Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat neck wound

vonnie
February 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
My russian blue cat was adopted from an apartment dweller who is away a lot. the cat started scratching her neck to the point where she had a raw, bleeding wound about the size of a small apple. The wound was treated with bandages etc. by a vet and now that we have her the wound is about the size of a dime and healing slowly. she still tries to lick it and scratches at her neck. what could be the problem?

numberoneaggie
February 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
This sounds like exactly the same problem I'm having with one of my girls, only we're still at the apple-size stage. You can see our messages HERE (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3274).

What did you use to clear her up initially? How bad was the wound, was it all the way through the outer skin? I'm just looking for home remedies or vet remedies that I can get from a vet.

Thanks!

mona_b
February 27th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Also,is she wearing a collar?...It could be irritating her.

Has she been checked for fleas?

numberoneaggie
February 27th, 2004, 03:06 PM
The licking and scratching she's doing now is because the skin is healing and it itches. Same reason kids scratch at scabs. But like Mona said, she does need to be checked for fleas and doesn't need a collar on right now. A cone collar is an idea to keep her from being able to reach the spot until its completely healed and by then the habit my be broken or the itching stopped. Also, if you look at the other messages in that link I sent you before, you will find a collar that someone made to keep a neck sore covered. It was a very good idea.

mona_b
February 27th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I was kind of thinking before it got to that point.....I should have actually said that...My bad.....LOL