Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello Everyone!

KittyMom2006
November 14th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Hello! So glad to discover this discussion board about cats and dogs. I have one cat named Kitty. She has given birth to four kittens but my significant other took all four to a shelter. It happened six months ago but Kitty seems to not have forgotten those babies; she's up all night going around the house, meowing. Tonight she was loud, really loud. Not sure what's going on with her. Am I right in my thinking that Kitty's still looking for her four kittens? Another issue, she's been going back and forth her litter box, sits there for a while but does nothing. Could this be a medical concern? Would appreciate anybody's response.

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
The litter box could definately be a medical issue. It is often a sign of urinary crystals or inflamation which is a very serious problem. Take the cat to the vet ASAP.

I also hope that you are being a responsible owner and having her spayed to prevent any more poor unwanted kittens being sent to a shelter.

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I agree with Teri. It sounds like she has a urinary infection or crystals. Please take her to the vet asap as she will need antibiotics. Also, while you are there please make an appointment to have her spayed as there are enough of unwanted kittens in the shelters.

Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr

KittyMom2006
November 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
To you both, for your prompt response, thank you so much. I did my research a few minutes ago and learned that my Kitty's symptoms are related to urinary tract infection ... you are so, so right. We will be at the Vet tomorrow. I need to "twist" my husband's arms for the spay, since he's the breadwinner, and I will do it.

erykah1310
November 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
the constant meowing probly has more to do with her being in heat ... Cats are "always" in heat. ( or so it seems)
Im glad that you are going to get her spayed, there are long term health benefits to having this done.

Good luck at the vets!

chico2
November 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM
I was thinking the same as Erykah,she's in heat again:sad: for her and your sake and the thousand of kitties in shelters,have her spayed ASAP!

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 07:10 AM
First of all I would like to say " Hello and welcome". Secondly, I agree with Erykah about your cat probably being in heat and that is why she is constantly meowing. I also agree that you should have her spayed. She obviously gets to go outside if she had gotten pregnant already. If you don't have her spayed....she will come home all the time "prego" and there are enough kittens/cats out there who don't have a home. Although a lot of shelters will tell you they don't do it.........most of them will euthanize any animals that go unclaimed or haven't been adopted out for a long period of time. It just gets to be too expensive to have them hanging around for months on end. I don't know about where you live but some shelters will charge you for each animal you bring into them. It's not a large fee but it helps to cover their expenses. If your bringing in a litter of 4-5 kittens every 6 months or so......it can add up on your part. It is cheaper and more responsible to have your pets spayed/neutered in the long run. That is unless, of course, you are a breeder. I know in my area we have a "Friends of Animals" which will help with the cost of spaying/neutering. You can simply call them and for a fee which is probably about 1/3 the cost of the operation........they will send you a voucher which you can take to your local vet to have the procedure done. When I had my cat.......it cost me $35.00 for the procedure which at that time probably cost close to $100.00 or more. You'll be doing yourself and your cat a huge justice.

Lotsa luck with your new family addition and I truly hope you can talk hubby into having the procedure.

Patty