Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A super dog at the Superdogs

Esaunders
November 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Talk about an excursion for a young dog. Amos the ES, my bf & I all went to the Royal Winter Fair together.

After he got over the surprise of the crowds, smells and noise, we were off and running. We wandered & ate. Amos wandered with us and sniffed mightily. Children appeared from everywhere wanting to pat, the majority asked very nicely or their parents did. One little girl, who couldn't have been much more than a year old toddled up, hugged him gently on the shoulders and planted a kiss on the top of his shoulderblades. What a shame I didn't have a camera.

We even went into the Coliseum to watch the Superdogs together. Amos tucked under my seat and popped out occasionally onto the stairs to watch Superdogs run agility and perform tricks. He was fascinated by the big Irish Setter going through the weave poles. My bf couldn't get over Amos' watching intently, you could see him tracking them around the ring as far as he could see.

Then we took him through the sheep area. A herding dog dog he is not! As we were wandering down an aisle, one sheep was in its pen facing Amos. Amos proceeded to freeze in horror, wide-eyed and slowly crept by. Until the sheep moved to watch him. OMG GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME!!!!! Amos proceeded to bolt behind me and bark his fool head off. Cows? Horses? Miniature horses? Goats? No problem. Sheep? AHHHHH!!!!!

Too bad we didn't find the chickens, he might have liked those better.

Today, he's exhausted. So much patting, sniffing, walking & excitement is hard on a young dog. What a good boy, I really couldn't have asked for much better.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM
hee hee Poor guy- no more counting sheep for him. He'd have nightmares.:D

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
It is a fantastic event I used to attend with Sunny and once with Callie as the greyhound adoption groups would have there own booths there

Frenchy
November 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Wow,I didn't know you could bring your dog ! Too bad you couldn't take any pics, we defenetly don't see enough of Amos :frustrated: hint hint.......

Esaunders
November 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM
lol ... ok ok I'll get on the photos.:crazy:

Some cookie seeking shots...

Esaunders
November 14th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Some park shots, beware the headless setter!

doggy lover
November 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I went to the Royal too, I didn't know that you could take your dogs. I have seen training seeing eye dogs, rescue dogs and sometimes the farmers that show cattle or horses bring their dogs but I didn't think anyone else could. Tucker would have loved the smells, but I don't know about the crowds.
I met a lady from the border collie rescue and they had a puppy named Skip who had a missing bone in his leg and needed a cast type thing on his leg to help him walk on it. He was a beautiful red\tri he is up for adoption on their website. I wish I could take on another but Tucker is enough for me right now. I hope he finds a good home.

wdawson
November 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM
bet tucker would have liked the meadow muffins best :D :eek:

doggy lover
November 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Yep he would have eaten them. My sisters and my daughter were there working on a friends cattle and when they came home he cleaned their boots for them.:yuck:

Esaunders
November 14th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I haven't found any official policy on dogs and the RAWF but:
- the horse people bring their dogs & it isn't a problem
- I emailed asking about it 1 1/2 weeks ago and had no response
- quite a few other people brought their dogs, including a stunning 15 week old harlequin dane pup and some sweet little yorkies in backpacks.
- the only comments I got from the people at the front gate were "Isn't he gorgeous"
- no comments made one way or the other bringing him into the Coliseum either

So, as long as you have a well-behaved dog, it seems that they are unofficially pretty welcome. I'd make sure that you are very certain of your dog's reaction to crowds and being touched by strangers, its close quarters, not everyone is animal savvy and there are alot of children.

I made sure I kept him away from the food areas too, just for the politeness' sake. (and to keep him from snatching the odd bag of hambuger buns)

Frenchy
November 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
awww , at last ! He is so beautiful ! Anymore of those pics hiding somewhere? :D