Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking mad....

kmjx65
November 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
So...ever since Ebie, my mini eskie went through this vomiting phase ~ 4 weeks ago....she's been barking like crazy every time I pick up her food bowl and while I'm preparing her meal.

I would understand mb 3 weeks ago when she wasn't eating much and was probably extra hungry.....but now her GI is much better ad she's eating regular portions.

The only thing that has changed is her food ~ 1 week ago
I have changed her dry food to a new/higher quality formula which I'm still gradually introducng to her with a mix of the i/d canned food.

...and the fact that she is healthy.

Why is it that she barks likes crazy every time I prepare her food?

I'm thinking she's really excited about her new formula and she really likes it which is great. I've never seen her as excited for food before.

But her barking at 7:30am is not the best thing when I have neighbors. We live in an apt....I'm sure they don't appreciate it very much.
My hope is that once she's over the excitement of new food, she'll stop with the crazy barking.

Is there a positive way of getting her to stop barking now???

I have to admit...I'm became a new dog owner last year. Ebie is only 1 year old and unfortunately we didn't take her to a puppy training class....so she is less disciplined than other dogs. (oops!)

:offtopic: I'm thinking of starting her up on a training class...something for the not so much a puppy kind of deal.

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 01:02 AM
With Riley when he started to bark at us (while preparing his food) I would put his bowl down on counter and walk away. When he stopped I would go back and pick up the bowl. If he barked again then I put the bowl back on the counter and walk away. Only when he did not bark at all did I put the bowl down for him to eat. It only took a few meal times for him to get the idea to sit quietly to get his food (probably better to try this with the evening feeding to begin with).

After he got good about the barking I starting working on the "wait" command where he now has to wait until I tell him it is ok for him to eat.

These are all important tools to teaching the dog that you are the pack leader. You might want to look at the "Nothing In Life Is Free" method of working with your animal to establish yourself as the pack leader.

PS - Never to late for an obedience class :D

jawert1
November 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM
My pointer will bound in place at meal times, while "hoofing" at me - an adorable annoyed noise he makes at me when I'm not moving fast enough or he's irrritated at being told no (akin to a kid stamping their feet). He's always been a voracious eater at mealtimes, partly due to his not so great early years. I do make him sit and stay (in one spot), which has worked with moderate success. Even if he sits and then bounds in place, I consider that a move in the right direction - he used to bolt directly for the dish and wolf it all down so fast he'd throw up almost immediately and trip me in the process. I don't think I'll ever be able to get him to calm down at meal times, but the little steps have helped (and I don't trip over him)

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I'll definitely try not giving her the food until she calms down. Thanks! :)

SnowDancer
November 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I agree with other posters. But bottom line is that Eskies are BARKERS! Actually my Eskie won't bark too much for his food as long as we are fast getting it out, but goes ballistic waiting for Dad to get home to share in a bit of his supper - and will bark continuously for more. He does not do same with me, probably because during his recent required 5 lb. weight loss I ignored him - and for some reason that has stuck. Eskies are most definitely a handful - very stubborn. I am now waiting for the magic turning 3 to happen when he supposedly will turn into a little adult. I am not overly hopeful though as at 2 years and 7 months he is still a puppy. I did meet a beautiful Blue Merle Sheltie the other day - he is now 12 - and very puppyish. Apparently he stopped chewing Cole Haan shoes at age 3 - so maybe there is a light. Hope your pup stops barking - and yes, despite Eskies loving most food, they do get more excited by certain things.