Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can a Person who's cat has fleas bring them to my house??

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys, Im new here..... And wasnt sure where else to post this so I hope im in the right spot!!
Anyways My friend has 4 cats and think that they may have fleas, she is at my house quite frequently. I would like to know what the chances are of her bringing the fleas to my house and onto my dog...?? I dont think that they will be able to survive outside in the cold but I dont want to assume anything fleas are a HORRIBLE problem and I would hate to have to deal with it... SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!
Thnx Erika

Maya
November 14th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Hi, My guess is the chance would be good if an egg or flea makes it to your house via clothing. Fairly good odds if she were to put on a coat that one of the cat's had been sleeping on I imagine.:p When cat's have fleas they tend to do LOTS of scratching and turn around really fast to bite or scratch like ouch something just bit me. If she has fleas at her house she needs to get rid of them properly which is something that needs to be done with the help of a vet.

Some interesting facts and information about the survival of fleas in the different stages of the cycle here:
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol3num2/fleas/fleas.html

pug lover
November 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
have to agree with maya fleas can travel

jiorji
November 14th, 2006, 09:15 AM
of course they can. Fleas can live up to 9 months on clothing or rugs or whatever. You could pick up fleas just by being in contact with someone on the subway who has fleas at home.

Eek46
November 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I knew deep down it was possible, Im in denial.... Just got my dog 3 mnths ago from a pound and had a small flea scare(ended up being a nervous scratch) and went nuts with flea bath and collar and im a total clean freak... so it was rough
Im wondering if i just sprinkle flea powder around and sweep my floors after she leaves i would b ok (fortunately I dont have carpets)
Thnks guys i appreciate the help!!!

wdawson
November 14th, 2006, 06:14 PM
talk to your vet about a monthly flea prevention program........there are pill form or liquid. around $60-100. depending on the dogs weight.

PetFriendly
November 14th, 2006, 08:23 PM
We had a flea issue last winter... We use Revolution, and research and a few calls to the vets' office revealed that three months worth of treatments will not only ge tthe fleas off your animal but will pretty much remove them (read kill them) from your house too

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I've been reading up a lot on the topic of fleas and a scary thought is that a flea can live up to 2 years in it's cocoon stage. They will only emerge when they sense the presence of a host. That means if you decide to pack your family up a move away for 2 years without addressing the flea problem before you leave.......your dog/cat has a good chance of being re-infected upon your return 2 years later. Now is that scary or what?

From what I've read........it is imperative that you address the environment you live in as well as the pet him/herself. Especially places your pet tends to hang around in/on meaning his bedding, the couches (if you let them up there), rugs, etc. From what I've read.....flea eggs very rarely hatch on the host themselves. They tend to fall off the host with any type of movement. Once the do hatch......they will burrow themselves down into the carpet or wherever and feed off the fleas waste by-products that fall along with the eggs. They then build a cocoon around themselves which they can happily live in for up to 2 years as I posted above. Not a pleasant thought!!

Patty

MissPeabody
November 17th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Hi there. My cats have NEVER had fleas. I live in a 3rd floor apartment, my cats never go out, and I'm surrounded by concrete. Since I started working at an animal shelter, my cats have gotten fleas. The only way that could have happened is if they are riding home on my clothes, or I'm tracking eggs in. What's weird is I almost never see fleas at the shelter, as we are very careful about that.
So, my dear Eek46, the answer must be yes, your friends could be bringing fleas over. The good news is that they're easy to get rid of if you nip the problem quickly (the fleas, that is, not your friends).
:cat: :cat: