Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teacup Maltese depressed

glenbecky2002
November 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Hello. This is my first visit and post to your site. I'm hoping to get some advice. I have 4 dogs, had four dogs. This morning my elderly teacup Yorkie passed away. His life partner, a female teacup maltese, was present as he slipped away. I know I didn't help things by freaking out. I was hysterical! I was screaming and running around with him in my arms trying to get ahold of the vet. And then I ran from the house with him in my arms and jumped in the car to get to the closest vet to try to save him, to no avail. I feel aweful for her to have had to watch this unfold before her little eyes. She is definately lost now. We are going to erect a memorial garden for him in which he will be laid to rest this afternoon. For a small portion of the morning I groomed and dressed him. I placed him in the dining room on the table so I could get myself together and just try to absorb all that has just happened. When I returned to the dining room, my little girl was laying quietly beneath the table and was uninterested in leaving that spot. I let her be for about 20 minutes and then removed him. Since removing him she has slipped into an even deeper depression. I want to help her through this, but I don't know how. I am trying to be strong but can't help but cry when I hold her because I have never held just her it has ALWAYS been both of them, together. I'm scared that in her old age she might not be able to handle this loss. Both little babies are over 10yrs old and have been together since 4months! What can I do to ease her pain? What can we do to help eachother overcome this tragidy? Could she suffer from a heart attack or other serious problem? Mayby I am over reacting, but what if I am not? I love my "kids" and want only the best for them.

cpietra16
November 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I know that everyone on this board has lived what you're going through. There is nothing you can do for your male dog who has passed away, but you need to try to keep your female very busy and give her all the attention. She is in mourning and it will be very hard on her. Your reaction, which was normal IMO may have stressed her so she really needs your attention. Again, I am sorry for your loss.