Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how to keep my puppy busy?

andreajoy
November 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
i just adopted a 3 month old black lab/border collie mix...and she seems sort of bored. we've been to petsmart many times already and the ONLY thing she wants to chew on or play with are rawhide bones! we've tried a kong (stuffed with treats), balls, and rubber bones.

i'm worried about her eating too much rawhide and she's teething, so i know she needs to chew. she's also sort of running around the house, looking for something to play with.

i've never owned a puppy before...so all of this is new to me and please, forgive my ignorance. from what i understand, this is a very busy breed and they need "a job to do." but i can't seem to keep her stimulated!

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.

~michelle~
November 13th, 2006, 01:31 PM
are you playing with her, she might be more interestied in interacting woth you than her toys, maybe she could do both and then when you're not around she'll play with the toys. have you tried rubbing the toys she doesnt play with the your hands to get your scent on it? it might make the toy more comforting to her, then maybe she'll like it. also try bringing her around some other dog that you know and let them play together, maybe she doesnt really know that to do but watching another dog play with those toys might show her that its fun, plus it will be a great socializing opportunity (ive never had a puppy either but this really helped with a rescue dog that i had and he didnt play much with toys either)
good luck

skeetsh00ter
November 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM
when my dog was a puppy she was the same way, she's and Australian Cattle dog mix so she too is very active. The only toythat she likes (loves actually) are the Chicken flavored Nylabones. She will chew on it all day long. They are also pretty much indestructible, she's been chewing on the same one for almost a year now and you can hardly tell.

A more drastic approach, and I think the best option for keeping your puppy busy is to adopt another one:thumbs up

monkey04
November 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Hey there,

We recently rescued a collie/lab mix as well. She has definitely turned into more collie than lab, however. She is easily distracted and we do have problems playing fetch as she will start chasing the (stick/ball/toy/rope) and then find something else to look at or sniff.
Is your dog just easily distracted? Or does she just lay there all day?
Collie's are definitely very highly energized dogs and a lot of exercise is a must (a 10 minute walk once a day is definitely not enough!) Colllies by nature are herding dogs and they also need to run and "herd". What my husband and I now do is go to a fenced in ball diamond and chase her or have her chase us and be "herded". She loves it!
They need, need, need to run around, so I hope you have either a place to take her or a fenced back yard. If you run or jog, take your dog with you.
I've found that Shasta doesn't really play too well with toys indoors, but as soon as we take her outside and just let her RUN like crazy, she loves it!
Take her outside and run and chase her, that should not only tire her out, but she'll absolutely love it.

jessi76
November 13th, 2006, 06:48 PM
i just adopted a 3 month old black lab/border collie mix...and she seems sort of bored. we've been to petsmart many times already and the ONLY thing she wants to chew on or play with are rawhide bones! we've tried a kong (stuffed with treats), balls, and rubber bones.

i'm worried about her eating too much rawhide and she's teething, so i know she needs to chew. she's also sort of running around the house, looking for something to play with.

rawhide is dangerous for a FEW reasons... it can cause blockage if a chunk is swallowed and rawhide can have bacteria, which can be harmful to a pup. so for your pup's safety - skip the rawhide altogether. a few moments of chewing is not worth the possible damage it can do.

instead, purchase puppy toys such as the Orka puppy toys. There are many to choose from, and are made for puppy stages.

a cheap chew toy is a CLEAN rag - tie a knot in the middle, wet it, and freeze it. let the pup chew on the frozen knotted rag. when it gets worn, or ripped, throw it out. it's a great CHEAP way to provide soothing relief. (old clean t-shirts work well for this - cut strips, knot, wet, freeze)

your pup is 3 months old. the only JOB this pup should have right now is learning the house rules, bonding with the family, socializing, and getting used to a few simple commands, such as sit, come, let's go, getting used to the leash, becoming comfortable with the vet, etc.

Unless your pup has had all her shots, you should keep her OUT of places such as petsmart. if she's gotten her shots, then start looking into puppy classes. it's really a great idea for first time puppy parents.

andreajoy
November 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM
i'm trying to break her of the rawhide because i know it's unhealthy. i was just hoping to find some good alternatives that she might actually LIKE!!! it's so trial and error (and a lot of wasted money) with puppy toys! :)

i got her through craigslist...one of those "free to good home" dogs. her old mommy had her on puppy chow and rawhide! sigh...so we're switching to hundchen flocken and..like i said, i'm finding new toys. with the washcloth...is there a worry that she'll shred it and swallow the pieces?

Thanks for the advice about keeping her out of petsmart. she's due for her final parvo vaccination next week. the woman who gave the dog to me wants to make sure that the dog is happy before she turns over the papers.

this sort of leads me to a threadjack on my own thread but...the previous owner has asked if she can come by on a regular basis to visit the dog. i agreed to it...but i didn't fully think about the ramifications to the dog when i agreed. this woman lives in a tiny apartment with another large dog and three kids...she said the puppy was a burden. i have a big house and a large yard...the puppy IS happy here...but i can tell she's missing her old family. this woman wants to come by THIS WEEK to see the dog and i think that's really going to break the dog's heart...because when her "old momma" leaves...she's going to be very sad.

what would you do in this situation? i can tell that this woman knows very little about dogs and i sort of feel she's being selfish. am i reading WAY too much into my dog's feelings?

oh goodness..thanks for reading if you've gotten this far!

~andrea

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM
andrea... you need to put your puppy first now, and that means cutting off all ties with its former (and not so good, by the sounds of it) life. "too bad, so sad" for whoever had her before, you know? you don't owe her anything :shrug: but you do owe your new furkid the best she deserves :love:

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 03:22 AM
the woman who gave the dog to me wants to make sure that the dog is happy before she turns over the papers.

What papers? The puppy is a mixed breed. :confused:

I agree with technodoll....no contact with the previous owner. If you want you can give her updates over the phone or email and pics but no personal visits.

the ONLY thing she wants to chew on or play with are rawhide bones! we've tried a kong (stuffed with treats), balls, and rubber bones.

Have you tried nylabones?

with the washcloth...is there a worry that she'll shred it and swallow the pieces?

I would use a sturdier material like canvas or denim but still only under supervision.

andreajoy
November 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
What papers? The puppy is a mixed breed. :confused:

her shot records, microchip info, and license info..(although, i'm not sure she is licensed, only because she wasn't wearing the tag.)

sigh...i'm actually pretty worried about this because i KNOW the dog is going to cry when this lady leaves...last time the dog didn't cry...but this time, she knows what it means when the old owner leaves. after the dog was here for a few hours, the old owner called me and said that if the dog had cried when she left, she wasn't sure she would have left her here!!! i swear, she's selfish! i'm thinking i'm going to HAVE to let this woman over one more time in order to get all of the dog's info. this woman is acting as though the dog is still hers...(there was no discussion of a "trial") and i've already invested a lot of time, money, and emotion into my darling pup.

ahh well, i guess what will be, will be.

(btw..i keep calling her "the dog" because her original name is disgusting...and i'm still trying to find her a new name.)

~michelle~
November 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
u should post a photo and we can help you name her ;)

kmjx65
November 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I think that lady is definitely being selfish. Maybe she feels a little guilty for giving up the dog and her kids are upset about it. I'm sure she really does want the puppy in a good home but she's being unreasonable...withholding papers is not a good bargaining chip.....and it's not like it's a custody battle or anything.

If you do have her visit one more time (which is sounds like you're going to have to) tell her she can only come if she brings the paperwork and that this needs to be the last time she visit...for the sake of the puppy.

H.P.
November 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Ok, I know that I am giving the previous owner the benifit of the doubt, but with all the free to good home horror stories, shouldn't we give her some credit for wanting to make sure the dog went to a good home? (Which obviously she is in a good home now!) :shrug:
A lot of people don't know that Puppy Chow and rawhide are not good (I didn't before I found this forum), so let's not fault her for that (but maybe give her the web address here so she can learn?) Hopefully, if she does come to visit, the puppy will be happy to see her leave, she knows she has it better now!

HP

andreajoy
November 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Ok, I know that I am giving the previous owner the benifit of the doubt, but with all the free to good home horror stories, shouldn't we give her some credit for wanting to make sure the dog went to a good home? (Which obviously she is in a good home now!) :shrug:
A lot of people don't know that Puppy Chow and rawhide are not good (I didn't before I found this forum), so let's not fault her for that (but maybe give her the web address here so she can learn?) Hopefully, if she does come to visit, the puppy will be happy to see her leave, she knows she has it better now!

HP

hp,

you're right. thank you so much for this point of view. maybe it's ME who's being selfish for expecting someone who doesn't even know me to trust me!!!

well, hopefully everything goes well.

thanks again,
a