Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can dogs fly in the winter

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Joey is invited to spend xmas in Vancouver with us - and I am wondering if anyone knows if dogs can fly in the winter or is it too cold in the cargo holder.
The flight would be about 45 minutes or less. :)

hazelrunpack
November 14th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Joey is invited to spend xmas in Vancouver with us - and I am wondering if anyone knows if dogs can fly in the winter or is it too cold in the cargo holder.
The flight would be about 45 minutes or less. :)

I know there are some temperature limitations for flying dogs--both at the high end and the low end. Probably your best bet is to talk to the airline you want to use and see what their guidelines are.

Keep in mind, though, that if the conditions aren't right, they will not fly Joey and you'll have to make other arrangements for him while you're gone. Might be kinda traumatic for both of you!

So is Joey still being the :angel: at the relatives' house? Or are you guys home now?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 14th, 2006, 01:00 AM
We are home now - and Joey was very well behaved - I kept him on the leash for the first night until I was comfortable that he wouldnt pee - but I did take him out way more there than I would at home

I am gonna check with the airlines about flying him - I hate to think of him spending xmas at the kennel - maybe we can drive down again with him :)

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 01:04 AM
They can't fly in the baggage compartment at that time. WestJet will allow small pets in the cabin but I think Joey might be too big. Take a look:

http://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/westjet.cfm

http://www.flyjazz.ca/english/flyingJazz/travelPet.asp

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 14th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yes Joey is too big for that I thought I heard 10 pounds or something for pets in the cabin - oh well maybe hubby will want to drive again - it couldnt be any worse than our trip down there this weekend - meaning the roads not Joey:D

Joey is amazing in the car :D - he is so quiet I made hubby pull over a few times just to check on him. I was like he is there right, you remembered him right - can we stop I just want to make sure he is there :o :)

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 01:59 AM
If Joey is such a good car traveller it would be alot less traumatic for him than going on a plane IMO. With all the crazy weather we've been having lately, who knows....maybe it will be sunny and warm for Xmas. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM
If Joey is such a good car traveller it would be alot less traumatic for him than going on a plane IMO. With all the crazy weather we've been having lately, who knows....maybe it will be sunny and warm for Xmas. :D

Your right but Westjet and Air Canada the two airlines that fly from Kelowna to Vancouver dont fly from Dec 12 to Jan 10 or something like that so they wont take him anyways. :(

Maybe he would fit in my carry on bag - :D (kidding of course)

I dont want to but we may have to make arrangements for Joey to stay here at xmas. :(

SnowDancer
November 14th, 2006, 12:36 PM
It probably depends on the plane types used by Air Canada from Kelown to Vancouver. Many years ago we moved from Ottawa to Calgary - and back to Toronto. Both moves took place in winter - with the return being Jan. 1. We obviously had no choice but to fly the dog and cat - and there were many dogs on the return flight. The plane used was a 747 so I expect the cargo hold was heated - heck I was feeling the temp of the cages when they came out - and they came out fast. Too bad they don't allow pets in the train compartments - they could even have a Mommy and Pet section. The real pain is that even though pets are allowed in the cargo area of a train, the train that runs from Toronto to Ottawa does not have a cargo car - makes no sense. Not that I am going, but husband is and he could take the little "angel".