so far he has bee friendly to all, i have not yet let small children pet him but when they get close he doesnt seem to mind, but i prefer his introduction to children to be in a more controlled environment with people i know, and kids who have and respect dogs) so thats just my little rant about stupid people does anyone have some advice on how to deal with the rude people? i know they just want to pet the dogs and be fiendly, but this is for the dogs safety that they dont get pets from people unless mom approves

SunGurl372
November 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM
All the time. Harley is people crazy. If I take her for a walk and she spots someone, she starts whining just a bit since she wants to "go visit" but can't. What's worse is that although she's got great manners most times, for whatever reason she gets so worked up when she meets someone new, she tries to jump right up on them. Of course, I immediately correct her. This behavior has never been acceptable in my house, I'm most certainly not going to let her do it to some hapless stranger.

Guess what I get back from the person in most cases???? "No, no, it's alright."

WTF??? No, its not alright!!! And not only because its just plain rude to have your dog jumping all over people, but because its my dog and that behavior just doesn't fly with me.

Drives me crazy. I get that sometimes from people regarding my son, when he's acting like a spaz and I try to correct him. All too often people are like.... it's okay, don't worry about it, he's just being a kid, etc. Umm, I'm the mom, remember??? Stick your nose out! (Said in as nice a way as possible!)

Okay, rant done.....

HunterXHunter
November 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I totally agree. It's more or less the same with Hunter. He's always wanting to meet new people but can get over-excited at times and jump on people and I pull him back and tell him "No", but person who gets jumped on usually says something along the lines of "Oh, it's ok, he's still a puppy". Grrrrr :frustrated: they don't get it...it doesn't matter whether they're a puppy or not, it's just not polite. :yell:

pitgrrl
November 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Well, I think some people are just rude, and short of strapping them down and giving them a lesson in etiquette, there's not much to be done about it.

That said, maybe you could enlist people in helping you train, and by doing so trick them into keeping their hands off your dogs. :evil:
You could say, 'oh, I'm training them right now, could you help me for a minute? Here, take this cookie and only give it to them if they're sitting nicely'.

I've also known people to put headphones on and stick the cord in their pocket, so it appears that they're listening to music. Apparently it keeps people at bay.

jessi76
November 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
my dog avoids strangers like the plague. people TRY to bend down to see him, TRY to pat him, TRY to get him excited, and he doesn't go for any of it. he steps away, just out of reach, and looks at them like "how DARE you try to touch me!". THEN people make snide remarks that he's un-friendly. whatever. he's not unfriendly, he's smart & cautious, just like his mum. I don't let total strangers walk up and touch me either.

one thing though that really keeps people from attempting to interact w/ my dog is the head harness. for some reason, lots of people think it's a muzzle and just avoid interaction.

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't say "don't pet my dog". That's a direct attack. I'd say, "You can pet him, sure, but he gets very bitey so watch out."

HunterXHunter
November 14th, 2006, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't say "don't pet my dog". That's a direct attack. I'd say, "You can pet him, sure, but he gets very bitey so watch out."

or how about: "Sure go ahead. I just fed him so it should be fine." :p