Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Humping Female Puppy...

monkey04
November 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Just was curious if anybody else has a female dog that humps them!

For whatever reason, when I'm sitting down with my legs crossed, she'll come over climb up on one and start humping it! At first I thought I was crazy and thought she was just trying to climb up...but...it's keeps happening! My husband didn't believe me until he saw it, and the weirdest thing is she doesn't to it to him!
It was happening for a bit just before we got her spayed, and I figured it would stop afterwards, but it hasn't!

Crazy dogs!:pawprint:

~michelle~
November 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
i dont know but i saw my female cat doing this to the TV the other day

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
ah yes, dominance!

she's just trying to show you she's the boss... a behavior you need to curb ASAP. it might be cute, but it's inappropriate and can lead to bigger troubles down the road as she matures. Subordinates never hump alphas. Are you practicing good leadership skills at home, 24/7?... :dog:

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I totally agree with technodoll.

ilovelola
November 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
When our dog is playing with the cat she will sometimes hump him. As far as I know, yes it is a display of dominance.

You need to show your dog that you are in control, not the other way around. Otherwise your dog will not listen to you. When I took my dog to obedience training they gave us a lot of tips on how to show your dog that you are in charge. Before you give them food or take them outside or pet them, you have to make them do something for you, for example make your dog sit before you give it attention. The most important thing to do is a 30 minute down. Put your dog in a down position working your way up to 30 minutes. You will probably have to hold your dog down at first and eventually hopefully it will stay down while you do other things. Don't let it get up until you tell it to.

mafiaprincess
November 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm with Techno. When Cider was a pup she humped the ex boyfriend, and the roomate. Thought she was dominant to them because they never corrected it.

She's currently humping the other female dog at the house I'm visiting to repeatedly prove her dominance too. It's more like play now, but the first 2 hours was a dominance struggle.

Ptrcmcc6
November 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Wow........I never knew "humping" was a dominance thing. My dog Copper use to try to "hump" my leg or whatever part of mine or my son's body that he could when he would play. I quickly make him stop doing it whenever he tries to. I'm glad to hear I was doing the right thing.

Patty

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM
patty, if you have other questions or need advice... we're here to help! and keep up the good puppy training :)

meb999
November 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
and the weirdest thing is she doesn't to it to him!

That's because she sees him as the alfa male (the top dog), and she's trying to chalenge you for second place. It's unacceptable behavior, I agree with techno, it needs to be stopped.

~michelle~
November 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
so is my cat trying to dominate the TV ?!?! :crazy: i tink she was trying to knock the TV over actually..... but it was a bizare thing to wake up to

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM
michelle, i don't think the "cat world" is the same as the "dog world" in terms of body language, etc :rolleyes:

H.P.
November 14th, 2006, 02:49 PM
My puppy (female, 5 months) has started doing this to my throw pillows, I guess that she will dominate the pillows, since the cat and I won't let her dominate us? I still tell her no, and take the pillow away. It is just kinda wierd!

pug lover
November 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM
growing up we had 2 female spayed pugs there favorite place to hump each other was the back window of the car:o they would take turns:shrug:

Prin
November 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM
My puppy (female, 5 months) has started doing this to my throw pillows, I guess that she will dominate the pillows, since the cat and I won't let her dominate us? I still tell her no, and take the pillow away. It is just kinda wierd!

Yeah, Jemma has a humping bed. I let her hump it. She can dominate that bed all she wants, because it doesn't affect me (I'm not being dominated).:shrug:

jesse's mommy
November 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Wow, I guess I'm really lucky. Jesse has never tried to hump anything, but she does argue with you if she doesn't get her way. :rolleyes: Lots of roooroooorooooos! It's like she's throwing a temper tantrum!

Ptrcmcc6
November 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM
That must have been pretty embarrassing, Pug Lover.......lol.

Patty

TMac
November 17th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with Technodoll and Prin. I was told once by a trainer that our dog was mounting my husband's leg because he saw him as being on the same level as him - like a sibling. He's never done that to me but I think its because I'm crazy about training him all the time (the dog, not the husband - LOL) so he knows I'm the boss! After I told my embarassed husband this, he put a stop to it right away and has since been asserting his leadership role over our silly dog. :crazy: I haven't seen it happen since!

Here's one for Pug lover.....my old dog used to get so excited with his car rides that he'd hump anything in the back seat...blanket...someone's coat...or even just the air! You can't imagine how many times we've parked for a couple of minutes in a parking lot and had people pointing at our car and bursting into gales of laughter!!!!! :o

MyBirdIsEvil
November 17th, 2006, 11:09 PM
michelle, i don't think the "cat world" is the same as the "dog world" in terms of body language, etc

Actually cats will hump things to prove dominance too.
I've never seen a cat hump an inanimate object though like dogs sometimes do, that's really weird. I've seen unfixed female cats in heat try to get it on with inanimate objects, but that's a whole different thing, lol.

igauresh
November 18th, 2006, 04:47 AM
That is really weird. I haven't seen a puppy humping. If it's true that pets do this to show dominance, then you might want to seek a dog trainor's help or if you can do it yourself, you might want to teach him how to behave.