Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Would DVP or solid gold pieces of kibble cause watery diarrhea?

PetFriendly
November 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Hi There

We have an apppointment at the vet's office in 3 hours, but I'm really concerned.
Yesterday I bought sample packs of DVP Natural Balance sweet potato and fish as well as the solid gold allergy formula for Charley. To see if he liked either or both I gave him 6 or so pieces of each... At 5 am he had to 'go' so bad he messed on the kitchen floor, at 6 am he woke me up whining and I took him out and he had really watery diarrhea. Every half hour since we've been outside with the same results. To make matters worse, he's not eating breakfast and is dry heaving as a result of an empty stomach. I'm in the process of making rice (on the vet's recomendatin) to see if he'll eat that.

Would the pieces of new food have caused this or is it just a conincidence? :confused:

PetFriendly
November 13th, 2006, 12:16 PM
So the vet figures its probably something that he's eaten that made him sick. He doesn't have a fever and only has mild discomfort when poked. They gave him some subcutaneous fluids because he's dehydrated (from having the runs) as well as two cans of the gastric Medi-Cal that is to be fed to him a tablespoon per hour.

If he's not better in the morning, we are to go back and she will do some blood work. She didn't think it was an intestinal blockage, because he was refusing food and water altogether (though he did eat a rice based treat when we were in the exam room), we will re-evaluate the need for x-rays to detect a blockage if he gets worse.

Skryker
November 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Good luck with Charlie. :fingerscr that it's a minor stomach upset and won't last long.

Prin
November 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Sorry I didn't reply sooner... I definitely know it's not the kibble. My doggies have eaten whole samples of kibbles and despite being super sensitive, they never got sick.:shrug:

I just hope everything ends up ok.:fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear about Charley and fingers crossed that he will be okay. :fingerscr

I'm curious as to why you had to "buy" sample packs? :confused: They've always been free when I've gotten them. Did you check the expiry dates on them? I have gotten some that were expired which promptly went into the garbage. After that I always checked and brought it to the attention of the store owner.

PetFriendly
November 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I was shopping for new dog and cat food. I got 5 samples total, and paid for the two dog food samples, as they were the cheapest. I usually get them for free too, but then again, I don't usually get so many. There doesn't seem to be an expiration date or anything.. It smells ok (as far as dog food goes)

He's still got watery diarrhea, though its not straight liquid now... He's eating a bite here and there though so I'm hoping the fluids are helped :confused: Its times like these you wish they could talk...

PetFriendly
November 14th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Last night was not a good night. Charley had to go out 5 times between 22:00 and 6:00. Each time it was really runny, though not quite liquide. I'm calling the vet back this morning to ask about what to do now. He's not interested in food or water :( .

If anyone thinks this might be something that vets don't routinely check for, please let me know and I'll ask about it.

jawert1
November 14th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Giardia comes to mind, any sort of parasite testing, bloodwork (full panel). Peaches had an intestinal bacterial infection in the spring that gave her the runs in a big way. X-rays turned up a weird pocket of gas in her intestine, and it took the antibiotics about 3 days to work fully and she was fine.

PetFriendly
November 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Charley is doing much better since this morning. When I came home at lunch he had drank some water and only had one or two accidents (I had him set up comfortably in the bathroom with his crate, water and food dishes and newspaper). He was more alert and happy to see me. I took him out, sat with him a while and gathered what I could for a stool sample. The vet has prescribed some antibiotics, that I picked up and came back home to give him.
I'm happy to report that since I've been home , he's eaten many mouthfulls of the food and has been drinking water :thumbs up . He was also able to 'hold it' from lunch time until I got home (no worries, I've been here a while now ;) ) . He's having boiled chicken for dinner, on the vets recomendation and they will call tomorrow with the stool sample. They do not feel they need to admit him as of yet, as he is not dehydrated (gums aren't sticky) and is taking an interest in food.

Thank you all for your good thoughts, I'm sure they have helped.