Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezing Cat

Weasel
November 13th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I have a question about a sneezing cat. My Jenny is 7 years old and she has never had an episode of sneezing before. She is a mixed breed (part Maine Coon) so we have to have her groomed two times a year to prevent mats forming. We did that about 3 weeks ago. Two weeks after that she started sneezing a lot. I talked to the doctor and he said that perhaps she became stressed out and her immune system was compromised and caused URI. Although she had no discharge from eyes or nose…only sneezing nor did she have a decrease in appetite. I was not convinced that it was URI. However, I let them treat her for that with an injection and a medication that was called PAP which the doctor said was part antibiotic and also anti-inflammatory. Unfortunately, we had a difficult time giving her the pill (she would spit it out most of the time). So I called the doctor and asked if there was something else we could try that was liquid rather than a pill and he gave her Amoxi (which is better). However the sneezing has not been getting better yet after about 4 days of giving it to her.

I am wondering if we may have an allergy problem rather than URI. So I have been thinking about things that may have changed around here lately. One thing is that about a month ago by mistake I bought Science Diet Hair Ball Control rather than Science Diet Light. Could she have an allergy to that perhaps? The only other thing we can think of is some new candles that I bought with a different fragrance. I just can’t think of anything that has drastically changed. Also, the sneezing seems to be worse during the night than during the daytime. We are baffled…do you have any ideas?

Thanks for any information you may be able to offer,

Weasel