Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

specific gloves and lubricant for gland expre...

theroman
November 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Hello all,

first time poster, long time visiter.

I am going to start expressing my dogs anal glands for the first time. I was showed how to do this from my vet and, I forgot to ask which kind of lubricant I would use or if regular latex gloves were ok?

any comments,suggestions are appreciated.

thanks.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
If you use latex gloves make sure to use a non-petroleum based lubricant. The only risk with latex is allergies... Vinyl ones are less likely to cause allergies..:shrug:

Good luck. It's a nasty business you're getting yourself into.:p

heidiho
November 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, Why Would You Not Have Your Vet Do It>>ewww No Thanks On That Job

t.pettet
November 13th, 2006, 11:39 PM
With gloves on you might not get the proper feel of the anal gland (slippery) and could either squeeze too hard or not hard enough to expel them. Uncovered thumb and middle finger positioned deeply on either side of gland and a hand washing is all thats necessary.

heidiho
November 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM
hmm where is anal gland man

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I expressed my dog's anal gland for the first time about a month after she had a horrible abcess bc she started scooting.

It's actually not as horrible as I thought it was going to be...but my dog is only 13 lbs.

I did it during bath time without using gloves....1. so I can make sure everything washes and her bottom was clean and 2. she's quite small and her anal glands are tiny! I wouldn't have been able to do it properly.

heidiho
November 14th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Well there is no way for me personally that i would do it,i would rather pay 20.00 and have ny vet go in there.ewww

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I've only done it a couple times in a park with gloves on... If you can't get a good grasp, you just have to take your time... No need for bare fingers with a large breed doggy.... EVER. :D

Oh and make sure if you do go gloveless, your nails are short. ;)