Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is having seizures, can someone please help?

lcambrosia
November 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I need help! Braddock is not quite 6 months old and just started having seizures Thursday (11/9/2006). Between Thursday morning at 6:30am and Friday afternoon at 12:15pm, he has had about 8 seizures (cluster seizures). Braddock is a Border Collie that is deaf, he was cryp orchid(sp) (testicles did not descend), we had issues when he was about 3 months old of what we thought was obsessive compulsive disorder (he is currently on prozac). He would run the same pattern in the backyard and stop at certain points, pounce, bark, rip out the grass, drool and wouldn't pay attention to any commands. It gradually got worse and continued in the house, the car, the vet's office. After the Prozac and quite a bit of work we were able to almost stop the behavior in all areas. Then starting on Thursday the cluster seizures started, finally the alst onr on Friday he was administered rectal valium and Saturday started on Phenobarbotyl (sp), but he is continuing to have mild seizures about 4 to 5 a day. He now has reverted back to a small pup and forgets his training, urinating in the house, curious about things he has not payed any attention to for months, constantly looking for food and water no matter how much we give him and mounting the other dogs (he was just fixed and has never done that before). His blood work has come back normal, including a bile acid test for a liver shunt. The vet says they feel the prognosis is not good with all of the other issues. He is such a sweet little guy and we love him dearly. They keep telling us that he is to young for epilepsy, is that true? Could he have brain damage from the seizures? Can anyone please help!

pitgrrl
November 13th, 2006, 11:41 AM
These sites, if you haven't already found them, will likely be helpful.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Rob n Cody
November 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Hey there
I actually just posted a similar msg in the "dog acting abnormally" thread....Cody was diagnosed with epilepsy in 1998 (when she was 4) and it is treatable on some level (but not cureable). I'm not sure if 6 months is too young to be diagnosed with it, but I wouldn't think so. Those websites (and the many others dedicated to this problem) may be helpful. I do know that Border Collies are more prone to it than some other breeds (that comes from my Vet) so it may not be so far fetched.
Prolonged seizures can cause damage, so they should be monitored, and taken to the vet when this happens.
There are a number of different treatments (Cody is on Potassium Bromide for hers) and your vet can figure out the best course of action depending on your situation.
My heart goes out to you - I know how difficult it is to watch your baby go through it, but the thing to keep in mind is that they do not feel pain when it's happening, and rarely even know what's happened when it's over.
Please let me know what happens, and best of luck for you and your baby
R

coppperbelle
November 13th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Poor little guy has been through hell and back. I had a foster with epilepsy last year and when looking through his paperwork I noticed that it did take awhile for them to find the right dose of medicine for him. He has been free of seizures for over a year. He does drink excess amounts of water which is a side effect of the pheno. As a result he also pees a lot.

OntarioGreys
November 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Do you use a flea collar or flea products, was he given heartworm meds recently(like last 2 weeks) ?

erykah1310
November 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Poor Braddock :sad: Seizures are horrible.

I had success with the pheno ( for my rottie) however pehaps the prozack could be interfering with the pheno???:confused: :shrug:

To me I wouldnt put my BC on prozac and he displayed all the same behaviour as your pup... and still does when he gets bored. However that is not the topic at hand..

Your dog isnt too young for epilepsy... he could have been born with it.

I am keeping my :fingerscr that you can get the seizures undercontrol. They seem so horrible....

As far as him reverting to a puppy,,, im sorry I have no suggestions on that.

lcambrosia
November 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
He does not wear a flea or tick collar, he is given a flea treatment on his back. He was given his heart worm and flea treatment about 2 -3 weeks ago.

As for the prozac, it was a last resort after trying to pull him out of what we called "imaginery bugs." It was so bad that the only thing that he would respond to was water. He would not eat, go to the bathroom or pay attention to us or the other dogs. He was drooling profusively to the point that he would fall from sliding in it. He was so consumed in it that he wouldn't do anything but that.

Thank all of you for all of the replies so far!

lcambrosia
November 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I am sad to report that our beautiful baby has gone to sleep and we miss him very much.

BusterBoo
November 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM
:rip: I am so sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Braddock....so young :sorry:

Did you ever find out for sure what was causing the seizures?

I will keep you in my prayers... :pray:

jawert1
November 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

Rob n Cody
November 29th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry..I don't even know what to say.
you're in my thoughts, and he's waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge

brandynva
November 29th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Oh poor baby. As the mom of a border collie I can't even imagine your loss. They are wonderful dogs. I know he is free now and waiting on you.

rainbow
November 29th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Braddock. :rip: :candle: :grouphug: