Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

looking for pet steps

t.pettet
November 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Briefly saw ad on TV for pet steps (Canadian site), my Annie could sure use them, if anyone can remember company name offering them please post, thanks.

~michelle~
November 13th, 2006, 02:59 PM
www.petsteps.com will deliver to Canada. howver they care very exspensive for something they you could make at home. are you handy at all? it would really only take some plywood, and a few nails and a saw. then you could pick out the fabric you want at the local store and get a light padding and all you have to do it glue it. then you could have it match your house. they charge 120 for small ones and you could probably make it for 30$

mafiaprincess
November 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I saw ones at walmart 4-6 months ago.. People didn't like them because they were 'hard' as opposed to the company that makes spongey ones..

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Get some styrofoam from a building supply store and build own you can even carpet over them to match home decor, it can make a light weight steps that can be moved around or used for getting in and out of a truck/suv

susieqt
November 13th, 2006, 09:10 PM
In this year's Sears Wishbook, on page 674, there are some nice ones priced at $39.99, for dogs up to 70 pounds. I was thinking of getting them as they are not too pricey.

mummummum
November 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Pet steps are WAY over-priced. If you key in "pet steps" in the search function on this site there is a great link for instructions on making some out of styrofoam sheets ~ very easy, very inexpensive. You may also want to think ramp instead of steps if your dog is bigger or you have storage/space issues or you need it for getting in and out of vehicles. I've been keeping my eye on ebay and the pet stores for sales on telescoping ramps for my grrrl Ceili but they never seem to go on sale. :sad:

pug lover
November 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM
pet smart also carries them

however we just use a box for rosie to be able to hop into bed with us

works for her:thumbs up

Toonces
November 14th, 2006, 05:14 PM
You could try this site
http://www.handicappedpets.com/steps/

They look easy enough to make if you knew a handyman

Boubou
November 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Or you could just order them at SEARS for $39.99!!!!

SnowDancer
November 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
If you can't make them, I suggest you try and find a store that sells them so that you can try them out yourself. I saw some at a couple of Ontario stores and after trying them I gave them the thumbs down. As MafiaPrincess pointed out, she has seen steps that are very hard - this was the case with the models I tried. I have seen the much more sponge like type - I think at the 2005 dog show in Toronto. I used to have mini Dachshunds, so I evaluated the "hard" steps based on whether they would have been suitable for my guys - they wouldn't have been. Also the step depth was a bit short - even for a 10 lb. Dachshund. I think I would go the ramp route before the hard steps. My 22 lb. Eskimo can clear the bed but should he develop any form of leg problems - Patellar Luxation or Cruciate Ligament - a ramp it would be.

angeldogs
November 16th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I just see some the other day at super pet.

Mocha's mum
November 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Depends on why you need the steps, I think. If it's just because your puppy is little, there are some nice ones at Sears (mentioned above), and also at PetSmart. If your doggy has a back issue (like IVDD), a ramp is preferred. :)