Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obedience training

shoulderlean
November 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Im bringing home my new shih tzu puppy in just over a week and was thinking about obedience training at petsmart. Is this a good idea? are they helpful in terms of this training session? its 110.00 for an 8 week training session... one per week.

He will be 7 weeks old when i bring him home...would it be wiser to wait a lil longer before sending him to obedience training?

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Definitely wait longer. Puppies from questionable breeders can have a host of diseases that are very contagious to other dogs. And from the puppy's point of view, there would be too many things for its little underdeveloped immune system to handle at that age.

Esaunders
November 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
If you are referring to the Petsmart in Mississauga ON, I have taken obedience there.

The environment is quite distracting but the trainer that I have worked with (Patty) is quite good. Formal obedience & agility competition experience and her personal dog (a nice young shepard) is beautifully trained.

shoulderlean
November 13th, 2006, 05:44 PM
In fact, that is the one i was referring to. When looking for a cage i saw the area and asked a few questions. I was then pointed to the trainer and i noticed the dog. Youre right, very nice dog and very well trained.
thanks for your input, but do you feel the same as Prin where i shouldnt take my dog to obedience training that early??

At what age do you recommend i take my dog to obedience training?

Esaunders
November 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Well, the Petsmart website indicates that the age range for the Puppy class is 10 weeks to 5 months.

As long as you're up to date on the vaccination as per the 2006 protocols and within the class range, probably anywhere from 10 weeks onward.

Here's the link to the vaccination protocols
http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/vaccine_guidelines06.pdf