Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

canned salmon on sale

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM
for anyone living in Quebec or Ontario... "Tea Rose" canned salmon is on sale this week (until Friday) at Jean Coutu for $1/can - we already picked up 16 cans in two days :D the beanies are super-happy to have stinky fish again, LOL!

jiorji
November 13th, 2006, 10:19 AM
yum yum:D
enjoy the fish beanie fish breath TD!!:thumbs up hehe

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM
ha ha! actually with the Digestive Enzymes... pure sweet breath! :crazy: (thank goodness)

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Woo hoo! Thanks for the info TD. We're out of stinky fish and the doggies love it. Their fish-breath only lasts about a half hour, so not too bad.

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Well it's not going to do me much good but I'm just curious so I can compare. ;) What size can and is it sockeye or pink?

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
here is the info... just click your mouse on the image to get the details http://www.jeancoutu.com/circulaire/anglais/ON/ON_11nov_p10.html#

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I've never seen keta salmon here. We get pink for .89 to .99 on sale and sockeye for 1.99 to 2.49 on sale. Or sometimes the big tall can for 2.99 which is when I like to stock up. :D Do you rinse it in water first before giving it to the dogs?

meb999
November 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM
thanks for the heads up...I love a good bargain! Maybe I'll start feeding Buster fish again (things can't get any worse, so why not?!)

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Maybe I'll start feeding Buster fish again (things can't get any worse, so why not?!)

:eek: well it's a fatty fish... might not help with the cannon butt but it's super-good for his coat, LOL! :D

rainbow, i should rinse out the fish but i sometimes don't... lazy mom :o

meb999
November 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I know it won't help, but at least he'll enjoy it :D My boy loooves fish :p

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM
then you go girl! stock up! :p

erykah1310
November 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
TD how would you factor that into the diet????

Would I just substitute the other meat for the tuna???? I figure yes but just want to be sure.

The doggies havent had fish yet:eek: is maybe tuna not a good fish to start them with???

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
well it's canned salmon, not tuna :)

salmon is a rich and fatty fish, great for coats and skin condition. i would just feed it in addition to any raw food and not really take away anything else... a small can of salmon only weighs about 200 grams. ok if you have a fat dog that needs to lose weight, maybe watch out for the calories but otherwise.. :shrug: ya know? :D

erykah1310
November 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
well it's canned salmon, not tuna :)

hehehe :o not quite with it today!! No idea where I got tuna from???:confused:

technodoll
November 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM
hmmmm no idea!! maybe you're hankering for a tuna roll or something :D

Angies Man
November 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I used to have a neighbor who would invite me over for Salmon cakes. Now that you mention canned salmon, I suddenly have a craving for salmon cakes. Gonna have to go get some salmon.

Angies Man
November 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM
TD how would you factor that into the diet????

Would I just substitute the other meat for the tuna???? I figure yes but just want to be sure.

The doggies havent had fish yet:eek: is maybe tuna not a good fish to start them with???

Canned Tuna tends to be a bit high in sodium. And we've all heard the murcury warnings for pregnant or nursing moms and children. Tuna's good for an occasional treat, but probably not for daily use. I've never met a dog that didn't like tuna, btw. Angie thinks the olive oil my favorite tuna is packed in is the highest treat of all (even better than ice water from Starbucks!)

From what I've read, all canned salmon on the market (at least in the US) is wild run salmon from Alaska. I don't buy farm raised fish--supposed to be high in pcb and I don't like the fact that they tend to swim around in their own feces.