Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dakotah sprained his wrist tonight

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
my poor baby... at the end of our evening walk in the field, he fell in a hole or something and is now hobbling on 3 legs... he can't put any weight on is front right leg at all and is holding his wrist really stiff, licking it... he's still wagging his tail and giving kissies, cold wet nose, but in obvious pain. We gave him two regular aspirin and his mush-dinner, and hubby bandaged the wrist... dakotah is laying down now, he didn't even know how so we had to help him :( anyways. it's quiet bedrest for him for the next few days, but hell for pee-breaks cuz we live on the 3rd floor of an appartment building so that's alot of stairs to negociate - hubby said he'd carry dakotah if he had to and i said yeah and then fall and break both your necks! :eek: so no way. If he's still limping badly in a day or two we'll bring him to the vet. the wrist flexes well, it's not swollen (yet), he just can't put any weight on it. my poor baby! :yell:

meb999
November 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
awww, poor little huney buney :sick: sending some healing vibes :grouphug:

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Same principles as with humans RICE Rest and ICE a towel around an ice pack and apply to the wrist for 20 minutes at a time for several minutes and leash walk for 2 weeks beyond the apparent recovery to prevent re-irritating the injury if it does not improve with 48 hours or gets worse and vet visit with x-rays are inorder

erykah1310
November 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Poor Dakotah :sick: :sad:

Hope he feels better tomorrow :fingerscr :pray:

Hubby sounds like such a sweetheart... to offer such a dangerous thing for Dakotah.... Its the thought that counts.... :angel:

jiorji
November 13th, 2006, 09:42 PM
OH NO!!!:yell: my poor favorite male beanie!(i also have a favorite female beanie). I hope he heals fast.
your hubby's so sweet with the beanies:thumbs up
are you going to have the vet check the paw out TD? I hope it's nothing serious.

my aunt's doggie has a broken paw and he waddles on 3 paws when he walks, so speedy recovery for the Mr. Bean!!:grouphug:

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Poor Dakotah...:(

Two regular aspirin, eh? :eek: The coated ones are better (don't irritate the stomach).

Are you sure nothing is broken? Does he let you palpate the wrist?:o

cpietra16
November 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I hope he feels better in the morning....:(

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Aww, poor beanie boy! First the tooth, now this. :grouphug: for Dakotah! :fingerscr that it's a minor injury.

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM
thanks guys :o my poor boy is such a clutz... but this time it wasn't his fault, it's so dark out there and sometimes it takes one little mouse hole.. sigh. he's in a good mood though, but hobbling around and looking bewildered at it all (we're telling him to lay down and stay quiet but... he wants outside, he wants inside...). He lets us palpate his entire leg from shoulder to foot, we inspected every inch and nothing is broken, he doesn't wince or make any sound (of course), but he's licking his wrist quite a bit and when he stand you can definitely see he holds his right one stiffly, while his left normal one is bent at a normal angle.

OG, i took a bag of frozen veggies from the freezer and will wrap a towel around it and ice his wrist for a while, keep his movements to a minimum for the next two days and if he doesn't improve, it's off to the vets... i'm hoping a good night's rest and the aspirin (recommended by the breeder) will help the pain and swelling, if there is any (nothing visible, but what do i know).

hubby bandaged the wrist but i wasn't sure, so i took it off... wonder if we should wrap it up again. he's out on the balcony eating his second dinner (bone-in pork roast...) so his appetite is fine. hard to see such a big heavy dug thumping around though. :yell: why me!!

thanks guys for letting me rant and have pain for my boy :o

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
No wrapping while he's sleeping (or while you're sleeping). When people sleep, they swell a bit and being wrapped can cut off circulation.:shrug:

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM
ok, that makes sense! so ice the wrist, bandage until we go to bed, then he's on his own until the morning. hope the bean-power settles in! :pray:

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Awww, sorry to hear about Dakotah. :grouphug: I certainly hope he isn't going to follow the "everything happens in threes rule". :eek:

Sending positive thoughts :pray: and fingers crossed for his recovery. :fingerscr

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Uh oh... I know what the #3 is... :eek:

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 10:50 PM
well he's resting now... hubby sat on the floor next to him to keep the two ice-packs wrapped around his wrist for 20 minutes, beanie didn't move at all... he specially liked the bit of mom petting his big melon head :rolleyes: i think the aspirin are kicking in finally (we gave them to him with food earlier).

we'll do the ice-packs again tomorrow morning and hope for the best! dakotah thanks everyone for the well-wishes :dog:

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Uh oh... I know what the #3 is...

:eek: what?! even *I* don't know!

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
You're not even curious as to #3, or am I that predictable.:D

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Oh wait... you are curious.:D

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
LOL! yes you are predictable if i think you mean what you mean :D at least we don't have to worry about that one for today... the bean can relax :D

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
lol yeah, I mean what you think I mean that I mean.:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I have no idea what you mean Prin - poor Dakota I hope he's okay - that is tough living on the third floor with Dakota - he is such a big fur baby :D

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
here is "the patient"... i would post a video of him limping around like a drunk elephant but it's just too sad! :rolleyes:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/P1010004_2-2.jpg

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
aww the poor doooggy...:(

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Aww, poor sweetie. Give him extra hugs from my gang.

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Awww....the poor beanie boy. :grouphug:

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Uh oh... I know what the #3 is... :eek:

Hee hee.....I wasn't even thinking of that when I posted. But that would be a good thing to happen not a bad. ;)

angeldogs
November 14th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Poor Beanie boy.Hope he gets better soon.In the pic he looks like he needs a kiss.

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Yes he is definetly in need of some kisses. Poor thing, I hate when animals are hurt because you can't explain to them what is happening.

I hope Dakotah is feeling better today:fingerscr

chico2
November 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Awww,that"poor little me"face is adorable as usual:love: hope he's better today:fingerscr

OntarioGreys
November 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM
WHat a sweet picture of him !!!!!

I hope all is going well, I know some vets are absolutely against the using of aspirin they have see too many complications from and it is not recommended for young dogs, in the last quote there is a list of symptoms to watch for

#3 does not have anything to do with a neuter does it??????(sorry I don't know if he is neutered already :o ) If it is within the next couple of weeks, to stay on the safe side, move the date, or at least have a clotting test done prior, dogs should not have aspirin with in a week of any surgery or after surgery as it can affect the bloods ability to clot. Because Maya has VWD I can never use aspirin with her

Asprin for Dogs and Cats?
Dr. Peter Kross D.V.M
Aspirin is commonly given to dogs for pain, but there are a few things to keep in mind before doing so. It can be toxic if given in high doses and is poorly tolerated by young dogs since they lack the enzymes necessary to process the aspirin. As with humans, aspirin can easily cause stomach upset in dogs, so be careful if your pet vomits easily.

Dogs are most commonly given aspirin for treatment of arthritis and associated joint pain. It has good anti-inflammatory effects (reduces swelling), some analgesic effects (reduces pain) and antipyretic action (reduces fever), all of which make an achy dog comfortable.

Dogs being treated for heartworm disease and other blood disorders are also given aspirin because it prevents platelet (a blood component) clumping. But, for this same reason, it is dangerous to give a dog aspirin within the week prior to any surgery he may be undergoing, as it can cause excessive bleeding during an operation.

Aspirin becomes toxic at doses of 60 mg./kg. This means that a baby aspirin which is 62.5 mg. would be poisonous for dogs weighing two pounds or less, and an adult aspirin which is 325 mg. would be toxic for a 10-pound dog. To be sure that you are using the aspirin for the right reason and at the right dose, I recommend that you consult your veterinarian first.

The most common symptoms of aspirin toxicity are the gastrointestinal effects such as loss of appetite, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, black stools and lethargy. Aspirin toxicity can lead to ulceration of the stomach or intestine and, in extreme cases, stomach or bowel perforation that causes a severe, life threatening, bacterial infection of the abdomen. Gastric (stomach) and intestinal bleeding may cause bloody vomit and melena (black, tarry stools).

Aspirin stimulates the brain's respiratory center so most dogs will pant excessively, although the dog may also experience extreme mental depression with decreased respirations.

Neurological symptoms may include restlessness, anxiety, depression, incoordination and (rarely) seizures.

Aspirin toxicity can cause acute kidney failure with symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, extreme thirst, and dilute urine. Owners may also notice that the urine is dilute (lighter in color) when the dog urinates. The symptoms of acute kidney failure are almost identical to the gastrointestinal symptoms of aspirin toxicity.

Aspirin interferes with platelets, which are responsible for helping the blood to clot. Disruption of platelet function increases the amount of time it takes the blood to clot after being cut. Spontaneous bleeding may also occur causing pinpoint bruises to appear in the skin and on the gums (petechiae).

Rob n Cody
November 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Poor baby.....Glad to see he's being a good patient though!
Licks from Cody and me:dog:

erykah1310
November 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM
How is Dakotah feeling today???:fingerscr Hope he's improving.

technodoll
November 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM
thanks everyone! OG, the aspirin is only temporary and was given the Green Light by dakotah's breeder for dosage & administration frequency (and only given with a meal). but i appreciate the info, as always! :thumbs up

so this morning he was again hobbling horribly on 3 legs, gave him another 2 regular aspirin, bandaged up his wrist for support and 10 minutes later when it was time for the morning loo break he decided "what pain?" :rolleyes: Hubby had to force him to take the stairs slowly and walking to the car he hardly limped at all and was pulling like usual , but he only got a very short, leashed potty break and that will be all for the next few days. When they came home he hiked up the stairs with no limp at all (warmed muscles i suppose) but back inside, again hobbling but a lot better. amazing what some adrenaline can do eh? we took the bandage off for the day though.

i sprained my ankle a few times and i know it can take weeks to heal. we'll take it slowly... but it looks good, got lots of happy aroos and kissies this morning :highfive:

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Good for Dakotah :thumbs up

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Umm... No offense to your breeder, but what does your vet say about aspirin? Sometimes, people who've had dogs a long time have "methods" that have since been proven to not be the best ones anymore...:o

technodoll
November 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
the vet said it was fine for a dog his size and age :) and to not go over the daily dosage (twice per day is fine) but if no relief of symptoms in two days, to come by for a checkup :thumbs up

curious to see how he is tonight... but no idea if he's sleeping quietly or limping around the house all day though :o

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I have been told aspirin is bad also. When Hunter had panosteitis as a puppy, besides the prescription he was given, the vet said that if it was an ongoing thing, then we could give him buffered aspirin, or bufferin, but never to give aspirin.

I guess if it is given with a lot of food, in a large bredd that it isn't too dangerous, but the risks are still there...

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM
the vet said it was fine for a dog his size and age :) Have you tried asking a different vet? Just kidding.;)

But if it's ongoing, I really do suggest the buffered ones HO is talking about. Especially since you just got Dakotah's belly in order.

technodoll
November 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
well he's not getting a full bottle of aspirin every day, LOL :rolleyes: only two doses to date (one last night, one this morning) both on a full tummy of food, after all he is almost 3 years old now and 120 lbs, i don't think two little regular aspirin will wreak havoc... in fact, they seem to have ease the pain and inflammation :shrug:

i understand the dangers of Tylenol (deadly to dogs!) and not to give aspirin to puppies and younger dogs, and not to smaller breeds - i would never put my boy in any danger, trust me. And my breeder is 150% knowledgeable in these issues, she's closely tied to vets, veterinary universities and keeps up-to-date on treatments, prevention, LOL. (i'm lucky she's one of those few excellent, ethical and educated breeders!). She spends more $$ on health tests, clearances, prevention tests, etc than anyone i've ever heard of :eek: soo... i thank you all for your concern and advice... just needed to let you know i didn't just shove meds down dakotah's throat before checking it all out first ;)

i'll post an update tonight, :fingerscr his limp is better, if not then i may film it so we can all have a good giggle later... after he is cured!

technodoll
November 14th, 2006, 06:33 PM
well i came home from work to one happy bean, had to stop him from jumping like a kangaroo all over me! he's putting weight on his foot and hardly limping at all - even if this morning he was still on 3 legs. he still gets a bandage put on for the potty-break (for joint support) and i instructed hubby that he's to be leashed the entire time, no matter if he seems much better, we need to go slow! so no more painkillers, just rest and good food to help his body heal (we've cut down kibble to about 10% of his diet only, the rest is raw). wow! i can't believe it! :crazy:

jesse's mommy
November 14th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I'm glad to hear your baby bear is doing so well!

Hunter's_owner
November 14th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Excellent news Techno:thumbs up
Thank goodness it wasn't serious

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Reminds me of the time when Lucy hurt herself and I was all worried about her so I sent up my foamie to sleep with her so she wouldn't need to go upstairs. I woke up in the middle night and couldn't find her so went upstairs and she was sound asleep on my side of the bed.

TeriM
November 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear he is feeling so much better :D

technodoll
November 14th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Reminds me of the time when Lucy hurt herself and I was all worried about her so I sent up my foamie to sleep with her so she wouldn't need to go upstairs. I woke up in the middle night and couldn't find her so went upstairs and she was sound asleep on my side of the bed.

OMG that is hilarious! LOL :D

thanks everyone, i am sooo surprised at the quick recovery... and so very much relieved :o

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Yey! Great for Dakotah! :)

(And funny story TeriM)

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'm glad Dakotah is feeling better. We always worry too much :shrug:

OntarioGreys
November 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Great news!

I am not saying aspirin is bad, just that some individual dogs(breed has no bearing) just like people cannot handle aspirin and the consequences can result in death if a hole is eaten through the stomach wall causing the contents of the stomach to then enter the abdominal cavity which poisons the dog to death, which is why I provided symptoms to watch for. In dogs that may have pre exist blood clotting problems it can result in gastro bleeding, nose bleeds or even accidently cutting the quick of their nails, bumping into something causing bruising can be lifethreatening without a blood transfusion. (which why Maya can never have ) .

My son is 26 years old aspirin even in Neocitron can kill him, a few years ago he had the flu a had a cup not even thinking it may contain aspirin, then ended up spending almost 10 days in hospital with tubes stuck everywhere, part of that time in critical condition and on meds for months afterward and even now has to be very very careful with his diet. (no caffiene, no alcohol, watch the spices, fatty food etc)

technodoll
November 14th, 2006, 10:13 PM
My son is 26 years old aspirin even in Neocitron can kill him, a few years ago he had the flu a had a cup not even thinking it may contain aspirin, then ended up spending almost 10 days in hospital with tubes stuck everywhere, part of that time in critical condition and on meds for months afterward and even now has to be very very careful with his diet. (no caffiene, no alcohol, watch the spices, fatty food etc)

OMG that is horrible! is he ok now? :eek: poor guy, that is awful. just like a food allergy, things can go very wrong, very fast - yikes.

rainbow
November 15th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Glad to hear that Dakotah is up and running again. :highfive:

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Yay, Dakotah! :highfive: Glad everything turned out so well for the handsome boy! :thumbs up

angeldogs
November 15th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Glad to hear dakota is doing much better.:thumbs up

OntarioGreys
November 15th, 2006, 08:49 AM
OMG that is horrible! is he ok now? poor guy, that is awful. just like a food allergy, things can go very wrong, very fast - yikes.

He's fine as long as he watches his diet, but vets have had to deal with the same thing in dogs and have watched some die and why many are really against giving aspirin to dogs or having people on forums recommending it for pain especially post surgerically or for injuries that may require surgery

Rob n Cody
November 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Glad to hear he's feeling better!! I'm always skeptical that they may be milking the sympathy vote for extra treats.....and apparently a spot on the bed! :crazy:
R

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM
And then? Where are the movies? :D