Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

boxer chases his rear and then yelps with pain - Please help!

Andy Hollis
February 27th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Please help if you can

I have a male boxer about 1 and 1/2 years old, who has just recently gone off his food, he will eat but instead of finishing it in 10 mins it takes all day. He then started being sick after eating, where we immediately took him to the vets and a nausea injection was given to him. prior to him being sick there was a lot of drool found all over the carpet, no blood has been found in his sick or motions to date.

Today I let him out and checked his poo, it was fairly stiff but had some conjeeled brown stuff (sticky) in it which has alarmed me! we are going back to the vets today, even booking an earlier appointment than we were given.

He has now started to chase his tail and yelp whilst doing this, i have checked his rear and can not find any bleeding, swelling or irritation, discharge of any kind but it is really upsetting both me and my partner to see him like this. our vet has been useless so far. He has not been in any contact with other dogs that are poorly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please reply to this or e-mail me directly at ANDY@hol16178.freeserve.co.uk

Carina
February 27th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Ohh...I'm sorry I don't have any clever ideas, how frustrating for you & your dog!

If it's possible for you to find another vet for a second opinion, I'd definitely suggest this.
I'll just keep my fingers crossed you figure out what's going on, please let us know!

mona_b
February 27th, 2004, 07:29 AM
I agree with Carina 100%.

Get a second opinion.You have already stated that your vet has been useless.

Where any tests taken?

Andy Hollis
February 27th, 2004, 07:45 AM
No tests have been taken, yet. none were even suggested. I didn't get a good nights sleep at all, even taking him to bed with us so that we could keep an eye on him.

We love him to death, and really hate to see him in pain, but i feel physically sick with worry and i'm a bloke at that. I am so frustrated that we can't do nothing for him and have to rely on others, spending my last pound on him if needed.

Thanks for your replys, nice to know your out there!

p.s. I have been on the net since 06:00am this morning tring to find answers (now 2 in the afternoon).

amaruq
February 27th, 2004, 07:59 AM
(((andy)))
Oh boy I would get the vet to check the anal glands. They could be infected or impacted.

Please update ok? And best of luck!

Andy Hollis
February 28th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Hi all

Just an update, took my boy to the vets yesterday, where another vet took a look at him checking his abdominal area and his anal glands. Apparently there is no sign of a blockage or "foreign body" and the anal glands show no sign of infection.

The vet had checked the anal glands and also used some sort of device to inspect inside the anal area. She has told us to keep a close eye on him and bring him back if the symptons persist or worsen.

She has given him a dietry suppliment of rice and chicken (Tinned) that has been developed for sensitive digestive systems and a paste called 'Kolin' (this might only be abvailable in the uk) that has to be given orally in a syringe, behind the back teeth. This he doesn't like, don't blame him it smells foul! The tinned suppliment is to be given as small meals often and the oral paste twice a day.

So far, he has kept all his dinner down and he hasn't chased his rear and yelped, touch wood! So fingers crossed, he is getting better. He has worried us but he's worth it.

Carina
February 28th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Hmmm...well I am glad he's maybe feeling a bit better.

I wonder if he could have pulled something in his lower back & has a pinched nerve or something? That can affect digestion & pooping, I believe, and it would be uncomfortable. Just a wild guess there. That sort of thing could well resolve on its own as it heals.

Do you have a picture of him you can post here? Boxers are such beautiful dogs, so athletic looking.

Andy Hollis
March 2nd, 2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Everybody!

Thanks for all your replies. Buster seems to be on the mend! It seems that he has had a stomach cold, this being a possible cause for the spining around and yelping. He is back to eating his dinner again, even though we have changed it for variety. We have had him upstairs where it is warmer and this seems to have done the trick.

Whilst I personally wouldn't recomend it, someone has suggested that, if it was a stomach cold, I might try Indian brandy! This is apparently used to treat small children with a stomach cold and is safe to use on mans best friend, but i will be leaving it as an old wives tale.

I am dissapointed that most of the help received over the last few days has been from you guys out there and not from the qualified professionals. What happened to good old fashioned knowledge from years back. You pay all this money out because you care deeply for you best friend and get no where!

Once again thank you for your replies and much appreciated help.
what a great bunch of people.

Carina
March 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
What's Indian brandy?
I remember Irish whiskey doing absolute wonders for my bad back...a few gallons of that fixed me right up. :D But they tell me being drunk all the time isn't really the best way to deal with pain, oh well!

Well I'm glad he's on the mend. One of the best vets I ever knew was an old codger who used to be a ranch vet out in Colorado. That guy had more common sense & oddball cures up his sleeve than any vet I've ever known, and he never steered me wrong.
He's retired now & his son took over the clinic, but I moved away from Colorado about the same time.

Montclair Animal Clinc in East Denver, (the 'hood) if anyone's interested. :)

amaruq
March 2nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
lol@Carina

WTG Andy! I'm glad to hear the dog is on the mend. I tend to do a lot of searching to. The vet thoght i was nuts when i said the one dog had Demodex mange. Took a test and sure enough thats what it was. Sad I had to pay to be told I was right? But vets are there for a reason...they can do much more then we can...sometimes :D